The Student Room Group

Masters in Economics

I am currently a second year economics student at a mid tier university and was told by my tutor to look for a masters degree if I wanted to be an economist. So what courses and universities would you recommend and also what do these universities require you to have (such as grades and activities)
LSE
Original post by ALEXDASNIPER
I am currently a second year economics student at a mid tier university and was told by my tutor to look for a masters degree if I wanted to be an economist. So what courses and universities would you recommend and also what do these universities require you to have (such as grades and activities)

Whether you should do a master's, what course you should do, and where you should apply to, largely depend on your career goals and what you actually want to get out of a master's. Without this, and info on grades/academic experience/work experience/etc, it's hard to give much tailored advice
Reply 3
Original post by BenRyan99
Whether you should do a master's, what course you should do, and where you should apply to, largely depend on your career goals and what you actually want to get out of a master's. Without this, and info on grades/academic experience/work experience/etc, it's hard to give much tailored advice

Hello Ben
In the future I want to work as an economist either with the government or possibly the United Nations
In terms of grades I am expected a first in BSC economics at a mid tier university For a Levels I achieved A* A B and at gcse level I achieved 9 8888877665
As for work experience I have no relevant work experience but do have a job as a security guard on the weekend and have volunteered many times at my local centre
I asked about taking a masters in economics as I wanted to see whether it was relevant for my career goals and if it is which university should I take it at.
I am also looking for insight at what the top universities require and what I should in the term short to increase my chances of getting in the short run.
Original post by ALEXDASNIPER
Hello Ben
In the future I want to work as an economist either with the government or possibly the United Nations
In terms of grades I am expected a first in BSC economics at a mid tier university For a Levels I achieved A* A B and at gcse level I achieved 9 8888877665
As for work experience I have no relevant work experience but do have a job as a security guard on the weekend and have volunteered many times at my local centre
I asked about taking a masters in economics as I wanted to see whether it was relevant for my career goals and if it is which university should I take it at.
I am also looking for insight at what the top universities require and what I should in the term short to increase my chances of getting in the short run.

So I think the first thing to note is that you don't need a master's to become a government economist. The Government Economic Services' requirements are a 2.1 in an undergraduate degree where economics makes up at least 50% of the modules. In fact, often if you work as a graduate economist for the government for a year or two, they'll actually provide the funding for you to do a master's if you want.

For the UN specifically, I'm not sure. Most UK economists who work for those sort of international organization either come from academia or via getting seconded from government departments and central banks. But the UN is typically a less popular destination for economists compared to places like the IMF or BIS for various reasons.

In terms of how to get into a top UK MSc Economics course, generally it's a lot easier than for undergrad. But really you just need a high 2.1 or ideally a first, strong grades in quantitative subjects, and some research experience (whether that be a good dissertation or spending a summer as an RA or something).

At postgrad level, normally the top unis are LSE, Oxford, UCL, Cambridge, Warwick and LBS. Then mid tier ones are places like Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by BenRyan99
So I think the first thing to note is that you don't need a master's to become a government economist. The Government Economic Services' requirements are a 2.1 in an undergraduate degree where economics makes up at least 50% of the modules. In fact, often if you work as a graduate economist for the government for a year or two, they'll actually provide the funding for you to do a master's if you want.

For the UN specifically, I'm not sure. Most UK economists who work for those sort of international organization either come from academia or via getting seconded from government departments and central banks. But the UN is typically a less popular destination for economists compared to places like the IMF or BIS for various reasons.

In terms of how to get into a top UK MSc Economics course, generally it's a lot easier than for undergrad. But really you just need a high 2.1 or ideally a first, strong grades in quantitative subjects, and some research experience (whether that be a good dissertation or spending a summer as an RA or something).

At postgrad level, normally the top unis are LSE, Oxford, UCL, Cambridge, Warwick and LBS. Then mid tier ones are places like Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Manchester, etc.

Thank you very much Ben for answering my questions. I will take your advice and try to find some research experience and will work hard towards getting a 2:1 for the ges.
One more question Does a masters open more doors when compared to a undergraduate and if they do which university do employers respect more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending