The Student Room Group

University of LIverpool vs University of Birmingham

What is better to study Civil Engineering UoL or UoB?
Hi, I’ve actually got an offer to study law at the university of Liverpool, so I know a fair bit about the university, and a few of my friends are going to Birmingham so I know a bit about that place as well. I don’t really know much about your course however I would say that both cities have strong engineering sectors, thought I would say that Liverpool is renowned for its architecture and building sector whereas Birmingham is more renowned for its manufacturing sector, thought that’s just what I’ve been told from family members in the engineering field.

In regards to the universities themselves I would say that they are both great universities with good reputations and both are of course Russel Groups, so you definitely can be confident with a degree from either. However in my opinion Liverpool as a university and as a city is far better than Birmingham for students. Liverpool is a very attractive city with a huge amount of architecture and historical sites which are great to explore, the city is also known for its friendliness and is easy to navigate, theirs also a lot of ongoing engineering projects in the city such as Liverpool waters, the new China Town development and Evertons new stadium that are really interesting. The campus itself is located in the centre of town and is one of the oldest in the country with great access to the array of surrounding shops and restaurants such as Liverpool one and the Albert dock complex. Liverpool is also located right on the coast which give it the added bonus of having really good air quality and views and access to beaches and the sea just outside the city itself.

Birmingham as I’ve said is a great university and I did strongly consider applying to it, however I feel that Liverpool just has the edge over it. A degree form either university would be great however if I was in your position I would choose Liverpool, hope I could help. Are you currently in year 12 or 13 if you don’t mind me asking?
Which university did you end up choosing?
Original post by username6003756
What is better to study Civil Engineering UoL or UoB?

Hi there,

So there is a huge amount of factors to consider when picking a University, there is aspects of the course (e.g. content), then the University itself in terms of facilities etc., then also the city and its location to consider too! Is there something in particular you would like to know more about UoL?

MAlachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest