The Student Room Group

GCSE study buddy

Hi i'm a year 10 student that will be in september and I was wondering if there are people out there that can help me with advices, methods etc. I take the following: Maths,Eng,Science,Food,Photography,Geography and French.
Any contribution appreciated!
Hey Year 12 student here! I've finished my GCSEs now and I've made quite a lot of flashcards so here's a link and u can feel free to use them if you want! A lot of topics are missing because I didn't finish them before my exams but the ones that are mostly complete are all of Edexcel B geography, AQA chemistry paper 2, all of AQA RS, AQA physics paper 1 and AQA biology paper 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f_C13-LdxinV5RtgxjNs3Gwty-xkbLZ0yuyaRJm2bi4/edit?usp=sharing

In terms of tips, I would say active recall is the best method for GCSEs. If you're staying in school after GCSEs, then you'll realise that they really were easy compared to A level content, so don't overwork or stress yourself when revising it!! :smile:
Original post by Harfan654
Hi i'm a year 10 student that will be in september and I was wondering if there are people out there that can help me with advices, methods etc. I take the following: Maths,Eng,Science,Food,Photography,Geography and French.
Any contribution appreciated!

Here are some tips specific to certain subjects!

Maths:
First go through the topics and see if there are any you are weak in or feel like you'll forget easily and watch a youtube explanation on this (gcse maths tutor yt channel is great as well as cognito) or you can read a revision guide explanation, maybe from cgp or oxford revise.
Then do some practice questions - gcse maths tutor website, maths genie, mme revise, pmt and any revision guide you have will be useful to apply what you have learnt to questions. Don't worry if you get a question wrong on a topic you are confident in, just copy down the mark scheme steps and next time when you face a question similar, you will be able to tackle it!

English:
You can do practice essays or essay plans and use a mark scheme/examiners report to help you mark it. MME revise, save my exams and pmt offer some good notes, which can help. Always consider context (what was happening during the time the text/poem was written? how does this relate to the issues/themes included in the text/poem?), themes (what are the main ideas of the text/poem and what lines/quotes suggest this?), language techniques (sibilance, juxtaposition, MAPSOS, etc.) and structure/form (what is the layout of the text/poem and how is it written, like sonnet or amount of syllables per line).

Science:
Use freesciencelessons and cognito yt channels to help you understand the content. Make super concise notes (maximum an A4 page) for each topic (or just for topics that you don't understand well), this is a resource for you to refer back to when you're confused - use freesciencelessons and your exam board specification to help you do this. Finally, practice! Use physics and maths tutor (pmt) and mme revise for free practice questions with mark scheme. Make sure to revise practicals and know your equations, as these are common questions that pop up in an exam.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest