The Student Room Group

Gap year

Can I take a gap year at 17? I'm supposed to be doing my second year of a levels but I don't want to right now due to particular reasons
Hi there,

I'd really advise against that unless you have an extremely good reason to. Some (many?) universities will not be too big a fans of that and might consider it as you taking three years to do A Levels and will require you to provide evidence of extenuating circumstances. But some won't. It's an extremely uncommon thing and might hinder you later on... but if you absolutely must take a gap year due to mental health or any other problem that you're facing, then... well, you really have no choice then. Before you do anything I'd advice speaking with your family and speak with your school as well. If you end up taking a gap year, try to gather as much evidence and paperwork as you can to be able to show why your gap year was necessary, it'll really come in handy for you later down the line should you ever need to explain why you needed to take a gap year when you did. Hope you're OK, if there's anything else you might need help on please ask!

Quick Reply

Latest