The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Getting a place on an LSE Masters course?

I applied for MSc in Political Theory "but as the programme has reached its quota, are not able to offer you a place." So I've beenput on the programme reserve list, to be informed after 12 August.
I imagine the reserve list is extensive, and the opening up of spaces on the program very rare. So is there any point in waiting around for an offer, or should I just cry and move on to suffer in some 9-5 office job?
Hey, I'm actually in the same position for the same course and feeling exactly the same. I emailed them to ask how many are on the reserve list. When I called before, they said it could be anything from 2 to 10, but I think it's totally reasonable to expect them to give us that number so we'll see. But yeah, seems like there's probably a few on this list...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by moonbrownie
I applied for MSc in Political Theory "but as the programme has reached its quota, are not able to offer you a place." So I've beenput on the programme reserve list, to be informed after 12 August.
I imagine the reserve list is extensive, and the opening up of spaces on the program very rare. So is there any point in waiting around for an offer, or should I just cry and move on to suffer in some 9-5 office job?

Original post by fawltyfan
Hey, I'm actually in the same position for the same course and feeling exactly the same. I emailed them to ask how many are on the reserve list. When I called before, they said it could be anything from 2 to 10, but I think it's totally reasonable to expect them to give us that number so we'll see. But yeah, seems like there's probably a few on this list...

Aah that sucks. From my understanding the course (and most LSE courses), tend to fill up by March. Any reason why you guys didn't apply earlier?

Hopefully, you get offered a place :smile:
I received the same email yesterday. I am in the same position, but I applied for Global Politics. Did you apply for a second choice?

When you emailed them, did you email the department? How long did it take for them to get back to you?
Original post by MagicCookie
When you emailed them, did you email the department? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I've emailed the department's graduate admissions but they haven't got back to me yet. I'll just call them again if they don't get back to me in a few days.
Hello, I am also on the reserve list and I understand the pain. Have you heard from LSE about the number on the list yet? I emailed them many times but got no reply.

I've emailed the department's graduate admissions but they haven't got back to me yet. I'll just call them again if they don't get back to me in a few days.
Original post by annabelle3r
Hello, I am also on the reserve list and I understand the pain. Have you heard from LSE about the number on the list yet? I emailed them many times but got no reply.

They just gave me a vague answer about how it varies depending on how many good apps they receive - I didn't pursue it any further but I might soon.

Are you on the reserve list for this programme in Political Theory specifically?
Reply 8
They just gave me a vague answer about how it varies depending on how many good apps they receive - I didn't pursue it any further but I might soon.

Are you on the reserve list for this programme in Political Theory specifically?

10 days ago I received the notification that I was placed on the reserve list for the MSc Political Economy of Europe. I emailed the admission if any stats from previous years are known so that we actually have some figures to calculate the likehood of getting an acceptance. But she only gave me an copy&paste answer with the definition of reserve list...

It would more interesting whether we can expect to hear something before August. I believe that some offer-receiver from the reserve list will decline for various reasons, so that the process might take 1-2 rounds because they need then again to go through the reserve list in order to get the programme fully booked. it is states that the final decisions are made in mid-august for all applictans, so i assume that some will maybe receive a positive offer before that.

Would be nice if we could share our experiences regarding the number people on the list and whether decisions are beeing made before august. really cant wait for 1.5 months for a response.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,I am not sure if this helps.. but I had been communicating with admissions and received response below:

"Dear Sara,

Thank you for your email. The departments are normally encouraged to make around an extra 10% of the offers that they can make as reserve list offers e.g. if they make 40 offers and there are no more spaces left, they then can make 4 reserve list offers. The decision to activate the reserve lists will be taken in August school wide and last year the reserve lists were not activated, but the reserve list applicants were given an opportunity to reinstate the application for the following year."
Reply 10
Original post by s_clare8
Hi,I am not sure if this helps.. but I had been communicating with admissions and received response below:

"Dear Sara,

Thank you for your email. The departments are normally encouraged to make around an extra 10% of the offers that they can make as reserve list offers e.g. if they make 40 offers and there are no more spaces left, they then can make 4 reserve list offers. The decision to activate the reserve lists will be taken in August school wide and last year the reserve lists were not activated, but the reserve list applicants were given an opportunity to reinstate the application for the following year."

Well thanks for that! Do you mind sharing your MSc programme? So across all MSc programmes and departments, no one received an offer last year? Or was this one to one particular department? Looking very gloomy.
Original post by tbo1991
Well thanks for that! Do you mind sharing your MSc programme? So across all MSc programmes and departments, no one received an offer last year? Or was this one to one particular department? Looking very gloomy.

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. I am not sure if it was the case across all departments.
I applied for MSC in Media, Communication and Development.

It doesn't look great, no.
Reply 12
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for Msc Human Resource Management course and I'm wondering about the part time mode of study. Does anyone know if there's the same amount of spaces for both part and full time? I don't want to lower my chances. It has three different streams and i am not sure if I should apply for my preferred stream both part and full time or for two different streams the same mode of study?

Thanks xxx
Hi all, I was informed that I didnt get off the reserve list. I will be reinstating my application for 2018. I had applied for the MSc in Media Communication and Development. I hope you all had better luck :smile:Sara
Original post by s_clare8
Hi all, I was informed that I didnt get off the reserve list. I will be reinstating my application for 2018. I had applied for the MSc in Media Communication and Development. I hope you all had better luck :smile:Sara

Hi Sara,
May I ask if you got a place after reinstating your application to LSE the following year? I find myself in the same situation than you this year and now it's either choosing to study at another university or to wait another year before starting my masters...
Reply 15
Original post by username3901032
Hi Sara,
May I ask if you got a place after reinstating your application to LSE the following year? I find myself in the same situation than you this year and now it's either choosing to study at another university or to wait another year before starting my masters...

Hi there,

Just so you know I was in the same boat as Sara, and reinstated and received an offer for this year :smile:
Reply 16
Hi, i was wondering if you reinstated your application with any changes?

Original post by Franas
Hi there,

Just so you know I was in the same boat as Sara, and reinstated and received an offer for this year :smile:
Original post by Franas
Hi there,

I'm also wondering if you made any further changes to your application as I'm in the same boat as of yesterday!
Reply 18
Original post by AshSin
Hi, i was wondering if you reinstated your application with any changes?

Hi there, I added my most recent work experience and just general editing, but other than that no. Just make sure you update it so your CV is as current as possible, a final amendment of your application statement and it should be good to go!
Original post by username3901032
Hi Sara,

Hello!

So this is two years old so I hope this is helpful to someone. Yes! I got a place and I graduated with Distinction in 2019! If LSE is your first choice I would defo suggest reinstating if you did not get in the first time around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending