The Student Room Group

Maths C4 - Integration... Help???

Scroll to see replies

"hi i like to post integrals way above the level of the C4 spec to let everyone know i have a massive dong"
(Mod hat on)

This is @Philip-flop's thread for help with C4 integration so please keep the thread relevant to him and any other C4 students visiting this thread. If you want to discuss harder / higher level integrals then there are threads in the index that are crying out for people to post in them!

Any more off topic posts will be removed.
Original post by notnek
I think I used to but I don't anymore sorry. You can always use Wolfram Alpha to check your answers or you could ask here.

@Philip-flop

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
@Philip-flop

Spoiler

Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler

@Philip-flop I forgot to say that this is a list of integrals where the method isn't given to you. Since for substitution questions the substitutions will always be given to you in C4, there are no substitution integrals in this list (well none that require substitution).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler

@Philip-flop I forgot to say that this is a list of integrals where the method isn't given to you. Since for substitution questions the substitutions will always be given to you in C4, there are no substitution integrals in this list (well none that require substitution).

Maybe that cos(x2)\cos(x^2) integral was supposed to be cos(x)\cos(\sqrt{x})?? In which case solving it would require a nice mix of two different methods.
Original post by notnek
Thanks so much for that.

Spoiler

That awkward moment when your answer to the first integral was worked out by using Substitution :colondollar: I'm having a lot of trouble recognising what type of integration to use :frown:
Original post by Philip-flop
That awkward moment when your answer to the first integral was worked out by using Substitution :colondollar: I'm having a lot of trouble recognising what type of integration to use :frown:

The first one can be done simply by expanding the brackets. Always look for the simplest method first :smile:
Maybe that cos(x2)\cos(x^2) integral was supposed to be cos(x)\cos(\sqrt{x})?? In which case solving it would require a nice mix of two different methods.

No it was meant to be cos(x2)\cos(x^2) to make sure that students don't try to use some kind of reverse chain rule.
Original post by notnek
No it was meant to be cos(x2)\cos(x^2) to make sure that students don't try to use some kind of reverse chain rule.

Oh fair enough. Also the same integral pops up twice in there, 3(x+1)(x2).dx\int \frac{3}{(x+1)(x-2)}.dx
Original post by notnek
The first one can be done simply by expanding the brackets. Always look for the simplest method first :smile:

Oh I see! I never would have known to do that! :frown:
Oh I see! I never would have known to do that! :frown:

There are a few in there that are C1 integrals but they're mixed in with C4 integrals, which is why students often forget the easy methods.
Original post by notnek
There are a few in there that are C1 integrals but they're mixed in with C4 integrals, which is why students often forget the easy methods.

Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of using it on...

2x(x23)4dx \int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

:frown:
Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

This one is much easier than you think. No int by parts needed.
How does the 2x relate to the thing inside the brackets?

You can certainly use substitution, but you can use inspection for that one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh yeah it's in the format f(x)[f(x)]ndx \int f'(x) [f(x)]^n dx

But these ones I'm still not use to doing :frown:

EDIT: I managed to get it but only by looking at the general formula for these types. I would have had to resort to Substitution if I was given this in a real exam!
Original post by carpetguy
This one is much easier than you think. No int by parts needed.
How does the 2x relate to the thing inside the brackets?

You can certainly use substitution, but you can use inspection for that one.
(edited 7 years ago)

EDIT: I managed to get it but only by looking at the general formula for these types. I would have had to resort to Substitution if I was given this in a real exam!

That's fine, as long as you solve it and don't take up too much time...
Oh yeah it's in the format f(x)[f(x)]ndx \int f'(x) [f(x)]^n dx

But these ones I'm still not use to doing :frown:

When looking at an integral that one there should be the first or second thing you look for. Once you get more familiar with all the methods the easiest way to do integration is looking and seeing if you can do the easiest stuff first. Start with "can I just expand it or something", then this thing:

and so on. You can usually attempt a substitution for most if all else fails, but if you're like me and are a bit :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: at the whole C4 shabang it's generally an awful idea unless the question specifically gives you a substitution to use.
That's fine, as long as you solve it and don't take up too much time...

Yeah, Integration by Substitution will hopefully be a last resort when doing the exam! I've just got to try and think strategically I guess.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
When looking at an integral that one there should be the first or second thing you look for. Once you get more familiar with all the methods the easiest way to do integration is looking and seeing if you can do the easiest stuff first. Start with "can I just expand it or something", then this thing:

and so on. You can usually attempt a substitution for most if all else fails, but if you're like me and are a bit :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: at the whole C4 shabang it's generally an awful idea unless the question specifically gives you a substitution to use.

Useful advice. I will definitely try to tackle integrals in a more systematic way by thinking of the easiest routes first and leave Substitution as a last resort. :smile:
Can someone explain how I'm meant to start this?...
cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx
Can someone explain how I'm meant to start this?...
cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

Substitute u=sin(3x2)u=\sin(3x-2)

Or recognise that it's almost in the form f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n

Quick Reply

Latest