The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What is University of Liverpool like?

I had a talk/lecture today about the University of Liverpool and i found it very interesting and i actually really like it. I've been to a few talks including Keele, Manchester and Kings college london but i think i liked the kings college and liverpool ones the most so far.

So, i guess my question/purpose of the thread is how is uni of liverpool like (if you go there). How are the facilities? Social life? the city? The teacher?

Im looking to study computer science or business management or both (as some unis offer them as a major and minor.) however, i dont think liverpool does both together, i checked around the website and didnt find anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minionzzz
I had a talk/lecture today about the University of Liverpool and i found it very interesting and i actually really like it. I've been to a few talks including Keele, Manchester and Kings college london but i think i liked the kings college and liverpool ones the most so far.

So, i guess my question/purpose of the thread is how is uni of liverpool like (if you go there). How are the facilities? Social life? the city? The teacher?

Im looking to study computer science or business management or both (as some unis offer them as a major and minor.) however, i dont think liverpool does both together, i checked around the website and didnt find anything.

Those are two very different courses. The UK doesn't really have a major/minor system, but you can sometimes pick a degree that has components of two degrees. Or you could do a dual honours.

Liverpool is a vibrant city; there are a wide variety of restaurants, bars, clubs and things to do. The architecture is stunning and, once you get past the accent; the people are warm and welcoming.

Have a look at the university guide for the unis you're interested in on TSR.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-z-of-universities.php
(edited 7 years ago)
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
@hezzlington I WAS JUST TAGGING YOU. omg
Original post by EC
@hezzlington I WAS JUST TAGGING YOU. omg

:excited:

Probably the weakest Russell group, but still good.
Reply 5
Original post by hezzlington
Those are two very different courses. The UK doesn't really have a major/minor system, but you can sometimes pick a degree that has components of two degrees. Or you could do a dual honours.

Liverpool is a vibrant city; there are a wide variety of restaurants, bars, clubs and things to do. The architecture is stunning and, once you get past the accent; the people are warm and welcoming.

Have a look at the university guide for the unis you're interested in on TSR.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-z-of-universities.php

I know what youre saying, and yh thats probably why i'm having trouble finding a course for myself. But the idea for me is that i've always wanted to go into business but i also have a passion for computing and i want to pursue it, and if all else fails i have business as a ''back up''

Sorry, i meant like the 75:25 degree courses, it's called major/minor on some of the universities, sorry my bad.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Being a Russell Group uni has nothing to do with anything. It has no relevance to undergraduates.

But yeah, either Liverpool or Queen Mary.
Reply 7

Really? i check on the QS rating and it's one of the few with the 5 * rating and i was told it's one of the oldest Russel group uni or red brick uni (i cant remember which one exactly)
Reply 8
Being a Russell Group uni has nothing to do with anything. It has no relevance to undergraduates.

What uni do you go to?
Really? i check on the QS rating and it's one of the few with the 5 * rating and i was told it's one of the oldest Russel group uni or red brick uni (i cant remember which one exactly)

It really doesn't matter.

I go to Liverpool uni.
Reply 10
It really doesn't matter.

I go to Liverpool uni.

Ok, i dont actually know if it matter or not, i'm just trying to do my research and find a uni best suited for me.

Do you know anything about the Honours select? I have read a bit about it, (btw its where you mix and match your own courses). I dont think i could do business and computing together tho as computing is one of those that are more technical and need the whole attention. But any suggestions on any other courses? i saw a uni (forgot whihc one now), that offers computing and business together but the name was totally different but still offered it.

It was a point of comparison - not a statement of my opinion on the prestige of the RG.

But it does have some relevance to undergrads, since these are the most research intensive unis, they'd typically have more/better quality "research abroad programmes". There's also the prospect of being mugged off by your friends for not attending the "best unis".

Really? Usually Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial occupy the top spots for U.K. universities - you typically have to scroll a bit to find some other British unis
It was a point of comparison - not a statement of my opinion on the prestige of the RG.

But it does have some relevance to undergrads, since these are the most research intensive unis, they'd typically have more/better quality "research abroad programmes". There's also the prospect of being mugged off by your friends for not attending the "best unis".

Can you provide any evidence for RG universities providing better quality 'research abroad programmes'.

Your university doesn't sit your job interview for you.
Can you provide any evidence for RG universities providing better quality 'research abroad programmes'.

Your university doesn't sit your job interview for you.

The evidence is in the much higher research funding. How many lower tier-mid tier universities do you see with esteemed research links in their courses?

It may not sit it for you, but it does get it for you in the first place. Ever heard of IB and target universities?
The evidence is in the much higher research funding. How many lower tier-mid tier universities do you see with esteemed research links in their courses?

It may not sit it for you, but it does get it for you in the first place. Ever heard of IB and target universities?

Yes. Key word: target.

Please define 'esteemed research link' .... ? Are you at university...?
Yes. Key word: target.

Please define 'esteemed research link' .... ? Are you at university...?

An association with a high calibre university like Cambridge have with MIT, or UCL have with Caltech, that allows students to study/research at these unis. Or, be able to directly send students to high-level facility like the Crick Institue - like Imperial, King's and UCL can? You know, since they contribute their RESEARCH FUNDING to it.

Why have you focused on "target", you've merely just proved my point in how important it is in getting you interview - all these target unis are all RGs too.
An association with a high calibre university like Cambridge have with MIT, or UCL have with Caltech, that allows students to study/research at these unis. Or, be able to directly send students to high-level facility like the Crick Institue - like Imperial, King's and UCL can? You know, since they contribute their RESEARCH FUNDING to it.

Why have you focused on "target", you've merely just proved my point in how important it is in getting you interview - all these target unis are all RGs too.

Okay, how many students do you think go to other universities to study as part of a 3 year undergraduate course? Those that opt for a year abroad as part of a 4 year course, how much of a boost to their CV do you really think it is? Wouldn't it just be better to apply to MIT/Caltech directly?

Outside of IB or Law, what relevance does 'RG prestige' have?

Are you going through the process of applying for jobs in IB? Are you undertaking research at university? How much 'research' do you think you'll be doing at university?
Okay, how many students do you think go to other universities to study as part of a 3 year undergraduate course? Those that opt for a year abroad as part of a 4 year course, how much of a boost to their CV do you really think it is? Wouldn't it just be better to apply to MIT/Caltech directly?

Outside of IB or Law, what relevance does 'RG prestige' have?

Are you going through the process of applying for jobs in IB? Are you undertaking research at university? How much 'research' do you think you'll be doing at university?

No it wouldn't necessarily be better to apply to Caltech/MIT directly because it would be more expensive and a lot more competitive, since British applicants will be under an international quota and be forced to pay international fees.

You said earlier that RGs have no relevance to undergrads, but now admit that they bare advantage in IB and Law - they literally help in almost any field - even private medical practications tend to consist of top university graduates. It's name tag is synonymous with success within the general population. A lot of typical sixth formers say " I wanna just get into a Russell group", and they a) get this from parents or b) spread the name tag to their parents - it spreads quite quickly. RG may just mean being research intensive, but it is essentially a (less exclusive) Ivy League. After all, there's really only St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough and Lancaster which are great unis that aren't in the RG.

To answer your three questions, 1. No 2. No 3. Probably quite a bit.

(Y13 medical applicant).
No it wouldn't necessarily be better to apply to Caltech/MIT directly because it would be more expensive and a lot more competitive, since British applicants will be under an international quota and be forced to pay international fees.

Scholarships - they exist.

You said earlier that RGs have no relevance to undergrads, but now admit that they bare advantage in IB and Law - they literally help in almost any field - even private medical practications tend to consist of top university graduates.

I never said they give you an advantage, I just said IB and Law because you mentioned target universities. Would somebody that attends Queen Mary have an advantage over somebody that attends Bath, purely because of the RG label? And it is just that, a label.

It's name tag is synonymous with success within the general population. A lot of typical sixth formers say " I wanna just get into a Russell group", and they a) get this from parents or b) spread the name tag to their parents - it spreads quite quickly.

Sixth formers say a lot of questionable things. The public are generally quite misinformed.

RG may just mean being research intensive, but it is essentially a (less exclusive) Ivy League. After all, there's really only St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough and Lancaster which are great unis that aren't in the RG.

There is nothing exclusive about attending a RG university on the basis that it's a RG member. When you get to university, you won't even hear the words 'Russel Group', I promise you'll forget all about it.

To answer your three questions, 1. No 2. No 3. Probably quite a bit.

(Y13 medical applicant).

You didn't read my questions properly. (I see you've now changed your answers though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending