The Student Room Group

How much work experience needed for medicine?

I'm struggling to find work experience at the moment. I've done some virtual ones recently and am applying for a local hospital one in the summer but I can't find any in person ones. One of my parents' friends said I could sit in at their practice at some point but I'm worried that I'm not getting any definite plans and I'll end up without any.

How much is needed realistically? And is virtual work experience bad in comparison to in person?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by study23!
I'm struggling to find work experience at the moment. I've done some virtual ones recently and am applying for a local hospital one in the summer but I can't find any in person ones. One of my parents' friends said I could sit in at their practice at some point but I'm worried that I'm not getting any definite plans and I'll end up without any.

How much is needed realistically? And is virtual work experience bad in comparison to in person?

My school always said x2 work experience and x1 volunteering. I think that would be the minimum. Volunteering would have to be over a long period of time to show that you are dependable and should be something that can represent your empathy. Your personal statement will be packed and you’ll want to talk more than just about your work experiences - E.g oxbridge unis are very wider-reading focused. So considering that, x3 experiences sounds good because you’ll want to fit in what you learned from them, articles and books you’ve read, why medicine, link in your A levels etc.

Work experiences:

Charity shop

GP

Pharmacy

The virtual ones

Volunteering

in the hospital

Care home

In a school, nursery

I struggled to get work experience as well for a while. Really, you just keep calling up each place. I think I called up at least 25 pharmacies for a placement. For the care home I think I got a placement on my second phone call. The hospitals were complicated with their NHS work experience programmes so a placement is not guaranteed there. Took around 8 months with back and forth emails. I think virtual ones are acceptable but perhaps more so in covid times? I can’t say what unis think but I’d guess that you should at least have one or two in-person experiences.
Reply 3

There is no set minimum amount of work experience - you need to do enough to have things to talk about at an interview.
The virtual ones are fine and everyone should have done those, I think. But other WEx does not need to be clinical and can be volunteering or even a public facing part time job
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/work-experience
(click on all the links)
Reply 4
Volunteering gives you more transferable skills and says more about you as a person than shadowing does. Long term volunteering positions - ideally with different client groups ie say, elderly people, children, or people with disabilities - get you the chance to show responsibility and to develop skills working with people over a long period of time and give you an idea of whether you will actually enjoy working with people. By comparison, shadowing basically says you can fill in forms, send some emails, and can walk or sit down for however long you happened to do it for.
Yes, I’m being slightly facetious. But the ratio really shouldn’t be tipped towards work experience. Work experience should give you an opportunity to identify skills and qualities necessary to do the job and then relate it to your own skill set and personal qualities that you have developed in various settings and roles. And one set of work experience is pretty much the same as another once it comes time to you actually condensing all of this into a personal statement. And work experience/shadowing will count for almost nothing in the interview, in which questions tend to be formulated around “tell me about a time when you…”

The Manchester form for medicine is actually really telling. People who have done little else besides shadowing tend to have almost nothing to say on that form and really struggle to pad it out. If you look at that form, you’ll get an idea of the sorts of things you should be able to talk about in a personal statement. Likewise, look at interview questions for medicine and try to have a think about what sort of answers you would want to give.
Reply 5
Original post by TMTDRN
Volunteering gives you more transferable skills and says more about you as a person than shadowing does. Long term volunteering positions - ideally with different client groups ie say, elderly people, children, or people with disabilities - get you the chance to show responsibility and to develop skills working with people over a long period of time and give you an idea of whether you will actually enjoy working with people. By comparison, shadowing basically says you can fill in forms, send some emails, and can walk or sit down for however long you happened to do it for.
Yes, I’m being slightly facetious. But the ratio really shouldn’t be tipped towards work experience. Work experience should give you an opportunity to identify skills and qualities necessary to do the job and then relate it to your own skill set and personal qualities that you have developed in various settings and roles. And one set of work experience is pretty much the same as another once it comes time to you actually condensing all of this into a personal statement. And work experience/shadowing will count for almost nothing in the interview, in which questions tend to be formulated around “tell me about a time when you…”

The Manchester form for medicine is actually really telling. People who have done little else besides shadowing tend to have almost nothing to say on that form and really struggle to pad it out. If you look at that form, you’ll get an idea of the sorts of things you should be able to talk about in a personal statement. Likewise, look at interview questions for medicine and try to have a think about what sort of answers you would want to give.

Thanks so much! I’ve tried to volunteer with a children’s charity for months but the application process hasn’t been working for me and they’ve been trying to work it out but it’s taking so long so I’m thinking of looking maybe at a local care home instead so I can get that long term experience. I do litter picking but as you pointed out the volunteering should probably be people centred.

I’ve done a part time job for the last six months in retail where I’ve experienced helping people and working in a team etc, but I’m assuming most unis wouldn’t count this as an experience for transferable skills. I’m going to resign from the job soon to focus on studies and pick up some volunteering too, but I was wondering if you thought my part time job was of any use at all in mentioning in interviews if they do ask me a ‘tell me a time when’ sort of question.
Reply 6
Thanks so much! I’ve tried to volunteer with a children’s charity for months but the application process hasn’t been working for me and they’ve been trying to work it out but it’s taking so long so I’m thinking of looking maybe at a local care home instead so I can get that long term experience. I do litter picking but as you pointed out the volunteering should probably be people centred.

I’ve done a part time job for the last six months in retail where I’ve experienced helping people and working in a team etc, but I’m assuming most unis wouldn’t count this as an experience for transferable skills. I’m going to resign from the job soon to focus on studies and pick up some volunteering too, but I was wondering if you thought my part time job was of any use at all in mentioning in interviews if they do ask me a ‘tell me a time when’ sort of question.

Why wouldn’t they count this? A transferable skill is a transferable skill. The ability to show up on time, follow instructions, acknowledge the business needs of a company or service, and respond accordingly: all things that a lot of medical students have limited experience of.

My advice on the volunteering? Don’t overthink it. Approach your primary school, see if they need any help with doing volunteering for reading in the younger years. They’ll probably bite your hand off for this. You’ll get some experience working with children out of that and you’ll be contributing to care needs and getting an understanding of safeguarding etc. Likewise, care homes will probably be delighted to have you.
Care homes or charity work would be your best bet. A lot of people struggle to get real NHS work experience and medical schools know this.

Protip- if you can't find work experience at a big/regional hospital trust then I would instead try politely telephoning the smaller community hospitals instead. They don't do as many things but they are smaller, less intimidating and have smaller more close knit clinical teams

Always complete a work experience diary at the end of every working day. Never record any patient details of any kind, not age, not name, not occupation, not their gender, nothing. Ask plenty of questions, many nurses have been doing their jobs for long periods of time and often have very varied careers and will understand medications and many health conditions in great detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending