The Student Room Group

GCSE STUDENTS - Share your revision tips!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AAgada
I am going to be doing past papers and then once I have marked them, making a 'cheat sheet' based on things I got wrong and examiners reports.My main source of revision is mind maps and notes and I will be doing some flashcards for my geography case studies and memrise /quizlet for German vocab.

The 'cheat sheet' sounds like a great idea! Also it's great to see you using a few different resources for revision - that way you're less likely to get bored :tongue: Thanks for sharing these!
Ok like literally so frustrated I have used ALL the study methods and none works for me :frown:
Any help or advice?
Original post by stardustsoul
Ok like literally so frustrated I have used ALL the study methods and none works for me :frown:
Any help or advice?

Sorry to hear about this. :frown: I find it's really important that you take breaks. Stress often makes me extremely forgetful and that's never a good combination when we need to remember things. Make sure that you're taking breaks. I find that completing past papers (if you don't have a lot for your subjects, spread them out and don't be afraid to do the same ones more than once!) is the best way for me.

Have a read of your specs, go over the topics it speaks about with your notes, make sure that you're clear on everything. If you're not, write down what you need to know until you can remember what it is. That's what I do!

Best of luck!!
Original post by Gabzinc
Everyone mentions the truism that you should "use past papers and mark schemes blah blah", but everyone fails to mention examiner reports. Yes, there is nothing to revise from examiner reports, and they won't score you extra marks in the exam alone, but if you have spare time they are definitely worth the read. They tell you which areas students struggle on (which hints at good areas to revise on - who knows? it may end up being a 6 marker next year?), and they mention common mistakes students make, which is great seeing as it makes those same mistakes much easier to avoid.

Are there examiner reports for the new english specification.
Languages - Memrise has been a lifesaver in terms of vocab, and then i do casual revision (no textbooks!) with films, tv, magazines, games, websites and practically everything in german.
Original post by labrador716
Languages - Memrise has been a lifesaver in terms of vocab, and then i do casual revision (no textbooks!) with films, tv, magazines, games, websites and practically everything in german.

I also used Memrise to learn my German vocab as the AQA list was on there! It was a lot better than just reading through the list and learning that way, as it was more fun. Immersion is a great way to better learn a language - great tips here! :h:
Well...I have three days left of the holiday with almost nothing to show thanks to hardcore procrastination and working wifi :colonhash:
Original post by Faloodeh
Lmao someone help me im doing triple and my worst science is physics.

I know past papers, but other than that? I find that cgp guides are kind of crap (for me)

Go online and find like power points of either topics or subjects you need to revise and make notes from the PowerPoint, cgp doesn't really work for me either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiamhM1801

The GCSE Revision Tip Exchange Thread!

a14cab5a3f5402daa8014fe1340f3cb0.png

So, for most of you I'm sure it feels like everyone (be it your teachers, parents, friends, the countdown on your phone...) seems to be talking about just one thing - your exams.

There's no point sugarcoating it - they are getting closer and closer. However there's no need to panic - exam season is still a few weeks away, and now that it's the long Easter holiday you've got a lot more time on your hands to knuckle down and get those grades!

A common problem among GCSE students is that you have all the resources you need, but you don't know how to revise - after all, for most of you these are the first set of external exams you'll be sitting!

This is where this thread can come in and help you. If you're a current GCSE student, or you've already got them under your belt, share how you revised!

I'll kick things off:

Discover your learning style - quizzes such as this one can be really usful. Your results will tell you whether you're a more visual, auditory or kinaesthetic (tactile) learner, and from this you can adapt your revision techniques to include what works best for you.

Past papers are a must - however don't do loads of these before you've revised the content! They're a great way of pointing out where your weaknesses lie so you can go back and strengthen them before the real thing.

Find a way of condensing your notes - just flicking through a revision guide isn't going to get you those top grades, revision needs to be proactive. Whether it be making mind-maps, flashcards, detailed notes, teaching your pet - anything that gets you to use your knowledge is effective revision.

Do these tips work for you? Do you have others you'd like to share? Any slightly strange, but useful methods of getting information to stick? I want to hear them all! :biggrin:

Lastly, good luck for your exams everyone :h:

Hi,

I find flashcards helpful and when studying a language. I also listen to songs that are on youtube to do with the vocabulary.
Original post by Chatterbot
Hi,

I find flashcards helpful and when studying a language. I also listen to songs that are on youtube to do with the vocabulary.

A lot of flashcard lovers here! Great tips :h:
Procrastinate so much until there is barely any time left and you are forced to do work. That will probably kick in in a few weeks.
Lmao someone help me im doing triple and my worst science is physics.

I know past papers, but other than that? I find that cgp guides are kind of crap (for me)

What exam board do you do?
Original post by curiousclouds
What exam board do you do?

AQA
AQA

The nelson thornes revision guides are much better and don't have as much in them as they tell you only what you need to know. I have one for all 3 sciences, but it helps better for some than others and I only revise by reading.
Original post by airportsh8me
Well...I have three days left of the holiday with almost nothing to show thanks to hardcore procrastination and working wifi :colonhash:

Three days are better than none! You can still get some decent work done in them! :rave:
Original post by pizza4ever
Procrastinate so much until there is barely any time left and you are forced to do work. That will probably kick in in a few weeks.

I did this at GCSE - would not recommend! :colondollar:
Original post by pizza4ever
The nelson thornes revision guides are much better and don't have as much in them as they tell you only what you need to know. I have one for all 3 sciences, but it helps better for some than others and I only revise by reading.

bless you
For most subjects I use the Scribble Technique..

1) Open your textbook or other learning material

2) Read through a page or section of the learning material

3) Close the textbook or cover the learning material

4) Scribble down everything you can remember (doesn't have to be neat)

5) Check what you got right and what you got wrong

6) Repeat the steps until you have got everything correct and can remember everything clearly
Original post by murdering
For most subjects I use the Scribble Technique..

1) Open your textbook or other learning material

2) Read through a page or section of the learning material

3) Close the textbook or cover the learning material

4) Scribble down everything you can remember (doesn't have to be neat)

5) Check what you got right and what you got wrong

6) Repeat the steps until you have got everything correct and can remember everything clearly

Haven't heard of this one before - sounds like a great way to get information to stick though, thanks for sharing! :biggrin:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Haven't heard of this one before - sounds like a great way to get information to stick though, thanks for sharing! :biggrin:

It's basically like how we used to remeber spellings in primary school, look, cover, write, check. Haha, it usually works for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest