The Student Room Group

Indian Premier League 2017 thread

Hi guys/gals,

after the success of last years ipl thread (which started a bit late), i thought Id start one this year the week of the auctions.

the auctions are on Monday 20th february and the IPL starts Wednesday 5th april

feel free to discuss about IPL and cricket in general.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

5th of april need to remember that date :ahee:
Reply 2
KKR fan checking in.
Reply 4
IPL 2017 player auction is likely to take place in the third week of February following a delay from the originally proposed date of February 4.

It will happen between February 20 and 25.
RCB fan here.

Not sure if the auction list is released yet, but Tymal Mills will probably be the most sought after player in the auction. He was excellent against India.

Jason Roy I reckon will also get an IPL run this year.

And KKR needs an all rounder now don't they, since Russel got banned? Ben Stokes anyone?
And have they still got Chris Lynn? cause they seriously need to utilize him more effectively.
Reply 6
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see which England players get picked. Stuart Broad was exceptional at the BBL and I hope he throws his hat into the ring.

Buttler, Roy, Morgan, Billings and Stokes will all undoubtedly feature too.
RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB!!! Hell yea this years IPL trophy has RCB written all over it!!!💥

King kohli <3
Ab de villiers <3
Gayle storm <3
Mitchell starch <3
Original post by If u dont mind
RCB RCB RCB RCB RCB!!! Hell yea this years IPL trophy has RCB written all over it!!!💥

King kohli <3
Ab de villiers <3
Gayle storm <3
Mitchell starch <3

Overconfidence is not a good thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Vikram Mansingh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. But, to be fair, they have a fearsome roster.
Original post by Mackay
I agree. But, to be fair, they have a fearsome roster.

Depends on how they construct the rest of the team in the auction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Looking forward to seeing how Jayawardene gets on, after he was appointed head coach of the Mumbai Indians, replacing Ricky Ponting.
Original post by Vikram Mansingh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can be overconfident!! I'm only supporting a team. Weather they win or lose, it is NOT gonna affect my life.
so why do u think overconfidence is an issue in here?
Reply 13
KP opts out of the IPL. He has cited a busy winter as a reason for not entering the player auction scheduled for later this month.

His previous IPL bids:
2009 - $1.55 million (Royal Challengers Bangalore)
2011 - $650,000 (Deccan Chargers)
2014 - $1.33 million approx. (Delhi Daredevils)
2015 - $300,000 approx. (Sunrisers Hyderabad)
2016 - $520,000 approx. (Rising Pune Supergiants)

He has also been fined AUD 5000 for criticising an umpiring decision on air while fielding during the BBL semi final. Not the best week for him.
Original post by Mackay
IPL 2017 player auction is likely to take place in the third week of February following a delay from the originally proposed date of February 4.

It will happen between February 20 and 25.

dag nammit, the reasons for delay?
Original post by Mackay
KP opts out of the IPL. He has cited a busy winter as a reason for not entering the player auction scheduled for later this month.

His previous IPL bids:

He has also been fined AUD 5000 for criticising an umpiring decision on air while fielding during the BBL semi final. Not the best week for him.

Darn it... he's one of my favourite players... what I usually do in IPL is support the team he's in. I guess I'll find another team to support then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

His previous IPL bids:

KP is overrated imo when it comes to playing on indian pitches. He was decent last big bash but he is way to inconsistent (worse than rohit sharma, at least with sharma you know he is crap when setting targets vs chasing; kp u cant tell).

on top of that, he always seems to be getting injured around IPL tournaments as well so you cant really tell how he would be in a full tournament in india
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Looking forward to seeing how Bumrah carries his form for India into the IPL tournament. I'm such a fan of his ability at the death. His 28 wickets in 2016 was the most by any bowler in T20Is, at an economy rate of 6.62. Against he has taken five wickets in three games at an economy rate of 6.20. The last of those wickets was also Bumrah's 100th in all Twenty20 matches, making him the 14th Indian seamer to reach the mark.

I’ve already spoken about his brilliance at the death, and the numbers prove it further: among the bowlers who have bowled at least 12 overs at the death (16th to 20th overs) since the start of 2016, only two - Mohammad Naveed (UAE) and Bangladesh's Mustafizur Rahman - have better economy rates. Most other bowlers concede, on average, a four or a six every over, but Bumrah concedes one every nine balls.

He conceded just one run (plus a leg-bye) in the last over against England in Nagpur earlier this week, when the tourists required eight, and that was the 17th time in a T20I that Bumrah had gone at a run a ball or less in the last four overs (17th to 20th overs).
Original post by Mackay
Looking forward to seeing how Bumrah carries his form for India into the IPL tournament. I'm such a fan of his ability at the death. His 28 wickets in 2016 was the most by any bowler in T20Is, at an economy rate of 6.62. Against he has taken five wickets in three games at an economy rate of 6.20. The last of those wickets was also Bumrah's 100th in all Twenty20 matches, making him the 14th Indian seamer to reach the mark.

I’ve already spoken about his brilliance at the death, and the numbers prove it further: among the bowlers who have bowled at least 12 overs at the death (16th to 20th overs) since the start of 2016, only two - Mohammad Naveed (UAE) and Bangladesh's Mustafizur Rahman - have better economy rates. Most other bowlers concede, on average, a four or a six every over, but Bumrah concedes one every nine balls.

He conceded just one run (plus a leg-bye) in the last over against England in Nagpur earlier this week, when the tourists required eight, and that was the 17th time in a T20I that Bumrah had gone at a run a ball or less in the last four overs (17th to 20th overs).

bumrah was probably mumbais most consistent bowler last year (as well as a surprisingly resilient bhaji). as a mumbai fan, I hope his form carries.

what I dont get about the recent england series is why krunal pandya wasnt selected as he was better in ipl last year than hardik.

now onto the auctions, any idea of which players are up for it (I noticed martin guptil isnt part of mumbai anymore yet amla is still retained by punjab)
(edited 7 years ago)
KP citing a rest for not playing in this year's IPL hides the rumours that he wouldn't have been picked up. His last two purses have come down and it'd be embarrassing, and potentially, damaging to his future employment if that was the case. So best to say he wants a break to avoid that. He delivered a good performance in the BBL.... in the commentary box yet the comments of Darren Lehmann praising his exit from Australia suggests it's a theory agreed by many.

Quick Reply

Latest