The Student Room Group

How can i move to another university for my second year?

i want to move to a different university next year and im not completely sure on how to even start that.
Have you read the first post of the University Transfer FAQ thread at the top of applications, clearing and ucas ?
Original post by Redhood~
i want to move to a different university next year and im not completely sure on how to even start that.

Hi there,

Transferring is possible, I have several friends that have done so. I think that a good way to start is by talking to your academic tutor at your current university for advice on who to contact and how to ensure that the course you're moving to is correct.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Transferring is possible, I have several friends that have done so. I think that a good way to start is by talking to your academic tutor at your current university for advice on who to contact and how to ensure that the course you're moving to is correct.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

This is really not the best place to start. The best place is to look on UCAS for universities still accepting applications into year 2 and to start putting together a UCAS application.

A tutor is worth talking to about getting an academic reference for UCAS but they’re not generally informed on UCAS application processes for transfers or suitable other courses - the new university will make a judgement about whether the course content is similar enough to allow a transfer
Original post by PQ
This is really not the best place to start. The best place is to look on UCAS for universities still accepting applications into year 2 and to start putting together a UCAS application.

A tutor is worth talking to about getting an academic reference for UCAS but they’re not generally informed on UCAS application processes for transfers or suitable other courses - the new university will make a judgement about whether the course content is similar enough to allow a transfer

Yeah the other universities are best to make judgements on the course contents but tutors can also be very helpful in how to start the process. Some do know a lot about how students transfer universities, so depending on their tutor it might be helpful. Or any other staff members at their current university who may have the knowledge. But ofc searching up first the universities that allows transfers etc is a good start and then contact someone for support

Hi,

I actually transferred to a different uni for my second year! I personally contacted the university I wanted to transfer to (their admissions team), and they were able to inform me if it was a possibility and what I’d need to get in first year in order to meet their requirements. They also guided me with my UCAS application, alongside my tutor from previous uni.

So, whilst the above is correct and you do go through UCAS, I’d personally also recommend contacting the admissions team of the uni you want to transfer to as well as they may be able to offer you more specific advice!!

If you have any other transfer related questions, let me know!! :smile:

Natalie
PhD student @ University of Kent
Hey,

Transferring universities after first year is possible. You will need to check that the university you want to change to accepts transfers so I would recommend contact them to know your options. For support, have a chat with your course tutor if you feel comfortable as they will be able to give the best advice on the process.

Best wishes, 😊
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending