The Student Room Group

Volunteering for medicine

I was wondering in your opinion what would be better when it comes to volunteering and work experience for medicine. I currently have a choice from work experience in a hospital, volunteering at a hospital or volunteering at a charity shop. I've also had work experience in a nursery. Thank you^^
Original post by Kaylee086
I was wondering in your opinion what would be better when it comes to volunteering and work experience for medicine. I currently have a choice from work experience in a hospital, volunteering at a hospital or volunteering at a charity shop. I've also had work experience in a nursery. Thank you^^

Almost certainly the first two. What kind of hospital work experience is it?

Volunteering in a charity shop isn't really going to give you any insight into what being a doctor is like.
You probably want both the work experience and hospital volunteering as lots of medical schools now look for a long term caring commitment as long as or as well as work experience/shadowing. Work experience in a nursery is still useful but a charity shop would be much less useful than the first two unless you had no other options (which you obviously don't).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending