The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
uh oh this is gonna start a flame war
no.

ps rep me if u agree or and rep me if u disagree
(edited 7 years ago)
Law isn't a useless degree, it's just that there are more graduates than there is for the demand for those who wish to pursue it as a career. It's like this for most careers, especially in the humanities etc as STEM has a higher employability rate.
Original post by LisaNikita
Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?

(1) Even if true, why does this render law a useless degree? There is competition for all jobs.
(2) This assumes all Law grads practice law - which is not the case.
(3) Studying Law brings many benefits outside of preparation for your future career.
Reply 5
More supply, less demand. Law is useless. Simple
Reply 6
Original post by Palmyra
(1) Even if true, why does this render law a useless degree? There is competition for all jobs.
(2) This assumes all Law grads practice law - which is not the case.
(3) Studying Law brings many benefits outside of preparation for your future career.

To spend 30,000 on a degree to learn debating skills? Are you trolling?

LOL

Are you trolling?
Law has a high "gradient" of usefulness for careers. I mean that law from a top uni is very well respected, you have a chance of getting training contacts at prestigious high paying firms etc. From a lesser university, your degree is less useful as you are more likely to be out-competed for these jobs and end up with a lesser law job or in another field.

There is of course a gradient like this with all degrees except medicine but it's acute for law because of the bottleneck of training contracts. Computer science is another I think it applies to as well.
Reply 9

Clearly you have no idea of what a law course entails if you think it's just debating. Are you the one trolling you delusional bat?

Original post by Angry Bird
no

ps rep me if u agree or and rep me if u disagree

well i mean looks like i gotta rep
Reply 10
It was sarcasm @Inexorably

The honing of your mental faculties one achieves from an in-depth study of the law (and all this entails) is not to be dismissed.
Reply 12
Original post by Inexorably
Clearly you have no idea of what a law course entails if you think it's just debating. Are you the one trolling you delusional bat?

well i mean looks like i gotta rep

I believe you are triggered.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Palmyra
The honing of your mental faculties one achieves from an in-depth study of the law (and all this entails) is not to be dismissed.

Lol get off me
Reply 14
The degree obviously is useless. You can't even justify a point with valid reasons you have to add in a few "racist, sexist, delusional" ********.

This statement is very true, but that does not mean that the degree itself is useless. Law is traditionally seen as a very lucrative field to enter, now couple this with the fact it's very cheap to run law degrees compared with chemistry degrees due to the low reliance on resources, there are a lot of bad law graduates. Law at a top university is by far one of the best degrees in terms of earning potential, but if it's from a low ranking university, you will seriously struggle to gain a high quality training contract and with the obsolescence of paralegals it will be hard to build up a relevant working history.

Original post by chazwomaq
Law has a high "gradient" of usefulness for careers. I mean that law from a top uni is very well respected, you have a chance of getting training contacts at prestigious high paying firms etc. From a lesser university, your degree is less useful as you are more likely to be out-competed for these jobs and end up with a lesser law job or in another field.

There is of course a gradient like this with all degrees except medicine but it's acute for law because of the bottleneck of training contracts. Computer science is another I think it applies to as well.

+1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by l'etranger
This statement is very true, but that does not mean that the degree itself is useless. Law is traditionally seen as a very lucrative field to enter, now couple this with the fact it's very cheap to run law degrees compared with chemistry degrees due to the low reliance on resources, there are a lot of bad law graduates. Law at a top university is by far one of the best degrees in terms of earning potential, but if it's from a low ranking university, you will seriously struggle to gain a high quality training contract and with the obsolescence of paralegals it will be hard to build up a relevant working history.

+1

Just like any other degree XD
The degree obviously is useless. You can't even justify a point with valid reasons you have to add in a few "racist, sexist, delusional" ********.

No you're useless

The degree is only as useless as you make it smh. You take opportunities to amp up your CV and try to get the best classification you can, and it makes for an impressive portfolio for employers as long as the university isn't utterly terrible
Reply 18
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
No you're useless

The degree is only as useless as you make it smh. You take opportunities to amp up your CV and try to get the best classification you can, and it makes for an impressive portfolio for employers as long as the university isn't utterly terrible

How does a less than 150 character post make me useless
Reply 19
Lmao not sure why but this thread made me think that you applied to read Law and did not get accepted, and so you are trying to make yourself feel better by having people tell you it is going to be a useless degree anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending