The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is KCL worth it??

Hi everyone, I'm studying international relations (undergrad) next year and I've got offers from Warwick and KCL (and rejected after the interview at Cambridge), and I'm still waiting on Bristol and LSE. The problem is I'm not sure I'll get into LSE because I only cited one book in my PS and everyone has decidedly cited/talked about more, so I'm trying to make my peace with it. The problem is I'm an international student and fees are very expensive.

My parents really want me to go to KCL and seem ready to pay. I know we'll manage to afford tuition (though it'll make a significant dent in our finances), but I wouldn't feel right making my parents pay if the school wasn't worth it, and from being on forums here a while, it seems KCL isn't held in the highest esteem. I was also unconditionally accepted to the dutch uni Leiden, much more affordable and also pretty respectable, though I think a lot less reputable than KCL.

I'm a little at a loss on what to do here, I'd love to study in London at KCL but I'm just not sure if it's worth it. I want to know I'll be able to get a masters/job (of course provided I work hard) after my undergrad, and I don't want my parents' investment in my future and education to be a waste. My goals are to work in an international relations career in either the US or the UK so that's also a factor I need to consider.

Any advice?
Netherlands has an extremist prime minister coming in and Leiden is 100 ranks below on QS (which probs matters if you specifically want to work in International Relations, which I think is one of the most competitive careers pathways).

I would pick between KCL and LSE.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Why not go to Warwick? Significantly better university and it will be less expensive. Only downside is that KCL tends to have a better international reputation, but within the UK Warwick is definitely considered to be better.

I have offers from KCL and Warwick too, and it's a no-brainer for me to pick Warwick. What gives?
KCL is far more impressive internationally, and Warwick really only puts you at an advantage in terms of finance/IB. KCL generally is on-par, or better with humanities and social sciences, and IR is a top course at KCL. Warwick is also a dead place for an international.
Well yeah I know that. But @Serena3333 has applied for International Relations, which is not Law. Unless the plan is to do a conversion course and become a lawyer, Warwick would be better for general business/finance careers.
If I was interested in a career in international relations, then I’d pick KCL over Warwick. Being in London means you can do things like attend events at chatham house and similar places and the networking/volunteer/internship opportunities will be much better.

I did my master’s at KCL and have to say I was disappointed (i did education, policy, and society) and its teaching is generally not as good as it’s standing. I’d go to LSE over KCL for IR as they have incredible expertise. Having said that, standing is important if your priority is job/master’s.

If you don’t get into LSE, then another option is to try and get relevant employment and consider a gap year and see if you can get into Cambs or LSE second time round.

Either way, good luck.
LSE teaching has not been great for me at all, and my friends' experiences has been the same.
Original post by Anonymous #5
LSE teaching has not been great for me at all, and my friends' experiences has been the same.
Ah sorry to hear. My wife did her undergrad at LSE and said the IR lectures were incredible l.
Original post by Anonymous #4
Ah sorry to hear. My wife did her undergrad at LSE and said the IR lectures were incredible l.
I've heard a wide range of things about LSE too. I think it's like many other universities, in the sense that the quality of teaching you get depends entirely on specific lecuturers/teaching assistants.
I am a final year IR student at King's. First and foremost, King's has the department of War Studies which has a world wide reputation. Some of the best scholars in the field teaches our modules and the support provided has been excellent. I have friends in LSE who complain how 'theoretical' the course matter is. If you want to do something related to IR, go to King's. The networks and opportunities are amazing. Most of my coursemates have either secured a masters offer at Oxbridge or Sciences Po while the others have a well-paying job. (this might be a biased perspective but I have had this discussion with few people over the years and they all agree that King's is one of the best in UK and Europe for IR)
I do IR at kcl and it’s good, teaching isn’t always amazing but it’s a very reputable department for IR and war studies.

Quick Reply

Latest