The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Maths 2017 - MFP3 Further Pure 3 - Wednesday 17 May [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I don't understand the markscheme for June 2014 Question 8bii)
Could someone tell me what they are doing?
;s
How is everyone feeling for the exam?
Yeah I know what you mean. TBH that's as hard as they'll probably get, unless AQA have evil people setting this year's exam.
I actually did well on 2016 :colondollar: but scraped A*s on 2013, 2014 and 2015 D:
I'm worried about the polar question. I either get it or I don't and under time pressure I think I'll just end up giving up and losing a lot of marks.
Original post by Pentaquark
I actually did well on 2016 :colondollar: but scraped A*s on 2013, 2014 and 2015 D:
I'm worried about the polar question. I either get it or I don't and under time pressure I think I'll just end up giving up and losing a lot of marks.

I couldn't do the polar to Cartesian transformation q and messed up on the hella long differential question at the end. Just made so many silly mistakes, just scraping an A
Original post by OturuDansay
I couldn't do the polar to Cartesian transformation q and messed up on the hella long differential question at the end. Just made so many silly mistakes, just scraping an A

Yeah I've gotten A*s on all of them except the 2016 one where I got a 62 (B), no idea why... the questions on that paper are just weirder I guess, I made a lot of mistakes for no reason lol
Original post by OturuDansay
Did anyone struggle on 2016? Really felt short for time

Yep, fair to say i hated 2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys feel ready for this exam? I feel like I am ready but because it's my first exam so I'm not exactly in the 'exam mindset'. I think you just need to get a decent amount of sleep the night before
do you guys know if we need to quote anything to use sin^n(x)cos(x).dx = sin^(n+1)x/(n+1) + c, or can we just get away with using it straight up
Original post by sadasdasdasd
do you guys know if we need to quote anything to use sin^n(x)cos(x).dx = sin^(n+1)x/(n+1) + c, or can we just get away with using it straight up

On Jun 11 there was an integral of the form sin^2xcosx and to award method mark you can use substitution, or by inspection.
So I'm guessing yes you can go straight up without showing anything.
What do you mean by inspection?
Original post by sadasdasdasd
What do you mean by inspection?

Being to tell immediately that sin2(x)cos(x).dx=13sin3(x)\displaystyle \int \sin^2(x)\cos(x) .dx = \frac{1}{3}\sin^3(x) without working out, just running through a quick substitution in your head to realise that cos(x) would cancel and ultimately you would simply need to integrate u2.duu^2 .du where u=sin(x)u=\sin(x)
Original post by RDKGames
Being to tell immediately that sin2(x)cos(x).dx=13sin3(x)\displaystyle \int \sin^2(x)\cos(x) .dx = \frac{1}{3}\sin^3(x) without working out, just running through a quick substitution in your head to realise that cos(x) would cancel and ultimately you would simply need to integrate u2.duu^2 .du where u=sin(x)u=\sin(x)

Alright cool ty
any predictions?
They tend to use a technique or something in particular in the following paper. For example they asked you to integrate (tanx)^2secx and in the following paper they ask you to integrate something very similar to that. So i would say to make sure you understand everything from the 2016 paper.
Original post by Chickenslayer69
Yeah I've gotten A*s on all of them except the 2016 one where I got a 62 (B), no idea why... the questions on that paper are just weirder I guess, I made a lot of mistakes for no reason lol

My god 62/75 for a B cheers AQA!
Original post by Eddy253
My god 62/75 for a B cheers AQA!

Yeah, it was 64 for an A I think :frown: Main reason this paper is so hard is bc you can make one mistake and literally drop 2 grades because the boundaries are so high and close together
Have a question from June 2012. Given the equation r^2 = 16cosec(2theta) how would you find the minimum value of r? on the mark scheme it just says sin(2theta)=1 when minimum, don't quite understand what they mean..
Original post by YAH_BOY_ASH
Hi, I don't understand the markscheme for June 2014 Question 8bii)
Could someone tell me what they are doing?
;s
How is everyone feeling for the exam?

Yeah, can someone explain this please? Thanks
Have a question from June 2012. Given the equation r^2 = 16cosec(2theta) how would you find the minimum value of r? on the mark scheme it just says sin(2theta)=1 when minimum, don't quite understand what they mean..

r2r^2 is minimised when csc(2θ)\csc(2\theta) is minimised.

csc(2θ)1sin(2θ)\csc(2\theta) \equiv \frac{1}{\sin(2\theta)}

This fraction is minimised when the denominator is as big as possible.

The maximum value the denominator can take is 1.
(edited 6 years ago)

r^2 = 16cosec(2theta) is the same as r^2 = 16(1/sin(2theta)). For this, r^2 or r is a minimum when sin(2theta)=1 since the highest value for sin(2theta) is 1, and anything below it would give a larger value for r^2 or r.

Edit: Just realised someone put the solution, sorry :frown: I'll leave it there anyway
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending