The Student Room Group

UK CEOs 'earn 386 times more than workers on national living wage'

Scroll to see replies

I honestly hate that people can even think that such insane pay gaps are justified. People don't realize that waste collectors & cleaners work in very bad conditions and have some of the worst jobs that exist. Nobody would enjoy cleaning dirty toilets and the like, or emptying bins that smell nasty, yet they get paid the lowest wages possible when they do something that many people couldn't bring themselves to do.

Aside from this, there are over a million people on the NLW. Try to afford rent, food and all your bills on NLW and see how you manage. You probably won't have any money to spend on luxuries. One of my favourite quotes:

"When the entirety of your earnings are exhausted on food and shelter, your labors are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the real world, that's called slavery."
Original post by Danny Dorito
The Equality Trust have published some analysis that illustrates that the average FTSE chief executive earns 386 times more than a worker who earns the national living wage!

Reports from 2015 indicate that CEOs of companies in FTSE 100 earn on average £5.3m each year, compares with £13,662 for some who live on the national living wage.

This has prompted Equality Trust to call on the government to force firms to report pay gap between the highest paid and average employee.

Read more here

Do you think this is fair? What could be done to tackle this gap? Do you think there will always be a gap between the rich and the poor?

The focus should not be on the gap.
It should be on standard of living for the poor and real wage growth.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zero766
I honestly hate that people can even think that such insane pay gaps are justified. People don't realize that waste collectors & cleaners work in very bad conditions and have some of the worst jobs that exist. Nobody would enjoy cleaning dirty toilets and the like, or emptying bins that smell nasty, yet they get paid the lowest wages possible when they do something that many people couldn't bring themselves to do.

Aside from this, there are over a million people on the NLW. Try to afford rent, food and all your bills on NLW and see how you manage. You probably won't have any money to spend on luxuries. One of my favourite quotes:

"When the entirety of your earnings are exhausted on food and shelter, your labors are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the real world, that's called slavery."

You don't make the poor richer by making the rich less rich. It is not about the gap. You don't create wealth or opportunity that way.
I hate people like you who only focus on the gap and would rather the poor were poorer provided the rich were less rich.
It's absurd but in reality makes little difference to the average worker. If you reduced a CEO's and the other board member's wage by 3/4 and divided it up between the workforce(likely numbering in at least the 1000's if not 10000's ) it would be barely noticeable.
Original post by fleky6910
You don't make the poor richer by making the rich less rich. It is not about the gap. You don't create wealth or opportunity that way.
I hate people like you who only focus on the gap and would rather the poor were poorer provided the rich were less rich.

I don't ever recall saying that we should make the poor even poorer. God no, that's the last thing I'd recommend. What we must do is create more equality and less of a gap. It's disgusting how we're all humans, nobody has special powers and nobody is invincible, we all come by birth and will leave by death. Yet we still let people live in completely different conditions, providing luxury for one and have another being homeless. We need to make the gap smaller. I.e. make the poor richer and bring down the absurd salaries of big CEOs.

Look at Warren Buffett, his net worth was billions upon billions. No person ever needs that kind of money. It gets stashed away in a bank account and never used while we have people dying everyday who can't even afford a breakfast. Warren donated a huge portion of his savings to Bill Gates' charity dedicated to eradicating poverty, which shows there is still hope. But still today, there is 1% of the world's population holding 90% of the wealth.

There was recently a benefits program on Channel 5 called "The Big Benefits Handout"; I recommend you watch it. The show focuses around three families being given £26,000 on the condition that they will sign off all benefits. One of the families bought exotic animals/reptiles to use at children's parties. The business did very well and they are now opening up a zoo.

It seriously shows you that many people are desperate to contribute to the economy and be successful, but we don't give many people the chance to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh boo hoo. I bet you think you're entitled to some of that money, don't you?

You're paid what you're worth. A CEO creates a serious amount of wealth. They run companies that hire thousands of people and drive the economy. And they worked their assess off to get where they are. They can take home what pay they bloody well choose to, in my opinion.
Reply 26
this is only a problem to communists and jealous people
Original post by zero766
I don't ever recall saying that we should make the poor even poorer. God no, that's the last thing I'd recommend. What we must do is create more equality and less of a gap. It's disgusting how we're all humans, nobody has special powers and nobody is invincible, we all come by birth and will leave by death. Yet we can still let people live in completely different conditions, providing luxury for one and have another being homeless. We need to make the gap smaller. I.e. make the poor richer and bring down the absurd salaries of big CEOs. Look at Warren Buffett, his net worth was billions upon billions. No person ever needs that kind of money. It gets stashed away in a bank account and never used while we have people dying everyday who can't even afford a breakfast. Warren donated a huge portion of his savings to Bill Gates' charity dedicated to eradicating poverty, which shows there is still hope. But still today, there is 1% of the world's population holding 90% of the wealth.

Your arguments are awful , your only focuses on the gap, you are only focused on those at the top. You don't care about the poor, you only care if the rich are less rich. You would rather have a smaller piece of a bigger pie. "No person needs that kind of money", he earnt , its not your right to have it or to take it. Warren buffet learnt it.
Seems like you hate success. It doesn't matter how much the rich hold but on the progress of the bottom.

Its about real wage growth and the standard of living at the bottom.

Your arguments are frankly awful , I would rather have less living in poverty and a greater gap , you would rather have the reverse.

Images may be subject to copyright.Send feedback

The truth comes out, you have proved my point , you would rather the poorer were poorer provided the rich were less rich.

I'll give you an example, the free market reforms in Chile lifted many many people out of poverty but increased inequality.

It seems you are only focused on the gap and jealousy instead of caring for the poor.

You don't make the poor richer by making the rich less rich.

The fact is if me and you saw the same house. I would say "Why can't everyone live like that" and you would say " No one should be able to live like that"
Original post by Dandaman1
Oh boo hoo. I bet you think you're entitled to some of that money, don't you?

You're paid what you're worth. A CEO creates a serious amount of wealth. They run companies that hire thousands of people and drive the economy. And they worked their assess off to get where they are. They can take home what pay they bloody well choose to, in my opinion.

You are everything wrong with this world. All greed and about what you can get for yourself. Do you not think we would prosper if we helped our own people to succeed?
Reply 29
Your arguments are awful , your only focuses on the gap, you are only focused on those at the top. You don't care about the poor, you only care if the rich are less rich. You would rather have a smaller piece of a bigger pie. "No person needs that kind of money", he earnt , its not your right to have it or to take it. Warren buffet learnt it.
Seems like you hate success. It doesn't matter how much the rich hold but on the progress of the bottom.

Its about real wage growth and the standard of living at the bottom.

Your arguments are frankly awful , I would rather have less living in poverty and a greater gap , you would rather have the reverse.

Images may be subject to copyright.Send feedback

The truth comes out, you have proved my point , you would rather the poorer were poorer provided the rich were less rich.

I'll give you an example, the free market reforms in Chile lifted many many people out of poverty but increased inequality.

It seems you are only focused on the gap and jealousy instead of caring for the poor.

You don't make the poor richer by making the rich less rich.

The fact is if me and you saw the same house. I would say "Why can't everyone live like that" and you would say " No one should be able to live like that"

you also should also mention that the rich pay a massive amount of tax compared to the poor, therefore the poor pay less tax
Original post by lmao103
you also should also mention that the rich pay a massive amount of tax compared to the poor, therefore the poor pay less tax

Precisely, they contribute more to society and actually I think this individual should learn some simple economics.
He should look up the laffer curve and see that Regans and Thatchers tax cut raised revenue ( same for Osborne).
It may be seen with Trump corporation tax cuts but we will have to wait and see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zero766
You are everything wrong with this world. All greed and about what you can get for yourself. Do you not think we would prosper if we helped our own people to succeed?

I am going to quote Milton Friedman here:

The world runs on individuals pursuing their separate interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn’t construct his theory under order from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn’t revolutionize the automobile industry that way. In the only cases in which the masses have escaped from the kind of grinding poverty you’re talking about, the only cases in recorded history, are where they have had capitalism and largely free trade. If you want to know where the masses are worse off, worst off, it’s exactly in the kinds of societies that depart from that. So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear, that there is no alternative way so far discovered of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by the free-enterprise system.”
If you're going to have a debate with me, pick at my arguments. Don't just decide to fabricate what you want me to have said just so it can fit your response. I said the rich should be less rich, and the poor should be richer. I'm about lifting everybody's living standards. To do that though, we need fairer laws. Very very few wealthy individuals are self-made. Most of the time they've inherited wealth. It's like a few centuries ago, very very rarely would a peasant become a nobleman. It's easier to turn £10 million into £100 million than £100,000 into £1 million. Look at Donald Trump. His father gave him £1 million to help him succeed and he's now a billionaire. Would he have made those billions if he was starting from scratch like everybody else? Most people would say not.
Reply 33
Original post by zero766
If you're going to have a debate with me, pick at my arguments. Don't just decide to fabricate what you want me to have said just so it can fit your response. I said the rich should be less rich, and the poor should be richer. I'm about lifting everybody's living standards. To do that though, we need fairer laws. Very very few wealthy individuals are self-made. Most of the time they've inherited wealth. It's like a few centuries ago, very very rarely would a peasant become a nobleman. It's easier to turn £10 million into £100 million than £100,000 into £1 million. Look at Donald Trump. His father gave him £1 million to help him succeed and he's now a billionaire. Would he have made those billions if he was starting from scratch like everybody else? Most people would say not.

why should they be less rich? if people are poor then they should start a business and get rich, but most people are too lazy so they dont
Original post by zero766

I guess your referring to me, please actually adress my points.
You so far have addressed 0.
You clearly need to get your facts straight.
Most millionaires are self made.( I accept there are some who aren't )
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269593
http://www.thomasjstanley.com/2014/05/america-where-millionaires-are-self-made/
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/most-millionaires-self-made--study-says-14565.html

Respond to my points about Chile. the laffer curve and the rest.
I want everybody to be richer. Thats the difference in our attitudes. You are only worried about the gap.
Please pick at my points because you haven't done so yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lmao103
why should they be less rich? if people are poor then they should start a business and get rich, but most people are too lazy so they dont

Be careful with those arguments, don't use the lazy one or you will dig yourself a hole. The rest are fine however. I await his response to the rest of my other points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lmao103

If I want to start a business I need a few thousand to get started. Most people don't have that kind of money lying around. Please tell me how a country benefits from a rich CEO paying minimum wage to his employees (therefore the employees are paying way lower tax than if they had higher salaries), a CEO who is participating in a tax avoidance scheme and then storing his wealth in a bank account which is unlikely to ever be needed and/or spent. These greedy people are draining our economy.

We cannot succeed alone. Until we get this idea that we're all against each other out of our minds, then humanity is restricted as to what it can achieve.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not going to argue forever but here is something which strengthens my argument immensely:
[video="youtube;dGiQaabX3_o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiQaabX3_o[/video]

We've tried this idea of screwing everybody else for our own gain for many thousands of years, many different ages etc. What we've seen is that greed does not lead anywhere. Only until humans started to work together did we become so advanced. We're now backtracking from this progress with the rise of capitalism. Not wise at all.
Original post by zero766

We're now backtracking from this progress with the rise of capitalism. Not wise at all.

That is why we have seen a rise in living standard for all and advances in technology,
You are one of the worst debaters I have seen as you are yet to address any of my points, you only cherry pick which points to respond to and give vague responses
Your arguments for awful, you didn't address even one of my points.

> Makes no points besides showing a graph which hasn't been proven as true
> I link a video which invalidates his support for capitalism
> Tells me my arguments are awful, doesn't watch the video and dismisses my response

No point in this argument anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending