The Student Room Group

doctorate in economics without undergrad economics?

right- im writing purely out of curiosity

lets say someone did politics, or politics and philosophy, or politics and history- or something related to politics

LSE has a Political Economy MSC- the person with politics would be able to get onto that- right?

LSE also has a Mres/PHD in economics (again- ive tried economics, and prefer my different field, but im curious)- could they, with their unrelated degree, but related masters (provided a decent background in maths- I.E. As in A level maths/furhter maths)- get a PHD/MRES (which i think is
a doctorate) in economics- they say for their requirements:
"An upper second class honours (2:1) degree (or equivalent) in any field. Some preparation in economics, a strong mathematics background and evidence of research potential are essential. The goal of the MRes/PhD Economics is to train first class researchers. We will use all available information to assess research potential."

similarly, UCL only seems to say "masters in economics or closely related subject"_ so if someone does political economy MSC, they'd be able to do a doctorate?

so in theory- could someone go from politics- an unrelated field to economics- to economics via masters/doctorate:
1. can they do this?
2. would they be able to work in stuff like banking/finance- or could they only work in academia/governmental stuff
3. would this be possible/achievable

(i am not doing politics/any of the mentioned areas of study above/i do not go to the LSE- my friend is just looking at the requirements- and i was curious when it said "any field"- i thought "quanititive degree" when i saw "strong background in maths"- but then they wouldnt say "any", they'd say "any quantitive degree"- if this the case- could one go on to do stuff like banking with this really good doctorate- despite lacking a relevant degree= i know Oxford/Cambridge want Economics degree, masters, specifically to do a doctorate- so why doesnt the LSE?)
Reply 1
Well an MRes is a masters and not a doctoral level qualification.

A Level further maths is inadequate for most econ masters in the UK. The advanced maths you'd pick up in an econ degree dwarves that, so for a masters worth its salt an A Level will not be enough.

LSE will want mathematicians and statisticians, not politicians.

I say this as an academic in a highly regarded Econ Dept.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by gjd800

A Level further maths is inadequate for most econ masters in the UK. The advanced maths you'd pick up in an econ degree dwarves that, so for a masters worth its salt an A Level will not be enough.

so realistically you'd need a STEM undergrad?
Reply 3
Original post by Burneroftheyear
so realistically you'd need a STEM undergrad?

Usually. There are outliers but in my experience they are quite rare
Original post by gjd800

(whats an Econ Dept)
also- did you do an Undergrad in economonics?
Reply 5
Lots of well known academic economists in America did maths at undergrad.
Reply 6
(whats an Econ Dept)
also- did you do an Undergrad in economonics?

Economics Department.

No, all of my degrees are in Philosophy, but I am peripherally attached to an Econ Dept and whilst my students pretty much all are Econ students, my research is mostly in philosophy. I do teach a bit in Econ but it is in philosophy-heavy units.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Lots of well known academic economists in America did maths at undergrad.

Yes, it is the same here.
Original post by gjd800
Economics Department.

No, all of my degrees are in Philosophy, but I am peripherally attached to an Econ Dept and whilst my students pretty much all are Econ students, my research is mostly in philosophy. I do teach a bit in Econ but it is in philosophy-heavy units.

i see
if you did PPE- could you do a doctorate in economics?
Reply 9
i see
if you did PPE- could you do a doctorate in economics?

Depends on the mathematical content of the degree programme and the subsequent masters.
Original post by gjd800
Depends on the mathematical content of the degree programme and the subsequent masters.

wow= so not even PPE is necessarily enough by itself
Reply 11
wow= so not even PPE is necessarily enough by itself

Some PPE degrees are heavily quantitative, but most are not. As I say, it depends
Original post by gjd800
Some PPE degrees are heavily quantitative, but most are not. As I say, it depends

so realistically- its pure economics or maths?
Reply 13
so realistically- its pure economics or maths?

Usually. Even the 'theorists' who do the philosophy-based stuff will need a background in this. Some places will be ok for theorists to be less mathematical but places like LSE will not.
Original post by gjd800
Usually. Even the 'theorists' who do the philosophy-based stuff will need a background in this. Some places will be ok for theorists to be less mathematical but places like LSE will not.

what about UCL?
Reply 15
what about UCL?

Generally the same as LSE in terms of what they look for, at least in my experience of sending off undergraduates to postgrad courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending