The Student Room Group

Do I need to take a gap year?

Hey everyone, so I'm in year 12 and I recently decided I want to study veterinary medicine at uni (I know, I left it very late). Almost everyone in my year who wants to do any form of medicine will be applying for uni around October this year. I think I should be able to get the grades required for entry but there is just one problem, I have absolutely no work experience. I understand how important work experience is, especially for vet courses..I'm really interested in Nottingham and Surrey but they both require 4-6 weeks work experience..I managed to get a two week placement at a vets over the summer as well as a volunteering opportunity at a stables during weekends, but apart from that there is absolutely no way I will be able to fit in that much experience before October. Would it be best for me to take a gap year after year 13 in order to gain some experience? Or do you think I may be able to take my chances and apply for some universities this year?
Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
So I was in the same boat as you last year and it was around the same time I decided to do vet med. Now honestly, I didn't start my work experience until July, I got 2 weeks work experience over the summer and the vets put me in contact with an RDA group, and over the summer I volunteered twice a week with them for about 3 hours. I then got a placement on a milking farm in SEPTEMBER going out once a week for 3 hours. At the RDA I still volunteer once a week because its just good craic, and I stopped working at the farm back in January. I sent my application away on the 14th of October not expecting to get an interview because I was adamant I hadn't enough work experience, BUT now I'm sitting with all four interviews, 3 completed and one to do (Nottingham, Bristol, Glasgow and Edinburgh) and I have 2 offers and no rejections. I also worked in a pet shop for about a year and a half which helped and volunteered for years with a conservation charity which I put in my ps.

So I wouldn't say you would need a gap year and I definitely would send an application away this year - just make sure you can get AS MUCH WORK EXPERIENCE OVER SUMMER AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE because I didn't know any if this before July lol. Ask the vets for contacts for farmers that will be willing for milking/pig farm/sheep farm etc they will more than likely be willing to help you out. Look around your area for an RDA group, they always need volunteers and its great working with the horses because it really develops your handling skills and learn about their treatment. Get work experience in animal shelters/volunteer.

It is possible because I'm a walking example that it is.

Goodluck and let us know how you get on!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Banana fana
So I was in the same boat as you last year and it was around the same time I decided to do vet med. Now honestly, I didn't start my work experience until July, I got 2 weeks work experience over the summer and the vets put me in contact with an RDA group, and over the summer I volunteered twice a week with them for about 3 hours. I then got a placement on a milking farm in SEPTEMBER going out once a week for 3 hours. At the RDA I still volunteer once a week because its just good craic, and I stopped working at the farm back in January. I sent my application away on the 14th of October not expecting to get an interview because I was adamant I hadn't enough work experience, BUT now I'm sitting with all four interviews, 3 completed and one to do (Nottingham, Bristol, Glasgow and Edinburgh) and I have 2 offers and no rejections. I also worked in a pet shop for about a year and a half which helped and volunteered for years with a conservation charity which I put in my ps.

So I wouldn't say you would need a gap year and I definitely would send an application away this year - just make sure you can get AS MUCH WORK EXPERIENCE OVER SUMMER AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE because I didn't know any if this before July lol. Ask the vets for contacts for farmers that will be willing for milking/pig farm/sheep farm etc they will more than likely be willing to help you out. Look around your area for an RDA group, they always need volunteers and its great working with the horses because it really develops your handling skills and learn about their treatment. Get work experience in animal shelters/volunteer.

It is possible because I'm a walking example that it is.

Goodluck and let us know how you get on!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much, and congratulations on getting 4 interviews! That's amazing. Best of luck for the future.
Original post by crowleybeans
This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much, and congratulations on getting 4 interviews! That's amazing. Best of luck for the future.

What about lambing? It's super experience and the farmers around here are usually keen for any help, our nearest farm don't start lambing till April so you should have plenty of time to get a few days in over the Easter holiday. A total of 4 weeks will be enough for several of the schools. (No hope for Liverpool, though!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending