Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "hi i like to post integrals way above the level of the C4 spec to let everyone know i have a massive dong"
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Mod hat on)

This is Philip-flop's thread for help with C4 integration so please keep the thread relevant to him and any other C4 students visiting this thread. If you want to discuss harder / higher level integrals then there are threads in the index that are crying out for people to post in them!

Any more off topic posts will be removed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by notnek)
    I think I used to but I don't anymore sorry. You can always use Wolfram Alpha to check your answers or you could ask here.
    Philip-flop

Spoiler:
    Show

\displaystyle \int x(3x+2)^2 .dx = \frac{1}{36}(3x+2)^4-\frac{2}{27}(3x+2)^3 +c

\displaystyle \int 3x^{-1} .dx = 3\ln \vert x \vert +c

\displaystyle \int \cos(2x-3).dx = \frac{1}{2}\sin(2x-3) +c

\displaystyle \int e^{3x-7}.dx = \frac{1}{3}e^{3x-7} +c

\displaystyle \int -2\csc(3x)\cot(3x) .dx = \frac{2}{3}\csc(3x) +c

\displaystyle \int 2x(x^2-3)^4 .dx = \frac{1}{5}(x^2-3)^5 + c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3x-6}{x^2} .dx = 3\ln \vert x \vert + \frac{6}{x} +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{8x^3}{x^4-3} .dx =  2\ln  \vert x^4 -3 \vert + c

\displaystyle \int \cos(3x-2)\sin^2(3x-2) .dx = \frac{1}{9}\sin^3(3x-2) +c

\displaystyle \int 8xe^{x^2}.dx = 4e^{x^2} +c

\displaystyle \int sec^3(x)\tan(x) .dx = \frac{1}{3}sec^3(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \cos(x^2) .dx = eh... something too complicated for A-Level..

\displaystyle \int  3\sin^2(2x) .dx = \frac{3}{2}x-\frac{3}{8}\sin(4x) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3x+5}{3x^2+10x} .dx = \frac{1}{2}\ln \vert 3x^2+10x \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 3\tan(5x) .dx = \frac{3}{5}\ln \vert \sec(5x) \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 5+tan^2(x) .dx = 4x+tan(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{10}{9x^2-16} .dx = \frac{5}{12}\ln \left\vert \frac{3x-4}{3x+4} \right\vert +c

\displaystyle \int x(x-2)^{10} .dx = \frac{1}{12}(x-2)^{12}+\frac{2}{11}(x-2)^{11}+c

\displaystyle \int x\cos(x) .dx = x\sin(x)+\cos(x)+c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3}{(x+1)(x-2)} .dx = \ln \left\vert \frac{x-2}{x+1} \right\vert +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{2}{(3x-2)^2} .dx = \frac{2}{6-9x} +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2+4}}{x}.dx = eh... nothing that you have to worry about appearing in C4..

\displaystyle \int x^2e^x .dx = e^x(x^2-2x+2) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{5}{\cos(x)}.dx = 5\ln \vert \sec(x) + \tan(x) \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 5\ln(3x) .dx = 5x\ln (3x)-5x +c

\displaystyle \int \sqrt{3x-8}.dx = \frac{2}{9}(3x-8)^{3/2}+c

\displaystyle \int x^2\ln(x) .dx = \frac{x^3}{3}\ln(x)-\frac{x^3}{9} +c

\displaystyle \int sin^3(x).dx = -\cos(x) +\frac{1}{3}cos^3(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \sec(x)\tan(x)e^{\sec(x)}.dx = e^{\sec(x)} +c

\displaystyle \int 3\sin(8x)\cos(8x).dx = \frac{3}{16}\sin^2(8x) +c_1 = -\frac{3}{16}\cos^2(8x)+c_2

\displaystyle \int \frac{2x^2-3}{x^2-1}.dx = \frac{5}{2}\ln \vert x+1 \vert - \frac{1}{2}\ln \vert x-1 \vert +c

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Philip-flop

Spoiler:
    Show

\displaystyle \int x(3x+2)^2 .dx = \frac{1}{36}(3x+2)^4-\frac{2}{27}(3x+2)^3 +c

\displaystyle \int 3x^{-1} .dx = 3\ln \vert x \vert +c

\displaystyle \int \cos(2x-3).dx = \frac{1}{2}sin(2x-3) +c

\displaystyle \int e^{3x-7}.dx = \frac{1}{3}e^{3x-7} +c

\displaystyle \int -2\csc(3x)\cot(3x) .dx = \frac{2}{3}\csc(3x) +c

\displaystyle \int 2x(x^2-3)^4 .dx = \frac{1}{5}(x^2-3)^5 + c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3x-6}{x^2} .dx = 3\ln \vert x \vert + \frac{6}{x} +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{8x^3}{x^4-3} .dx =  2\ln  \vert x^4 -3 \vert + c

\displaystyle \int \cos(3x-2)\sin^2(3x-2) .dx = \frac{1}{9}\sin^3(3x-2) +c

\displaystyle \int 8xe^{x^2}.dx = 4e^{x^2} +c

\displaystyle \int sec^3(x)\tan(x) .dx = \frac{1}{3}sec^3(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \cos(x^2) .dx = eh... something too complicated for A-Level..

\displaystyle \int  3\sin^2(2x) .dx = \frac{3}{2}x-\frac{3}{8}\sin(4x) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3x+5}{3x^2+10x} .dx = \frac{1}{2}\ln \vert 3x^2+10x \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 3\tan(5x) .dx = \frac{3}{5}\ln \vert \sec(5x) \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 5+tan^2(x) .dx = 4x+tan(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{10}{9x^2-16} .dx = \frac{5}{12}\ln \left\vert \frac{3x-4}{3x+4} \right\vert +c

\displaystyle \int x(x-2)^{10} .dx = \frac{1}{12}(x-2)^{12}+\frac{2}{11}(x-2)^{11}+c

\displaystyle \int x\cos(x) .dx = x\sin(x)+\cos(x)+c

\displaystyle \int \frac{3}{(x+1)(x-2)} .dx = \ln \left\vert \frac{x-2}{x+1} \right\vert +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{2}{(3x-2)^2} .dx = \frac{2}{6-9x} +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt{x^2+4}}{x}.dx = eh... nothing that you have to worry about appearing in C4..

\displaystyle \int x^2e^x .dx = e^x(x^2-2x+2) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{5}{\cos(x)}.dx = 5\ln \vert \sec(x) + \tan(x) \vert +c

\displaystyle \int 5\ln(3x) .dx = 5x\ln (3x)-5x +c

\displaystyle \int \sqrt{3x-8}.dx = \frac{2}{9}(3x-8)^{3/2}+c

\displaystyle \int x^2\ln(x) .dx = \frac{x^3}{3}\ln(x)-\frac{x^3}{9} +c

\displaystyle \int sin^3(x).dx = -\cos(x) +\frac{1}{3}cos^3(x) +c

\displaystyle \int \sec(x)\tan(x)e^{\sec(x)}.dx = e^{\sec(x)} +c

\displaystyle \int 3\sin(8x)\cos(8x).dx = \frac{3}{16}\sin^2(8x) +c

\displaystyle \int \frac{2x^2-3}{x^2-1}.dx = \frac{5}{2}\ln \vert x+1 \vert - \frac{1}{2}\ln \vert x-1 \vert +c

Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes one of them can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions - when I use this list I check that the student doesn't try and use reverse chain rule for this. The other one you singled out isn't C4 so I'm not sure what it's doing there

Philip-flop I forgot to say that this is a list of integrals where the method isn't given to you. Since for substitution questions the substitutions will always be given to you in C4, there are no substitution integrals in this list (well none that require substitution).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes one of them can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions - when I use this list I check that the student doesn't try and use reverse chain rule for this. The other one you singled out isn't C4 so I'm not sure what it's doing there

Philip-flop I forgot to say that this is a list of integrals where the method isn't given to you. Since for substitution questions the substitutions will always be given to you in C4, there are no substitution integrals in this list (well none that require substitution).
    Maybe that \cos(x^2) integral was supposed to be \cos(\sqrt{x})?? In which case solving it would require a nice mix of two different methods.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler:
    Show

That awkward moment when your answer to the first integral was worked out by using Substitution I'm having a lot of trouble recognising what type of integration to use
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    That awkward moment when your answer to the first integral was worked out by using Substitution I'm having a lot of trouble recognising what type of integration to use
    The first one can be done simply by expanding the brackets. Always look for the simplest method first
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Maybe that \cos(x^2) integral was supposed to be \cos(\sqrt{x})?? In which case solving it would require a nice mix of two different methods.
    No it was meant to be \cos(x^2) to make sure that students don't try to use some kind of reverse chain rule.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No it was meant to be \cos(x^2) to make sure that students don't try to use some kind of reverse chain rule.
    Oh fair enough. Also the same integral pops up twice in there, \int \frac{3}{(x+1)(x-2)}.dx

ReputationRep:
    The first one can be done simply by expanding the brackets. Always look for the simplest method first
    Oh I see! I never would have known to do that!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Oh I see! I never would have known to do that!
    There are a few in there that are C1 integrals but they're mixed in with C4 integrals, which is why students often forget the easy methods.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few in there that are C1 integrals but they're mixed in with C4 integrals, which is why students often forget the easy methods.
    Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of using it on...

\int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

ReputationRep:
    Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

\int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

This one is much easier than you think. No int by parts needed.
    How does the 2x relate to the thing inside the brackets?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

\int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

You can certainly use substitution, but you can use inspection for that one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah it's in the format  \int f'(x) [f(x)]^n dx

But these ones I'm still not use to doing

EDIT: I managed to get it but only by looking at the general formula for these types. I would have had to resort to Substitution if I was given this in a real exam!
    (Original post by carpetguy)
    This one is much easier than you think. No int by parts needed.
    How does the 2x relate to the thing inside the brackets?
    You can certainly use substitution, but you can use inspection for that one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    EDIT: I managed to get it but only by looking at the general formula for these types. I would have had to resort to Substitution if I was given this in a real exam!
    That's fine, as long as you solve it and don't take up too much time...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah it's in the format  \int f'(x) [f(x)]^n dx

But these ones I'm still not use to doing
    When looking at an integral that one there should be the first or second thing you look for. Once you get more familiar with all the methods the easiest way to do integration is looking and seeing if you can do the easiest stuff first. Start with "can I just expand it or something", then this thing:

and so on. You can usually attempt a substitution for most if all else fails, but if you're like me and are a bit :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: at the whole C4 shabang it's generally an awful idea unless the question specifically gives you a substitution to use.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, as long as you solve it and don't take up too much time...
    Yeah, Integration by Substitution will hopefully be a last resort when doing the exam! I've just got to try and think strategically I guess.

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    When looking at an integral that one there should be the first or second thing you look for. Once you get more familiar with all the methods the easiest way to do integration is looking and seeing if you can do the easiest stuff first. Start with "can I just expand it or something", then this thing:

and so on. You can usually attempt a substitution for most if all else fails, but if you're like me and are a bit :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: at the whole C4 shabang it's generally an awful idea unless the question specifically gives you a substitution to use.
    Useful advice. I will definitely try to tackle integrals in a more systematic way by thinking of the easiest routes first and leave Substitution as a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how I'm meant to start this?...
     \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can someone explain how I'm meant to start this?...
     \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx
    Substitute u=\sin(3x-2)

Or recognise that it's almost in the form f'(x)[f(x)]^n

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2017

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.