The Student Room Group

Transferring Universities after a foundation year

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on transferring universities after a foundation year.

I just got done with A levels and unfortunately due to mitigating circumstances didn’t perform well and got a DEE. University of East Anglia are offering me a foundation year to study biological sciences, however my end goal is Pharmacy and I’m willing to work hard and put in effort to reach this goal.

When applying through UCAS, the University of Bath offered me a place to study with them but I unfortunately didn’t meet the grades. I was wondering if anyone knew whether after doing a foundation year course at University of East Anglia, I could transfer and finish studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath or any other good university.

I was also just curious about what the application process is like and whether they would look at A level grades.

If anyone has transferred after a foundation year, it would be really great to hear from you, or of you have any information at all.

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
from what ive seen so long as it isn't medicine you can transfer between universities but just to make sure you should call your universities admissions team and ask them if they accept transfers from foundation years.
Reply 2
Okay that’s great thank you
I really hope they don’t consider A levels but again they might because they would want me to apply through UCAS for an undergraduate pharmacy course
Reply 3
Hi, I had a similar issue... i was initially planning to do a foundation year but..
1. it doesn't necessarily guarantee a place on the undergraduate course
2. It's unlikely to help you get in to other universities as it is up to the uni wether or not they will acknowledge it
3. Overall, your a-levels are still the larger factor in wether you are more or less likely to receive an offer

Therefore, it is unlikely that you will be able to transfer both uni and course, unless ur grades or reference are impeccable at the end of the foundation year.

I've just decided to take another year of a-levels due to this since, overall, a-level retakes are worth more than a foundation year - as long as your
grades are good afterwards - but check with the uni ur interested in.

Original post by nina k
Okay that’s great thank you
I really hope they don’t consider A levels but again they might because they would want me to apply through UCAS for an undergraduate pharmacy course
Original post by Llycia
Hi, I had a similar issue... i was initially planning to do a foundation year but..
1. it doesn't necessarily guarantee a place on the undergraduate course
2. It's unlikely to help you get in to other universities as it is up to the uni wether or not they will acknowledge it
3. Overall, your a-levels are still the larger factor in wether you are more or less likely to receive an offer

Therefore, it is unlikely that you will be able to transfer both uni and course, unless ur grades or reference are impeccable at the end of the foundation year.

I've just decided to take another year of a-levels due to this since, overall, a-level retakes are worth more than a foundation year - as long as your
grades are good afterwards - but check with the uni ur interested in.

I'm going to mail a few universities first before I retake.

Because I dont see myself getting A in 3 different subjects for A Level
Reply 5
ooh if you get a reply can you tell us what they say? thanks:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Entrepreneur.
I'm going to mail a few universities first before I retake.

Because I dont see myself getting A in 3 different subjects for A Level
Reply 6
Hey hun x I transferred to University of Nottingham from Keele foundation year to study pharmacy. I’m now a graduate and a pharmacist.
Original post by nina k
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on transferring universities after a foundation year.

I just got done with A levels and unfortunately due to mitigating circumstances didn’t perform well and got a DEE. University of East Anglia are offering me a foundation year to study biological sciences, however my end goal is Pharmacy and I’m willing to work hard and put in effort to reach this goal.

When applying through UCAS, the University of Bath offered me a place to study with them but I unfortunately didn’t meet the grades. I was wondering if anyone knew whether after doing a foundation year course at University of East Anglia, I could transfer and finish studying Pharmacy at the University of Bath or any other good university.

I was also just curious about what the application process is like and whether they would look at A level grades.

If anyone has transferred after a foundation year, it would be really great to hear from you, or of you have any information at all.

Thank you so much!
(edited 8 months ago)
Just be warned that doing this will use your gift year of student finance (which means if you need to restart or repeat a year later on then you won’t get a tuition fee loan).

Foundation years aren’t a universally recognised qualification - they’re designed for going into yr 1 of that course at that university and not for entry into degrees at other universities.
Reply 8
Original post by nina k
Hi guys,

Thank you so much!

hi, i’m currently doing a foundation year in physics at Aberystwyth university after rly badly flopping my alevels and being rejected from my firm uni, i’m also looking at transferring unis through ucas, if you have socials or something we could get in contact? i’m currently close to submitting my ucas application for 2024 with my foundation year instead of alevels.
Original post by Adinakh13
hi, i’m currently doing a foundation year in physics at Aberystwyth university after rly badly flopping my alevels and being rejected from my firm uni, i’m also looking at transferring unis through ucas, if you have socials or something we could get in contact? i’m currently close to submitting my ucas application for 2024 with my foundation year instead of alevels.

Will you also please note that generally you cannot use a foundation year to transfer elsewhere. Foundation years are not accepted like A levels. To start a university course you will need to meet the entry requirement for that university and that will be A level grades. The foundation year is for entry to first year in the university you take it. It isnt for elsewhere although occasionally other universities might accept. DO NOT think you will be able to use it elsewhere for any subject because that usually isnt the case. DO NOT start a foundation course unless you intend taking a degree at that university. There has been a lot of misinformation in some posts on this thread who clearly dont know the facts,
Reply 10
Original post by Elocin505
Hey hun x I transferred to University of Nottingham from Keele foundation year to study pharmacy. I’m now a graduate and a pharmacist.

Hii which course was you taking at Nottingham before you transferred courses?
Reply 11
Speaking from personal experience here. This may not be applicable to all students, just what worked for me!
Started a foundation year at Coventry for psychology after failing my A-levels (I already have my offer to start my first year with them) However I wanted to see if I could transfer. This it isn’t an easy task however not impossible.
When contacting other universities for an opportunity to transfer, I had to provide GCSE’s, A-levels, Course modules, syllabus and my transcripts. Certain uni’s would not accept transfers into first years, others said I was not applicable for psychology etc.
I then started asking about sociology which is what I’ve applied for on all 5 UCAS options. Lancaster, York and Leeds Beckett said if I got X marks I would be considered (I’m currently on target).
I’m sending off my application today so we’ll just have to see if it follows through but it’s hard to say given that when you take a foundation year at a given uni or institution, it’s tailored for that specific university and no where else (if that makes sense?) So it honestly depends on what course you’re studying during your foundation year and what course you're applying for and at which university.
You honestly just have to email the universities you’d liked to apply for and ask if you’re applicable and if it’s worth applying because you’ve only got 5 options.

Hope this helps!

How do you find Aberystwyth uni?
hi I was wondering what did you do for accom for the next year as im currently in the process of transferring but it depends on my end of year pass rate so im not sure what to do for the next year accommodation incase I transfer or if I stay

HII , what are you going to do for accom at Aberystwyth uni just incase you have to stay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending