The Student Room Group

Did anyone else regret going to university?

I am about to graduate in two months and I cannot get over what an absolute complete and utter waste of time it has been. I feel more mentally ill than when I started the course in 2020.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I am about to graduate in two months and I cannot get over what an absolute complete and utter waste of time it has been. I feel more mentally ill than when I started the course in 2020.

What degree did you do? Do you not feel the qualification will help you in your chosen career?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What degree did you do? Do you not feel the qualification will help you in your chosen career?

Media and film related. I will be working in a warehouse for min wage post graduation as I haven't got anything lined up after I graduate. I might even get a 3rd lol.

Yeah I regret it I still remember that time in 2020 during COVID we were asked to go to campus with measurements put into place I was like to myself with a head-down focused mentality as well as concentrate giving it my all in level 5 (second-year) only worth 25% came out with 60% average (2:1) in level 6 (third-year) worth 75% and currently have a average of 56% just like 4% shy off a 2:1 and I am walking out with a 2:2 I feel extremely gutted, sad and low and lost and fearing will I be able to do my dream job in my dream field or is my degree even worth anything. I feel like a failure and flop and don’t even want to go to my own graduation :frown:
Media and film related. I will be working in a warehouse for min wage post graduation as I haven't got anything lined up after I graduate. I might even get a 3rd lol.

Oh, that's not ideal. Are you planning on giving-up on your hopes of a career in film and media, and just sticking with minimum wage / warehouse work? If so, then the degree will have been a waste of time. However, if you fight, tooth-and-nail, for every potential opportunity in that industry that in might turn out to have been worthwhile after all.

You say you "haven't got anything lined up after I graduate". Is that because you have't really put an awful lot of effort into trying to secure something, or is it because you've applied for dozens of different jobs and not managed to land any of them yet? If it's the former, then pull your finger our and try to get something sorted! If it's the latter, than apply for a dozen more, and a dozen more after that. You just need one employer to give you a chance. Once you've got your foot in the door, what you make of the opportunity is up to you.
Reply 5
Original post by Mohammed_80
Yeah I regret it I still remember that time in 2020 during COVID we were asked to go to campus with measurements put into place I was like to myself with a head-down focused mentality as well as concentrate giving it my all in level 5 (second-year) only worth 25% came out with 60% average (2:1) in level 6 (third-year) worth 75% and currently have a average of 56% just like 4% shy off a 2:1 and I am walking out with a 2:2 I feel extremely gutted, sad and low and lost and fearing will I be able to do my dream job in my dream field or is my degree even worth anything. I feel like a failure and flop and don’t even want to go to my own graduation :frown:

I feel sorry for you bro but posting multiple times on TSR probs didn't help yo grades 💀
Oh, that's not ideal. Are you planning on giving-up on your hopes of a career in film and media, and just sticking with minimum wage / warehouse work? If so, then the degree will have been a waste of time. However, if you fight, tooth-and-nail, for every potential opportunity in that industry that in might turn out to have been worthwhile after all.

You say you "haven't got anything lined up after I graduate". Is that because you have't really put an awful lot of effort into trying to secure something, or is it because you've applied for dozens of different jobs and not managed to land any of them yet? If it's the former, then pull your finger our and try to get something sorted! If it's the latter, than apply for a dozen more, and a dozen more after that. You just need one employer to give you a chance. Once you've got your foot in the door, what you make of the opportunity is up to you.

I might stay in the min wage job. I don't enjoy it but applying for jobs is worse. Guess it has been a waste of time lol
I might stay in the min wage job. I don't enjoy it but applying for jobs is worse. Guess it has been a waste of time lol

Unfortunately, applying for jobs is a necessarily evil. I'm not sure that anybody actively enjoys the process, but it's just something that needs to be done. If you'd rather stay in the minimum wage / warehouse role, then so be it. :frown:
Reply 7
Unfortunately, applying for jobs is a necessarily evil. I'm not sure that anybody actively enjoys the process, but it's just something that needs to be done. If you'd rather stay in the minimum wage / warehouse role, then so be it. :frown:

Thank you. Hoping to work my way up and go into management one day.
I know what you mean, I dont actively regret it as such as I felt it was the best option at the time but like yourself I had very poor mental health at uni and overall I do wonder if it was worthwhile.

Part of me wishes I had done an apprenticeship as you don't always need a degree for my field of work (design and manufacturing) however at the time of leaving school I wanted to get away from home and I wanted the guaranteed 3 year security that going to uni offered.
Reply 9
Original post by CoolCavy
I know what you mean, I dont actively regret it as such as I felt it was the best option at the time but like yourself I had very poor mental health at uni and overall I do wonder if it was worthwhile.

Part of me wishes I had done an apprenticeship as you don't always need a degree for my field of work (design and manufacturing) however at the time of leaving school I wanted to get away from home and I wanted the guaranteed 3 year security that going to uni offered.

I feel you bro. Gotta hope it was good for you I guess.

Hello,
Sorry to hear you don't feel good about your time spent at Uni but try to look at the bright side of things, at least you now have a degree and can do what you want plus remember your good moments and experiences while you were at Uni. Trust me, it isn't a waste of time as long as you learnt something from going to Uni but if has worsened your mental health, I can understand why you would think so. Focus on yourself when you graduate and improving your mental wellbeing. Congratulations on your graduation!

Benedicta
Digital Student Ambassador UoS
Remember, also, that a degree is often just the thing that opens some doors for you job wise. Doesn't mean you have to work in the same field as your degree either. Myfirst Uni adventure was Spots Science, before career changing to engineering as an apprentice later in life following a big spell as a home carer. I've since worked on stuff as varied as nuclear submarines, weapons and ships electrical systems before ending up in an aersopace job. Never imagines this outcome when first I left Uni 13 years back.

We have a few project managers at work who did their degrees in history, classics and such. When you graduate, take a little time to settle yourself and collect your thoughts, rather than diving straight into the next challenge or adventure. Things might end up seeming brighter than you fear.

Heck, here in the Civil Service we have all sorts of career paths for all sorts of people, and out there in the various industries won't be much different either. You may feel your 3 years a waste of time but it really isn't, it's a record of the challenges and adversities you have faced, overcome and moved beyond. You should be proud of your getting through to the end.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Remember, also, that a degree is often just the thing that opens some doors for you job wise. Doesn't mean you have to work in the same field as your degree either. Myfirst Uni adventure was Spots Science, before career changing to engineering as an apprentice later in life following a big spell as a home carer. I've since worked on stuff as varied as nuclear submarines, weapons and ships electrical systems before ending up in an aersopace job. Never imagines this outcome when first I left Uni 13 years back.

We have a few project managers at work who did their degrees in history, classics and such. When you graduate, take a little time to settle yourself and collect your thoughts, rather than diving straight into the next challenge or adventure. Things might end up seeming brighter than you fear.

Heck, here in the Civil Service we have all sorts of career paths for all sorts of people, and out there in the various industries won't be much different either. You may feel your 3 years a waste of time but it really isn't, it's a record of the challenges and adversities you have faced, overcome and moved beyond. You should be proud of your getting through to the end.

Fantastic post.
I’ve got a friend who i think does she moved home during lock downing the course was mostly on line she only had to go down like once or twice for exams. So she drove when she did that all the way to I think Nottingham from Reading and back again. She has finished the course now and seems much happier the when she was at uni. I mean she was still recognisably my friend but a little sad or on edge.

I’m sorry to hear that - if I may ask, what has made you feel more mentally ill than when you started?

My first bite of the university cherry wasn’t great (I’m a mature student doing an entirely unrelated Postgrad, after several years of working in my Undergrad subject). The first time around, I made friends with the wrong people, got into an abusive relationship, was targeted by a local person every time I went out, had barely any course mates, doubted myself horribly, and somehow still graduated. It was rough. Was it a waste of time, though? It depends what you'll take from it. What are the prospects like in your potential career field? Is it the career you want to go into? Don’t forget you can take an unrelated Masters and open up new opportunities.

I hope you get some good help for the mental health stuff it’s so important.
Reply 15
Original post by BinThereDunThat
I’m sorry to hear that - if I may ask, what has made you feel more mentally ill than when you started?

My first bite of the university cherry wasn’t great (I’m a mature student doing an entirely unrelated Postgrad, after several years of working in my Undergrad subject). The first time around, I made friends with the wrong people, got into an abusive relationship, was targeted by a local person every time I went out, had barely any course mates, doubted myself horribly, and somehow still graduated. It was rough. Was it a waste of time, though? It depends what you'll take from it. What are the prospects like in your potential career field? Is it the career you want to go into? Don’t forget you can take an unrelated Masters and open up new opportunities.

I hope you get some good help for the mental health stuff it’s so important.

Why would I ever take an unrelated masters if I have had an awful time at university?

Not to mention the additional £20k worth of debt that I will get myself into if I even do a masters.

Being at university has made me more mentally ill than when I started my degree. University has made my mental health worse, not better.
Reply 16
Why would I ever take an unrelated masters if I have had an awful time at university?

Not to mention the additional £20k worth of debt that I will get myself into if I even do a masters.

Being at university has made me more mentally ill than when I started my degree. University has made my mental health worse, not better.

then when its started i think you should hv dropped out and done something else
JF ZAK
Reply 17
Original post by JF ZAK
then when its started i think you should hv dropped out and done something else
JF ZAK

I should have done this but graduation is in like a month so I’ve basically got a degree now.
Reply 18
I should have done this but graduation is in like a month so I’ve basically got a degree now.

then it might work out for you
good luck
JF ZAK

Hey!

I’m sorry to hear you’re having a hard time and feel that you’ve wasted your time. I’m a second year student at ARU and I totally understand that studying can be completely overwhelming.

ARU had a mental health and wellbeing team to support students. Does your university have a similar system in place that you could contact for some support?

Maybe once you graduate, take some time to yourself. Enjoy some freedom and spend some time doing some of the things you enjoy most.

Even if you decide that your career path you chose back in 2020 wasn’t for you, it still won’t be a waste of time. I’m sure you’ve gained lots of knowledge and experience during your studies.

I hope things get better for you!

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending