The Student Room Group

How to earn money and live independently

Hi,
I’m a 20 year old woman who has just got her first job- I was in uni before and just lived off my student loan-

Anyway, I will be working 20 hrs a week and earn £200 for the first job I have and need hours confirmed by the second job but could work 8/ 10 hrs there and earn between £87-£109. Im living with my parents atm because I dropped out of uni- they only charge £20 a week and £20 a month for fuel so I only pay them £100 a month atm. I pay about £40 for my phone, so my outgoings are rather low atm so I can save up.

I have only just realised the cost of everything in life- it sounds silly but I have been immature not realising the amount of things you pay for. But I’m starting to worry I’ll never be able to afford to live on my own or afford nice things. I want to go back to uni but worry my creative degree will be useless (set/ theatre design)- and I’ll end up working dead end jobs but I really want a career.

Overall tho, I’m really anxious about the future with earning money. My sisters are married and their husbands earn £40k plus and they’re early 30s- neither of my sisters could afford to live alone. I don’t want to depend on a partner for money (partly because I’m not really bothered about relationships) but yeah- does anyone have monetary advice for someone who wants to live independently?
To live independently you will need to find a full time job that pays more than just minimum wage. To pay rent, bills, run a car etc will be unaffordable till that is sorted.
Reply 2
Original post by EVMD17
Hi,
I’m a 20 year old woman who has just got her first job- I was in uni before and just lived off my student loan-

Anyway, I will be working 20 hrs a week and earn £200 for the first job I have and need hours confirmed by the second job but could work 8/ 10 hrs there and earn between £87-£109. Im living with my parents atm because I dropped out of uni- they only charge £20 a week and £20 a month for fuel so I only pay them £100 a month atm. I pay about £40 for my phone, so my outgoings are rather low atm so I can save up.

I have only just realised the cost of everything in life- it sounds silly but I have been immature not realising the amount of things you pay for. But I’m starting to worry I’ll never be able to afford to live on my own or afford nice things. I want to go back to uni but worry my creative degree will be useless (set/ theatre design)- and I’ll end up working dead end jobs but I really want a career.

Overall tho, I’m really anxious about the future with earning money. My sisters are married and their husbands earn £40k plus and they’re early 30s- neither of my sisters could afford to live alone. I don’t want to depend on a partner for money (partly because I’m not really bothered about relationships) but yeah- does anyone have monetary advice for someone who wants to live independently?

Welcome to the real world :smile:

Firstly, I think you need to start thinking very seriously about the end goal in all of this as your post paints a picture of someone who is all over the place. You want to go back to uni and do theatre but you also want a career but you also live at home etc etc.

So, take some time to just get by. Give yourself plenty of time. You are safe right now and finding your way, but keep thinking about what you want to do in the medium term - next 10 years perhaps. When you have figured that out, you can then decide if you need to go back to uni or not. However, some things to reassure you moneywise.

You are only working 20 hours a week. This is half a normal working week. Most full time jobs work between 35 and 40 hours per week so even at minimum wage, that works out at around £20 - £21k a year. There are many jobs that pay slightly higher than that and will pay between £25 - £28k that are very much achievable for most people with a brain and basic personality. This will pay you £1750 after tax but before deductions each month on £25k. Not bad eh especially if you are living at home.

My final point is that you rightly point out that getting into theatre professionally may well be challenging. Sure. Go and get a degree and give it a go, but equally, why pin your hopes on professionalism in this sense. There are a million and 1 amateur dramatic societies of all standards out there and there are jobs within those societies for every aspect of theatre. You don't need a degree to be a part of the exciting world of theatre. You never know, you might get some ins to paid jobs. In the few shows I have performed in, I have met professional actors and backstage workers.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by ReadingMum
To live independently you will need to find a full time job that pays more than just minimum wage. To pay rent, bills, run a car etc will be unaffordable till that is sorted.

yeah, I can’t get something full time atm as I haven’t had any previous work experience. A lot of jobs aren’t really full time either where I live, everyone wants you to work part time
Reply 4
Original post by EVMD17
yeah, I can’t get something full time atm as I haven’t had any previous work experience.

A lot of people haven't had work experience when they apply for jobs! You need to review your CV, put in the transferable skills from what you have done and tailor it to every job.
Reply 5
I would get some careers advice, to help decide what direction you want to go. Perhaps try the Uni careers service if you still have access, otherwise the National Careers Service. Creativity and creative degrees can certainly lead to good jobs. Basically to get what you want you need to find a job you like with some prospects and build your career. Getting a partner you like with some prospects can help too
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
I would get some careers advice, to help decide what direction you want to go. Perhaps try the Uni careers service if you still have access, otherwise the National Careers Service. Creativity and creative degrees can certainly lead to good jobs. Basically to get what you want you need to find a job you like with some prospects and build your career. Getting a partner you like with some prospects can help too

Thank you- that’s a good idea. I’ve been asking family and friends for advice but they don’t have much to say- one friend said “just get any degree” to help get jobs but that’s not what I want- want to do a degree related to a career I would like to pursue :smile:
Reply 7
Higher education is very important for me and if I were you, I would return to the university
Reply 8
Original post by nikiznb
Higher education is very important for me and if I were you, I would return to the university

Can't be that important to you, first time you've mentioned higher education in any of your posts
Reply 9
Original post by EVMD17
but yeah- does anyone have monetary advice for someone who wants to live independently?

As has been said, get a full time job, ideally in a profession with a career ladder. Accountancy if your numerate for example.
Reply 10
It's totally normal to start realizing the costs of adulting once you're out of school. Don't worry; you're not alone in feeling this way. To prepare for independence, budgeting is key. Track your expenses, set aside a portion of your income for savings, and create a financial plan.Your creative degree can lead to a fulfilling career. Explore opportunities in your field and network with professionals. It might take time, but passion can open doors.If you're looking for ways to boost your savings, you could check out this article on how to get $20 fast https://wealthynickel.com/how-to-make-20-dollars-fast/ . Every bit helps, especially when you're aiming for independence.
(edited 7 months ago)
My first few years after moving out when I was on small wage jobs I shared flats with friends, it was massively more affordable to spread costs and getting a place all for myself on those low/min wages just wouldn't have worked, to do any more than merely survive.

Tbh I'm also talking about 20+ years ago, so even then I would have had a more manageable hill to climb in terms of bills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending