The Student Room Group

Can you help me solve this Physics problem?!!

The centripetal force F on a spacecraft in circular orbit around the Earth is given by the equation F= mv^2/r
where
v is the orbital speed of the spacecraft
r =9.6 x 10.6^3km, is the radius of the orbit from the centre of Earth
m is the mass f the space craft

The centripetal force is in fact the gravitational force of the Earth pulling on the spacecraft as given by F = G ME m/r^2 where
G= 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2 is a constant,
Me = 5.98 x 10^24 kg is the mass of the Earth.

a) Show that the units of the left-hand side and right hand side of the following equation are consistent
mv2/r = GMEm/r2

b) Calculate the orbital speed of the spacecraft
Please show the step-by-step solution.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Sniper91
The centripetal force F on a spacecraft in circular orbit around the Earth is given by the equation F= mv^2/r
where
v is the orbital speed of the spacecraft
r =9.6 x 10.6^3km, is the radius of the orbit from the centre of Earth
m is the mass f the space craft

The centripetal force is in fact the gravitational force of the Earth pulling on the spacecraft as given by F = G ME m/r^2 where
G= 6.67 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2 is a constant,
Me = 5.98 x 10^24 kg is the mass of the Earth.

a) Show that the units of the left-hand side and right hand side of the following equation are consistent
mv2/r = GMEm/r2

b) Calculate the orbital speed of the spacecraft
Please show the step-by-step solution.

You just need to rearrange the equation and plug in the numbers.
Ek = 0.5mv^2
(v^2)/r = a = force / unit mass = GM/r^2 so v^2 = GM/r
1/2 * m * v^2 = 1/2 * m * GM/r = GMm/2R = kinetic energy at chosen point for the orbital object due to its rotation.

For B, we have the kinetic energy formula. 0.5*m*v^2 = GMm/2R, rearrange for V, put in numbers, you get the result.

Hope I'm correct :_;

Quick Reply

Latest