The Student Room Group

Want to switch course

I hate my biological natural sciences course at Cambridge and wasn’t able to secure a switch to a different course that I wanted to within Cambridge.

I want to go to bath univeristy to do computer science instead.

Bath has high employability and the course looks like it fits my interests really well, and my girlfriend goes there too.

Is this a stupid idea ? Should I just stay on my current course even though i don’t like it ? Is the “Cambridge factor” worth it when it comes to the future ? Help me :frown:
Well your education matters. If you want to switch to cs, go for it. What year are u in at uni? It'll be difficult if ur midway into uni life so you'll have to keep on studying chem. You could ask for help from your lectures to lessen ur struggles or maybe one of your friends who does chem as well. Try finding resources online.

But if ur in ur first year, ig there's no harm leaving cambridge ┐⁠(⁠*⁠∵⁠*⁠)⁠┌, although it is ine of the prestigious un ever. Maybe give it another chance??
I think some more information needs to be provided about why you want to change, and why you want to change to CS specifically. Also whether you meet the usual entry criteria for CS degrees (A-level Maths at least, ideally FM). As not all CS degrees are the same and depending on your motivation you may also find that switching course does not meet that expectation.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I think some more information needs to be provided about why you want to change, and why you want to change to CS specifically. Also whether you meet the usual entry criteria for CS degrees (A-level Maths at least, ideally FM). As not all CS degrees are the same and depending on your motivation you may also find that switching course does not meet that expectation.

Hi I have fm and maths and the grades to go to imperial or bath(the 2 unis I want). I miss doing applied maths and the problem solving aspects, I think cs would be more tailored to these things and I would enjoy more as a result.
Reply 4
Original post by FizzNeedsHelp
Well your education matters. If you want to switch to cs, go for it. What year are u in at uni? It'll be difficult if ur midway into uni life so you'll have to keep on studying chem. You could ask for help from your lectures to lessen ur struggles or maybe one of your friends who does chem as well. Try finding resources online.

But if ur in ur first year, ig there's no harm leaving cambridge ┐⁠(⁠*⁠∵⁠*⁠)⁠┌, although it is ine of the prestigious un ever. Maybe give it another chance??

I am in first year, it’s not the difficulty I am struggling with just the lack of enjoyment that I’m getting from my course but maybe it will get better ?
Original post by Orlandobdhsbs
Hi I have fm and maths and the grades to go to imperial or bath(the 2 unis I want). I miss doing applied maths and the problem solving aspects, I think cs would be more tailored to these things and I would enjoy more as a result.

If it's the calculus and the like you are missing you may find there is less of that in CS - it's more matrices and similar topics.

Honestly something like physics (or to a sometimes a lesser degree any physical science) would probably be the closest analogue to the kind of maths done in A-level. Did you take the Part IA Physics option in natsci? Or any of the other physical science options (chemistry, earth sciences, materials science)? If so you may find there is scope to pursue this within your current programme. Note also there is a mathematical biology option in Part IB now and the systems biology Part III course in natsci regardless.

If you didn't then it may well be worth exploring other options. Although realistically I think you'd find something like physics or materials science (or any engineering subject) more aligned to your interests than CS based on what you've said - as they do continue on with the breadth of A-level Maths in a similar format. CS is definitely very numerical but uses a more narrow range of topics more often. So perhaps also consider those other subjects?

In any event you can always apply through UCAS and then make a decision on it later in the summer. Don't feel like if you do apply elsewhere that you definitely have to leave your current course - and do continue engaging with your current course, as you may find you get to things you are more interested in as you go along this year.
Reply 6
Hi thanks so much for this reply.

It’s less the specific maths and more the problem solving that it all comes with.

Surely computer science would have a lot of this as programming is mostly problem solving.
What a levels did u do at sixth form again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending