The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~*glitter*~
i fell over at work, and i put my arm on the hotplate burning all my skin of my arm and hand, ive spoken to quite a few people about my ordeal and all have said i have a right to make an idustrial injury claim.

this is a picture take 2 days ago, it will be 4 weeks today (3/8/04) since i did it, it will probably be scarred

you shouldve complained earlier...you wont get much money, and youdve gone to so much trouble over peanuts...but you have nothing to lose really.
Reply 21
ThornsnRoses
you shouldve complained earlier...you wont get much money, and youdve gone to so much trouble over peanuts...but you have nothing to lose really.

actually she has a lot to lose, for one i'd not write a good reference for someone who just sued me! and secondly it may prove difficult to explain to future employers about your time in court suing various people. put it down to experience and don't grab hold of hot plates next time!
And you wouldn't want to employ someone who is going to sue you if she falls over and hurts herself claiming the floor wasn't right
Reply 23
BloodyValentine
And you wouldn't want to employ someone who is going to sue you if she falls over and hurts herself claiming the floor wasn't right

yeah i mean if the problem was known surely she knew and should of avoided it anyhow?
Vladek
yeah i mean if the problem was known surely she knew and should of avoided it anyhow?

not so much that you fall over its your fault hey bad luck with the arm but watch where your walking. By suing your boss you're just clogging up the courts with your pointless little case
Reply 25
Hmm, normally I am against people suing left right and centre. But if it actually was the negligence of the employer then go ahead and sue.
Reply 26
I really think in these circumstances legal action would be petty and most likely very unproductive. However, you could make a formal complaint - there must be some procedure for that, and it would bring the matter to their attention (especially if you mention the potential legal implications) and hopefully get them to do something. Suing would be stupid.
Helenia
I really think in these circumstances legal action would be petty and most likely very unproductive. However, you could make a formal complaint - there must be some procedure for that, and it would bring the matter to their attention (especially if you mention the potential legal implications) and hopefully get them to do something. Suing would be stupid.

says the lawyer :smile:
Reply 28
ThornsnRoses
says the lawyer :smile:

can you be a lawyer at 20 :tongue:

not that i disagree with what she said
Helenia

Stick to your medicine, honey. :biggrin:
mobbdeeprob
Stick to your medicine, honey. :biggrin:

is she a medic? cool...i know shes a camberian
were talking about a big company here i think....so this is what i think. if you going to stay with them dont sue but make a formal complaint and ask to get sick pay.

if its only a summer job, if your solicitor says your going to win...sue them for every penny possible. they have insurance for this type of thing! and about the reference thing, if you do successfully sue for negligence then you dont have to provide them as a reference, you can just say it is not practical for them to give you one and a previous employer can give you one.

love Katy ***
ThornsnRoses

I don't know her from Eve - but she claims to be. You mean a cantabrian?
Reply 33
ThornsnRoses

Yes, I'm a Cantabrigian medic :smile:
Helenia
Yes, I'm a Cantabrigian medic :smile:

<To Thorns & Roses>
Yes, to paraphrase the lingo - what Helenia means is that she has committed her short-term future to unnecessary additional rigour (and all in a place with rubbish nightclubs, a failing Trust (in the form of Addenbrook's) and an excess of snobs) for little extra gain - seeing as she intends to become a lowly medical practitioner.

Yes, you're thinking exactly what I'm thinking - rather foolish. All the silly nomenclature and padgeantry, when all it really entails is working a lot harder - and in rather unpleasant surroundings at that. But then it's her personal choice. :biggrin:
Reply 35
mobbdeeprob
<To Thorns & Roses>
Yes, to paraphrase the lingo - what Helenia means is that she has committed her short-term future to unnecessary additional rigour (and all in a place with rubbish nightclubs, a failing Trust (in the form of Addenbrook's) and an excess of snobs) for little extra gain - seeing as she intends to become a lowly medical practitioner.

Yes, you're thinking exactly what I'm thinking - rather foolish. All the silly nomenclature and padgeantry, when all it really entails is working a lot harder - and in rather unpleasant surroundings at that. But then it's her personal choice. :biggrin:

It is absolutely. And I wouldn't have it any other way :tongue:
Helenia
It is absolutely. And I wouldn't have it any other way :tongue:

I'm glad to hear that we agree on something, even if my points were a little underemphasized. :biggrin:
You slipped on THEIR floor. When you slip over, you can't help where you fall or what you grab on to. In a way, you have a responsibilty to take legal action because if you don't, they'll care even less about their safety, and someone else could have a really serious accident. If the working environment isn't safe and they're not giving you sick pay, even though it was their fault, they don't sound like a very good employer anyway. Don't be unpleasant. Just be polite and reasonable at all times, and don't get personally involved. You can claim the sick pay and also claim compensation for the pain suffered and for the potential scarring. Try and let your legal representative deal with as much of the communication as possible. Probably best if you decide how much to ask them for and your solicitor asks them for it, explaining that if they refuse, you'll take them to court. No decent employer will look down on you for standing up for your rights, and if anybody asks you to provide references, give details of previous employers or teachers instead, but mention that due to your personal injury claim, it wouldn't be practical to ask this particular employer to be your referee. Don't be scared to take action because of future employers. You shouldn't be bullied into keeping quiet. It is only a small burn, but you suffered pain, and you wasted time going in and out of hospital, so you should be entitled to a small amount of compensation. Some people are making it out like, if you have a huge injury, sue, if it's only a small one, don't bother. It's not like that. If they are at fault, sue them. The amount of money for which you sue them is where the sense of proportion comes in.
ickle_katy
were talking about a big company here i think....so this is what i think. if you going to stay with them dont sue but make a formal complaint and ask to get sick pay.

if its only a summer job, if your solicitor says your going to win...sue them for every penny possible. they have insurance for this type of thing! and about the reference thing, if you do successfully sue for negligence then you dont have to provide them as a reference, you can just say it is not practical for them to give you one and a previous employer can give you one.

love Katy ***

Not to mention that it's more likely to look bad on an employer if they bring up a health and safety law case in someone's reference...and you aren't allowed to write and employment reference slagging someone off - if you can't say something nice then you're supposed to say nothing at all.
Reply 39
Why did you slip? Was there water/oil/cleaning fluids on the floor? Was there a notice warning you that the floor was slippery? Has anyone slipped over on the same floor/same floor surface at the park?

If there was stuff on the floor/no warning notice/someone else has slipped then your employer is likely to accept liability and settle without going to court. You can claim back all your costs (of travelling to hospital/painkillers/dressings) and some for your actual injury. Have you had to have any time off work? You should be able to claim any losses from that too.

You have a 3 year period from the date of the incident in which to bring a claim against your employer.

Not saying you should/shouldn't make a claim. If it's genuinely negligence on their part I doubt they'd be negative on a reference for you. Your incident has pointed out a genuine risk that they need to resolve before someone injures themselves far more seriously (or even kills themself! touch wood) due to the same thing - and then they'd be in far deeper doodoo than they are now.

Latest

Trending

Trending