The Student Room Group

Edexcel EPQ Secondary referencing

Idk how some of you guys read 40+ sources, for my dissertations subject (on the influence of AI on...) the papers are at a minimum 20 pages (split down the middle too...). To what extent do you guys fully read the source? or do you just shove the quote of a source (which you did not read but was referenced in another) into the bibliography?
Original post by JulRie
Idk how some of you guys read 40+ sources, for my dissertations subject (on the influence of AI on...) the papers are at a minimum 20 pages (split down the middle too...). To what extent do you guys fully read the source? or do you just shove the quote of a source (which you did not read but was referenced in another) into the bibliography?

"To die, - To sleep, - To sleep!
Perchance to dream: - ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;"

I've just successfully quoted Shakespeare's Hamlet, although I haven't read the entire play.

The same applies to academic referencing. You can reference a piece of work without having read every word, or even most of it. You'd want to read the abstract, obviously, and ensure that what you're quoting or referencing isn't then "undone" later in the paper ("However, further research established that the finding above could not be relied upon..."), but beyond that you don't need to have read every paper cover to cover - especially for an EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending