The Student Room Group

Controversial songs?

I'm starting my coursework for A2 Communication and Culture and I've chosen to talk about songs that were initially misinterpreted and therefore caused controversy. I have a few obvious ones so far like blurred lines, kim, lucy in the sky with diamonds and smack my ***** up. I'm basically looking to see if controversial song lyrics have the intended impact on the audience. So if you can think of any songs similar to this, it would really help.
I have a few controversial songs suggestions:
-the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen" was controversial when it came out (1977) and banned on the BBC
-definitely Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday
-Suicide Solution by Ozzy Osbourne
-Kim by Eminem
-maybe Lola by the Kinks
Reply 2
Puff, the Magic Dragon...

Early 60's...

Was taught/sung in little person schools...

Little innocent kids, seemingly singing about drugs amigo:colondollar:
Ding dong the witch is dead was in the charts when Thatcher died
Original post by Drez999
Puff, the Magic Dragon...

Early 60's...

Was taught/sung in little person schools...

Little innocent kids, seemingly singing about drugs amigo:colondollar:

Damn those little people were in for a treat😂
Original post by blackdiamond97
Ding dong the witch is dead was in the charts when Thatcher died

Oh yeah, wouldn't have thought of that, thank you
Original post by clockwork_orange
I have a few controversial songs suggestions:
-the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen" was controversial when it came out (1977) and banned on the BBC
-definitely Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday
-Suicide Solution by Ozzy Osbourne
-Kim by Eminem
-maybe Lola by the Kinks

Just had a look at some of these, I think they'll work quite well thank you☺
Stan - Eminem

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Pretty much the entirity of Eminem's first two commercial albums.
The video for Born Free by MIA caused a lot of drama and got pulled from Youtube the day it was posted.

[video="vimeo;11219730"]https://vimeo.com/11219730[/video]
Busta Rhymes - Arab Money
Original post by IllogicalWaffle
I'm starting my coursework for A2 Communication and Culture and I've chosen to talk about songs that were initially misinterpreted and therefore caused controversy. I have a few obvious ones so far like blurred lines, kim, lucy in the sky with diamonds and smack my ***** up. I'm basically looking to see if controversial song lyrics have the intended impact on the audience. So if you can think of any songs similar to this, it would really help.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds wasn't "misinterpreted"; it was a song about LSD.

Your message is all over the place. Are you asking after songs that were wrongly seen as provocative or ones that rightly were?

Two of my karaoke standards couldn't be published today: my sharona* and mellow yellow**

Relax (FGTH) and Give Ireland Back to the Irish (Paul McCartney) were number one records banned from airplay. That former getting to number precisely because of interest generated by the ban.

*never gonna stop/ give it up/such a dirty mind/ I always get it up/ for the touch/ of the younger kind
** I'm just mad about fourteen/ fourteen's mad about me/ I'm just mad about fourteen/she's just mad about me
I don't know about misinterpreted, but try the second verse of the French National Anthem.

Quick Reply

Latest