The Student Room Group

Gap year

Hi, I’m a current year 13 who’s now not sure if I want to do a gap year. Does it really matter if I go a year later and what are the pros and cons?
Original post by emilyslw
Hi, I’m a current year 13 who’s now not sure if I want to do a gap year. Does it really matter if I go a year later and what are the pros and cons?

Hi @emilyslw,

I think it's important to first identify why you would take a gap year. "Do I need a break from my studies?", "do I need time to decide what I want to do for my career?", "should I earn some money before university?". Gap years are very dependent on the individual, some are advised not to take a gap year and vice versa.

Most students tend to take a gap year to take an opportunity to gain experiences and additional skills that could polish up their CV, as gap years give them sufficient time to focus and reflect on their next steps. Additionally, with the experiences and skills they gain, they could relate it to the course they wish to study- this could be used for their personal statement. On the other hand, there are some "cons" to gap years as well. Some students during their gap year could get distracted and deter from their original path in education, disrupting their long term plans. Moreover, the break could take a toll on your mental and emotional wellbeing, some students can feel left behind as they observe their peers advance in university. And once you're done with you're gap year, you could find the transition back into education more difficult.

It's important you consult your decisions with your parents or caregivers, or even friends and hear out what they have to say. As I mentioned before, gap years are dependent on the individual and each to their own experience. Remember that an unstructured year won't add much value to your future, therefore, if you do decide to take a gap year, please plan it thoroughly.

All the best in your future endeavours!
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest