The Student Room Group

English help!

Hi.

Last year, I gave my IGCSEs. I did quite well but unfortunately, ended up scoring a D in English Language B. I don't know what happened- or how it happened- it completely left me shattered! I have considered retaking the exam this January since I don't want a D in my marksheet.
I've been looking up useful resources on the internet and trying to read as many articles as I can. But the thing is, whenever I try to write an essay, I can't seem to do so. It feels as if my head is completely blank and I feel extremely anxious. I am afraid the conditions in the exam hall will make my situation worse. I was wondering if any of you could help me with my situation here.
I've been feeling very guilty about retaking the exams. And I don't want to fail this time.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Planning essays always helps. AND PAST PAPERS. Get used to doing them.
What do you have to do in your English B paper? (E.g. summaries, responding to an article, etc.)
Reply 2
There are basically three sections. Section A is comprehension- there are two passages and some questions provided. Section B is usually a letter/ report/ article/ speech. And section C is essay writing- argumentative/ descriptive/ story writing/ narrative. I don't think I have problems regarding section A. It's section B and section C I am worried about and I think I lost marks for that in my last exam. I won't say I am bad at writing but I tend to get anxious and when I try to brainstorm, I run out of ideas. I've tried reading some sample essays and looking up past papers and examiner reports but I am still worried I might score bad this time as well. This is my final chance and I don't want to mess this up. So I was hoping I could get some help here.

Quick Reply

Latest