The Student Room Group

"Strong Academic Record" - Subjectivity?

Hey Guys,

So i'm applying to some law firms for vacation schemes, and most of the firms ask for a subjective "strong academic record" whilst others simply list A level requirements.

For the firms that ask for the "strong academic record", I am slightly worried. I achieved ABB in my A levels, and I'm currently averaging a reasonable 2:1 (64) at Leeds University studying Philosophy and Politics.

However, my GCSE's were very shoddy back in the day: 2A*'s, 4B's, 4C's (all C's in the three sciences and maths).

Do you think this could suffice as a "strong academic record"? I am worried firms will be wary of my GCSE results.

Many Thanks

Nozick
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Very few firms care about GCSEs - many don't even ask for the details on application forms these days either.

Firms say "strong academic record" so they can be vague, especially if they are using contextualised recruitment processes.

The main issue you have is that your combined A-levels and modules grades - some firms may consider them more solid/good rather than "strong".

Hey JSP, thanks for the reply.

The firms I'm applying for are more mid-sized firms such as Freeths, Fladgates, Bircham Dyson Bell and Gordon Dadds. Furthermore, I've applied to some smaller firms also, such as Goodman Derrick and Peters & Peters.

For firms like these, do you think my results are acceptable? Sorry if that's a hard question! I understand it ranges from firm to firm
Original post by Nozick11
Hey Guys,

So i'm applying to some law firms for vacation schemes, and most of the firms ask for a subjective "strong academic record" whilst others simply list A level requirements.

For the firms that ask for the "strong academic record", I am slightly worried. I achieved ABB in my A levels, and I'm currently averaging a reasonable 2:1 (64) at Leeds University studying Philosophy and Politics.

However, my GCSE's were very shoddy back in the day: 2A*'s, 4B's, 4C's (all C's in the three sciences and maths).

Do you think this could suffice as a "strong academic record"? I am worried firms will be wary of my GCSE results.

Many Thanks

Nozick

Way too vague tbh. I didn't really think employers cared too much about GCSEs, other than of maths and English

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending