The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think that Carphone Warehouse is rubbish?!

What happened was, in May, my old contract was running out so I looked on the CPW website to look for a new one. I'm really not fussed about phones, and I found one that came with free GHD straighteners, and the phone looked cool too, so I went for that one. It also came with 4 months half price line rental (£17.50 instead of £35 a month). So this is all good, the phone came the next day, with a letter saying the straighteners would be sent within 28 days.

Got my first phonebill, was like £37 or something. The next one was £40. After 6 weeks the GHDs still hadn't come, so I phoned up customer services. They said that with regards to my phone bill, it was a cheque back offer (this was nowhere in the small print, i've checked). I asked about the GHDs - "they'll be with you within 3-5 days". So i was like cool. Didn't get them. Phoned a month later (2 and a half months after i got the phone), "they'll be there within 3-5 days". Never showed up. So I phoned a couple of weeks ago and the man said again "3-5 days". This time I said "you said that last time, seriously, when will i get them?" He then admitted that CPW don't have any GHDs and have no idea when they are gonna get any in. :mad: I got my phone on the 22nd May! Its now the 2nd September! And, whats really annoying, is that they're still advertising them on the website! I've emailed them, but no reply.

Oh, and the phone (LG shine) is ****. It turns itself off about 10 times a day. Aaaaargh!

So, what i wanna know is, is there anything I can do? Tbh i've been conned cos the GHDs is the only reason I got that phone, I would have got a cheaper one otherwise?

Thanks for reading if you managed to get this far lol.
I don't use the high street shops as they have really poor deals but I have had a phone through CarPWarehouse before online and they were really really good -couldn't fault them in fact but then I didnt have anything go wrong with my phone!
Reply 2
MattG
I work for Orange, lots of customers complain about carphone warehouse :biggrin: a lot of the time it is people who haven't read the t&c's and CPWH have been sneaky and haven't informed them properly. They can be quite nasty to people with problems as well.

I think the best thing to do is go into the store you bought the phone, take all the documents (bills, details of contract etc) and complain to them rather than the phoneline, if you can remember the guy/girl who sold it to you even better (might say name on the reciept) the more things you've got on paper (eg something saying you would get the GHD's, someting saying half price line rental etc) the better, because they will most likely turn around and say "we never had a deal like that" if you don't. People on the phones will give you the company line (eg: 3-5 days) because they won't talk to you next time, in the store they should take action there and then. the line rental may be difficult to deal with, but highlight you were never informed of cashback issue at point of sale or in the t&c's, they are ******* for not doing so!

good luck, don't hold back on causing a fuss because you get further by doing so, its vital you have the paperwork to back up your claim though.

you have obviously not read what she said. she bought the phone online :smile:
I used to work for CPW and the best way to resolve something like this is to write to the Chairman's office - he normally writes his contact info inside the front cover of the instore mag. His office should be able to sort something like this out quite quickly.
Reply 4
warblade
you have obviously not read what she said. she bought the phone online :smile:

I know! I went to stop it from posting and it didn't work! argh :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 5
I don't like Carphone Warehouse either. Last year I tried their new Fresh pay as you go service because texts were 5p and calls 15p a minute, and the new phone was fine (I've still got it too) but the SIM card was terrible. Whenever I tried to call someone it just stopped working and the only way to reset it was to take out the battery. And it charged me for phoning someone who doesn't actually pick up the phone. And they didn't even have a free number you could call to check the credit balance, I had to phone an expensive number instead, which actually cost me credit to check how much I had. I gave up in the end, and switched back to T-Mobile, and that SIM card doesn't make my phone stop working.
My bro has a carphone warehouse contract and they have really ripped him off. His monthly bill hits nearly £60 when it should be £35. He doesnt go over his limit . Every month he has to go in to sort it out. At one point they charged him nearly £200 for internet charges when the internet settings were not even on the phone.
Reply 7
Take the registered office,to court.

I did this, and, won :smile:
Reply 8
The best thing to do with mobile phone companies, is persevere, and never back down. constantly send letters, don't bother ringing up you get a bunch of lies. Make records of when you've sent letters, best get proof of delivery, or send recorded delivery. If they do not refund you, or whatever it is you desire, then simply take them to court. In which case, they will likely pay you before it reaches court.
CPW is rubbish. My boyfriend works for them and he got a phone bill before he even received his new phone from them.

Latest

Trending

Trending