The Student Room Group

Cartesian and parametric equations

I'm currently doing some FP1 past papers and need the Cartesian and Parametric equations for a parabola and a rectangular hyperbola, can anyone remind me what they are? Thanks.
Original post by Abismuth
I'm currently doing some FP1 past papers and need the Cartesian and Parametric equations for a parabola and a rectangular hyperbola, can anyone remind me what they are? Thanks.

Parabola : x=at2,y=2at x=at^2 , y=2at
Rectangular Hyperbola: x=ct,y=ct x=ct , y=\frac{c}{t}
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
Parabola : x=at2,y=2at x=at^2 , y=2at
Rectangular Hyperbola: x=ct,y=ct x=ct , y=\frac{c}{t}

Thanks, did you study FP1 ?
Thanks, did you study FP1 ?

NP, Yes, I did it last year.
Reply 4
Original post by NotNotBatman
NP, Yes, I did it last year.

Do you have any tips? I have an exam in a few weeks.
Like any handy way to remember anything?
Do you have any tips? I have an exam in a few weeks.
Like any handy way to remember anything?

Just practise; FP1 is pretty much the same questions each year with different numbers, one thing I can say is if there are multiple ways of approaching a question, learn all the different methods rather than only ever using one method. Use appropriate booklets on madasmaths.com , the proof by induction questions helped me a lot last year.
Reply 6

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf

Do you know that Edexcel has a formula booklet?

Quick Reply

Latest