The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool vs Manchester Metropolitan University...?

I live in Manchester and really love my city and don't want to move away from home, but I unfortunately did not receive an offer from the University of Manchester. I'm applying for law and deciding between Manchester Metropolitan University (non-Russell Group) and the University of Liverpool (Russell Group) and the only problem is that Liverpool is 1hr and 40mins away from me, whereas MMU is only 30mins. As an aspiring solicitor, I know going to a Russell Group is more beneficial for my career prospects but I'm worried that the travel is unrealistic. I have responsibilities at home which means moving out isn't really on the table. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Ultimately, whether a university is RG or not isn't the most important thing.

Have you had a look at the course modules in both unis to see which you prefer?

It sounds as though it would be far more convenient to stay local. As long as you're happy with the course at Mancs Met, there's no reason to go all the way to Liverpool just for the sake of it being RG.
Liverpool is a better Uni for Law (this is one subject where 'which Uni' does actually matter).

MMU is massive and you will feel like you are in a factory.
Original post by kayahlea
I live in Manchester and really love my city and don't want to move away from home, but I unfortunately did not receive an offer from the University of Manchester. I'm applying for law and deciding between Manchester Metropolitan University (non-Russell Group) and the University of Liverpool (Russell Group) and the only problem is that Liverpool is 1hr and 40mins away from me, whereas MMU is only 30mins. As an aspiring solicitor, I know going to a Russell Group is more beneficial for my career prospects but I'm worried that the travel is unrealistic. I have responsibilities at home which means moving out isn't really on the table. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Hi, I'm in the exact same situation, I was really set on Manchester but didn't get in, I think I might firm Liverpool but not sure yet, I'm not living there so will be a long commute, but they said I would only have to be in 3 days a week so not to bad, yeah so probably doing the same
Reply 4
Original post by User0123564
Hi, I'm in the exact same situation, I was really set on Manchester but didn't get in, I think I might firm Liverpool but not sure yet, I'm not living there so will be a long commute, but they said I would only have to be in 3 days a week so not to bad, yeah so probably doing the same

Yeah I've firmed Liverpool and put MMU as my insurance, seems like everyone I know didn't get into Manchester :frown: 3 days a week isn't bad, would it be the same for all students do you know? It'd also be helpful if there was a sample timetable so we could get an idea of what our typical week might look like.
Original post by kayahlea
Yeah I've firmed Liverpool and put MMU as my insurance, seems like everyone I know didn't get into Manchester :frown: 3 days a week isn't bad, would it be the same for all students do you know? It'd also be helpful if there was a sample timetable so we could get an idea of what our typical week might look like.

Yeah I'm doing the same, probably drive up from manchester to Liverpool, I have a timetable for law because I went to the applicant's day and they had one there, for everyone they said you would have 1 day off and you can change lessons around if there's a spare lecture that day, but can't if not
Can someone possibly send me the law timetable for Liverpool? Also dyu reckon if I were to get A*AB rather than the required AAA, Liverpool would take me?? Anyone been through this??
Also Im stuck deciding between English at Manchester (and then do a conversion course) or law at liverpool!! helppp

stuck
Original post by panda324
Can someone possibly send me the law timetable for Liverpool? Also dyu reckon if I were to get A*AB rather than the required AAA, Liverpool would take me?? Anyone been through this??

You need to start a new thread in the Liverpool or Law forums.

Law: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Liverpool Uni: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=234
(edited 1 year ago)
thankss im new to this😭
Original post by panda324
thankss im new to this😭

That's okay - you're more likely to get a reply from the forums I have posted links for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending