Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalandpie)
    Hi!

I will be a postgraduate student starting in October. I live nearby and was wondering if college life is for me.

A little about me, I am probably the biggest introvert that you will ever meet, I am shy and like to keep to myself. But I really want to move out for many reasons. One of which is that I live in a very unsupportive home. I wouldn't be awkward around people, but I have bad anxiety and I was wondering if college life could be for me still. I kind of just want to keep to myself and make my own food in the kitchens, basically just move out of my current home. Hopefully over time my confidence will grow again ( staying at home will never help with that ). The reason I ask if college will be okay for me is because I don't want to ruin other peoples college life by being the only person not getting involved in things. I hope with time that I do, but I would probably say no to nights out all of the time and dinners out, not out of rudeness, just because of anxiety. Like I mentioned, I hope with time that I would be better and get to know more people.

I am not sure if people get to know each other beforehand but I have been writing for a while about SJW, feminism, Equality, and how bad I think the current examination system is and I like cooking, dancing, and travelling. I hope someone can help me with this and I won't be upset if someone tells me college life won't be for me. Sorry I hope this is not an awkward post to answer.
    I definitely don't think that you going to college would ruin anybody else's college life. Have you visited the colleges? It's probably the best way to know whether or not college life is for you. From what I've seen, each college varies so much, and there might well be one that you'd love. I think college is a great opportunity for gaining confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie2810)
    Found out I got my first choice of Hatfield to study law, so happy !! x
    Hello fellow Hatfield lawyer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pen ruler)
    Allocated to Josephine Butler for History, not particularly happy ngl but going to check it out on the post offer day.
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    I have been reallocated to Trevelyan College for Law (applied to Collingewood). I am a little apprehensive because I really didn't want to share a room and formals every two weeks :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameistara)
    I definitely don't think that you going to college would ruin anybody else's college life. Have you visited the colleges? It's probably the best way to know whether or not college life is for you. From what I've seen, each college varies so much, and there might well be one that you'd love. I think college is a great opportunity for gaining confidence.
    Thank you for the reply, Tara. I have not visited the colleges. Maybe meeting with some other students would be helpful, or perhaps getting to know some others before starting. May I ask what you study and which college you are part of? Also, is accommodation for your first year only?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've been allocated to Van Mildert College when i applied to Castle.. can someone tell me the positives and negatives of living at Van Mildert and life at the uni in general? Do people from the colleges mix often and how is catered food/ sharing a bathroom?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if St Cuthbert's has a college family thing like some of the other colleges where you get parents and marry people etc?

ReputationRep:
    I've been reallocated to St Cuth's for Law and I originally applied for St John's. I haven't received an email from the college yet but I found out by booking the post-offer open day. Not sure how I feel about St Cuth's but I am quite disappointed because I really wanted St John's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrm_98)
    I've been reallocated to St Cuth's for Law and I originally applied for St John's. I haven't received an email from the college yet but I found out by booking the post-offer open day. Not sure how I feel about St Cuth's but I am quite disappointed because I really wanted St John's
    Sorry that you didn't get the one you wanted 🙁 But hopefully this will cheer you up a little! ☺️
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/thetab....?client=safari

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortoises172)
    Does anyone know if St Cuthbert's has a college family thing like some of the other colleges where you get parents and marry people etc?
    Eh? Marriage!? This is all a bit fast!

ReputationRep:
    Just booked my place on the residential for Tues/Weds! I was just going to do a day trip to avoid missing college, but my mother and all of you lovely TSRians booking your places persuaded me to go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CeylonDiva)
    Eh? Marriage!? This is all a bit fast!
    😂 you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinisterist)
    Sorry that you didn't get the one you wanted 🙁 But hopefully this will cheer you up a little! ☺️
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/thetab....?client=safari
    Ayy! Thank you😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortoises172)
    ^^^Want to know the same about St. John's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    ^^^Want to know the same about St. John's...
    I've been allocated John's and although I'm (technically) a Christian(been baptised etc) I dont practice it and preferred the college because it was so pretty and I loved the atmosphere not for the religious side! And yes Im pretty sure they do the college family thing at John's. Hope to be there in October ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksherbert)
    I've been allocated John's and although I'm (technically) a Christian(been baptised etc) I dont practice it and preferred the college because it was so pretty and I loved the atmosphere not for the religious side! And yes Im pretty sure they do the college family thing at John's. Hope to be there in October ☺️
    Another Johnian!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Actually, now that I remember it, when I was initially looking at colleges to put one down as preference, I jotted down St John's along with st Chad's, on the basis of location and how beautiful it was, so I guess it's all good, getting allocated to one out of the two 😁 what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Thanks! Actually, now that I remember it, when I was initially looking at colleges to put one down as preference, I jotted down St John's along with st Chad's, on the basis of location and how beautiful it was, so I guess it's all good, getting allocated to one out of the two 😁 what did you apply for?
    yeah like we're super lucky to be on the bailey too anyways! I applied for Chemistry, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    yeah like we're super lucky to be on the bailey too anyways! I applied for Chemistry, what about you?
    English literature xx

ReputationRep:
    HI, Just wondering where those allocated to the castle, actually live?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.