The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Transferring Courses

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm wondering if someone could help me out.

I originally applied to Durham for English, but got rejected. However, through their referral scheme, I was able to secure a fairly favourable (AAB) offer for Anthropology. However, I don't really want to study Anthropology. Depending on the college I get assigned, I'm quite tempted to accept the offer and just try and transfer to English when I arrive - or perhaps even sooner, once I've got my results. Yet this feels like a bit of a gamble, which I'm not really accustomed to, and I'm not sure how good my chances would be of transferring to such a popular course - especially as I initially got rejected for it.

Can anybody shed some light on how likely my plan is to work out? Thanks guys.
Any idea why you got rejected? If you didn't meet the entry requirements how likely are you to get the grades? If you don't meet the requirements it's unlikely that you'll be able to transfer and they may be full up. Don't go if you don't want to do the course. You can take a gap year and apply again next year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by imcanderson
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm wondering if someone could help me out.

I originally applied to Durham for English, but got rejected. However, through their referral scheme, I was able to secure a fairly favourable (AAB) offer for Anthropology. However, I don't really want to study Anthropology. Depending on the college I get assigned, I'm quite tempted to accept the offer and just try and transfer to English when I arrive - or perhaps even sooner, once I've got my results. Yet this feels like a bit of a gamble, which I'm not really accustomed to, and I'm not sure how good my chances would be of transferring to such a popular course - especially as I initially got rejected for it.

Can anybody shed some light on how likely my plan is to work out? Thanks guys.

I wouldn't recommend this

You would be swapping from one faculty to another (so this isn't just a case of changing a few modules).

Looking at https://www.dur.ac.uk/learningandteaching.handbook/2/1/2/it seems like this is something that would only really be allowed after you'd completed the first year and would involve you swapping and restarting on the new course.

I'd recommend you ring up Durham and explain that you would be keen to swap to English and ask if and when that might be possible (and what circumstances would need to be met)....their response will make it clear if they'd be open to this or whether you'd be essentially signing up for a course you don't want to study with close to no chance of swapping.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Any idea why you got rejected? If you didn't meet the entry requirements how likely are you to get the grades? If you don't meet the requirements it's unlikely that you'll be able to transfer and they may be full up. Don't go if you don't want to do the course. You can take a gap year and apply again next year.

The letter I got saying why I didn't make it was pretty vague. I'd say I'm fairly likely to make the grades, though it's hard to tell; I'm predicted AAA, but predictions from my school are known for being lower than one the teachers actually expect you to get. I've also massively increased the amount of work I'm doing, so I'd say that A*A*A isn't out of the question. A gap year is on the cards if I do exceed expectations, but I'd prefer not to.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I wouldn't recommend this

You would be swapping from one faculty to another (so this isn't just a case of changing a few modules).

Looking at https://www.dur.ac.uk/learningandteaching.handbook/2/1/2/it seems like this is something that would only really be allowed after you'd completed the first year and would involve you swapping and restarting on the new course.

I'd recommend you ring up Durham and explain that you would be keen to swap to English and ask if and when that might be possible (and what circumstances would need to be met)....their response will make it clear if they'd be open to this or whether you'd be essentially signing up for a course you don't want to study with close to no chance of swapping.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Ringing up Durham sounds like it might be the best idea.

Quick Reply

Latest