The Student Room Group

I don’t know how to tell my parents I want to take a gap year

I’m thinking of taking a gap year but I don’t know how to properly tell my parents. I’ve kind of spoken about this to my mum and whenever I do she gets upset. It’s not like she’s angry it’s more of a worry since gap years can be a bit hard especially if you do not have a proper plan. For me I plan to get work experience especially in my field and even see if it’s the right job for me since I am a bit unsure as to whether or not I actually want to do the course. I’ve been meaning to take a gap year since my mental health as honestly taken a toll on me - year 13 is absolutely disgusting and my mental health is just not it, it has also affected my physical health too as I’ve found myself to be constantly tired and I get really bad stomach aches too. I feel like taking a gap year would honestly help me to find myself but I don’t know how to tell my parents. Any advice?
Original post by moomoa
I’m thinking of taking a gap year but I don’t know how to properly tell my parents. I’ve kind of spoken about this to my mum and whenever I do she gets upset. It’s not like she’s angry it’s more of a worry since gap years can be a bit hard especially if you do not have a proper plan. For me I plan to get work experience especially in my field and even see if it’s the right job for me since I am a bit unsure as to whether or not I actually want to do the course. I’ve been meaning to take a gap year since my mental health as honestly taken a toll on me - year 13 is absolutely disgusting and my mental health is just not it, it has also affected my physical health too as I’ve found myself to be constantly tired and I get really bad stomach aches too. I feel like taking a gap year would honestly help me to find myself but I don’t know how to tell my parents. Any advice?

well im taking a gap year too hopefully if I get at least AAA cause I didn't get any offers this year for medicine. my parents are actually encouraging me to take a gap year as they understand how competitive medicine is, what subject are you interested in? and also explain to your parents that allot of people take gap years and universities actually encourage it! I think your parents just need a bit educated on what a gap year is, how it can drastically improve your application and once again unis encourage people to take a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by B7861
well im taking a gap year too hopefully if I get at least AAA cause I didn't get any offers this year for medicine. my parents are actually encouraging me to take a gap year as they understand how competitive medicine is, what subject are you interested in? and also explain to your parents that allot of people take gap years and universities actually encourage it! I think your parents just need a bit educated on what a gap year is, how it can drastically improve your application and once again unis encourage people to take a gap year.

I’m thinking of doing psychology, I’m going to try and convince my parents so thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest