The Student Room Group

Man dragged off United airplane traded prescription drugs for sex with patient

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
I wouldn't go that far...

You're a slightly edgy conservative, if I were running the show we'd be abolishing the NHS and legalising assault rifles.
Original post by l'etranger
Perhaps United should have cancelled the flight.

The flight wasn't even actually overbooked, everyone with a valid ticket had boarded but then 4 crew members said they had to be on the plane (when in fact it was not crucial that they were on that very flight).

No one accepted the voluntary re-accommodation compensation, so they chose 4 passengers 'at random' to be involuntarily re-accommodated. He said he couldn't because he was flying to see patients in the morning, but then they knocked him unconscious and dragged him through the cabin.

On the facts (and the facts alone), there is no doubt who is in the wrong.

As to the subsequent airing of his private life, the victim was not a listed company, he is not offering a service. He didn't even publicise this issue, yet now not only did he suffer personal injury (at best due to negligence and a brutally disproportionate amount of force, at worst because of racism as the 4 passengers that were 'randomly' chosen were all Asian) but now his entire private life is apparently relevant knowledge for the world.

If you can't feel sorry for the guy or acknowledge United were in the wrong then I don't think you are seeing things correctly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BasicMistake
You must be a total retard to think that he put himself in the spotlight.

"I know what I'll do today! I'll board a plane which will become overbooked due to United needing to get their own workers on board, get everybody around to record it, have it become big news and hope the gutter press doesn't find out about what I did nearly 15 years ago! Perfect plan!" -what I assume you think went through his mind

Really, the situation went nuclear right from the start and didn't gradually escalate into what it ultimately became?

Being a doctor one would presume he shared the same social skills that most of us possess, and be able to defuse the situation before it went out of control.

Yes?
You're a slightly edgy conservative, if I were running the show we'd be abolishing the NHS and legalising assault rifles.

:biggrin:
Typical left wing response, when the facts are incriminating shrug, wring your hands and further increase the standard of proof required.

But these facts are not relevant to the incident in question - which is whether United were justified in removing him from the plane in the way they did.

You can answer that question in the negative without saying the victim in this instance has never done anything wrong in his life, which is why it's totally irrelevant and why this really does constitute poisoning the well.
Original post by Palmyra
But these facts are not relevant to the incident in question - which is whether United were justified in removing him from the plane in the way they did.

You can answer that question in the negative without saying the victim in this instance has never done anything wrong in his life, which is why it's totally irrelevant and why this really does constitute poisoning the well.

Original post by Palmyra
The flight wasn't even actually overbooked, everyone with a valid ticket had boarded but then 4 crew members said they had to be on the plane (when in fact it was not crucial that they were on that very flight).

No one accepted the voluntary re-accommodation compensation, so they chose 4 passengers 'at random' to be involuntarily re-accommodated. He said he couldn't because he was flying to see patients in the morning, but then they knocked him unconscious and dragged him through the cabin.

On the facts (and the facts alone), there is no doubt who is in the wrong.

As to the subsequent airing of his private life, the victim was not a listed company, he is not offering a service. He didn't even publicise this issue, yet now not only did he suffer personal injury (at best due to negligence and a brutally disproportionate amount of force, at worst because of racism as the 4 passengers that were 'randomly' chosen were all Asian) but now his entire private life is apparently relevant knowledge for the world.

If you can't feel sorry for the guy or acknowledge United were in the wrong then I don't think you are seeing things correctly.

It would make sense for the man to to pursue criminal charges as well as damages in a civil court as is his legal right. This is not something which I am disputing, but every couple of months some pillock with a smart phone creates the next big story of the righteous little guy against the big bad guy and when that is happening then yes I support a balanced and holistic approach.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
Please seek therapy for your manifestly significant family problems instead of projecting them onto TSR.

Quite sad how many members are so easily reduced to childish insult.
This is not something which I am disputing, but every couple of months some pillock with a smart phone creates the next big story of the righteous little guy against the big bad guy and when that is happening then yes I support a balanced and holistic approach.

You are not supporting a "balanced and holistic approach" to this incident, you are trying to level the playing field in terms of the overall moral perception of United and this guy - these are two very different things.
Original post by joe cooley
Really, the situation went nuclear right from the start and didn't gradually escalate into what it ultimately became?

Being a doctor one would presume he shared the same social skills that most of us possess, and be able to defuse the situation before it went out of control.

Yes?

He has the same social skills that most of us possess and understood that there was no reason for him to leave the plane at that time.

United are responsible for escalating the situation to the point where the security team assaulted the doctor. They failed to turn away passengers prior to boarding. They failed to realise that kicking off paying already-sat-down customers for the sake of the not-really-urgent transport of staff would be considered ludicrous by any reasonable person. They failed to go up to the maximum reaccomodation compensation before forcing people off the plane. And they failed to even attempt to get other passengers to leave instead after their first randomly chosen (I somewhat doubt it when prices are involved) passenger refused to get kicked out.
Lets face it, while this individuals sordid history would have reduced sympathy levels in most quarters many on the left will allow it to enhance their sympathy for him.

Strange lot.
Original post by joe cooley
Quite sad how many members are so easily reduced to childish insult.

It's true though, isn't it? Do you live with both your parents? Do they beat you, or just not care about you in general?
Original post by BasicMistake
He has the same social skills that most of us possess and understood that there was no reason for him to leave the plane at that time.

United are responsible for escalating the situation to the point where the security team assaulted the doctor. They failed to turn away passengers prior to boarding. They failed to realise that kicking off paying already-sat-down customers for the sake of the not-really-urgent transport of staff would be considered ludicrous by any reasonable person. They failed to go up to the maximum reaccomodation compensation before forcing people off the plane. And they failed to even attempt to get other passengers to leave instead after their first randomly chosen (I somewhat doubt it when prices are involved) passenger refused to get kicked out.

How many people were removed from the aircraft?

How many of those removed ended up in a violent altercation with police?
The left-wing morality police have created a scenario of good doctor vs evil capitalists and the facts are now showing this narrative which has been used to create the moral outrage is untrue.

In what way does this news make it "untrue"? It does not change the fact that he was assaulted and dragged off an airplane that he paid to be on because of a **** up by the airline. The behaviour of the airline is still disgusting regardless of what the doctor did over a decade ago, however questionable that may be.

And from what I gather (responding to one of your other comments), united airlines have a terrible reputation for customer service and have been the focus of controversy before - it does seem that this is representative of what united are actually like. Especially when you factor in the terrible response to this by their CEO.
Original post by Palmyra
You are not supporting a "balanced and holistic approach" to this incident, you are trying to level the playing field in terms of the overall moral perception of United and this guy - these are two very different things.

People who use other aspects of his life such as how he's a doctor or how he's elderly are guilty of the exact same sin. Using irrelevant backstory for emotional effect.
The Daily Mail is a good newspaper; far better than the Guardian.

What you mean is, the Daily Mail is more concordant with your world view. It's pretty irrational to state that a newspaper is "far better" simply because it matches your opinion.

If the Guaridan and DM kept their quality, but reversed their political and social leaning, you'd completely switch your opinion.
The Daily Mail is a good newspaper; far better than the Guardian.

would not agree with the good part they speak a lot of :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: but sure would definitely be better then the guardian. However that is hardly an achievement its like coming in second from last in the school race when the person that came in last was the obese mentally handicapped kid that stopped to roll around in the daisy's.
That's fair enough and he should pursue them through the courts as is his right, but this case has become a cause célèbre, a story of good verses evil and if you're going to frame yourself as a Jesus-like martyr then you should be open to having your personal life scrutinised. Had this been a court case then yes you're right his past has no relevance but the moral outrage has made his past relevant.

Are you trying to be a moron on purpose?

Please elaborate for us all how the doctor "framed himself as a Jesus-like martyr"..

Did he ask to be removed from the plane? Did he record himself being taken off? Did he report it himself to the media?

Stop trying so hard to be an edgy Alt-right goon.
Original post by Twinpeaks
What you mean is, the Daily Mail is more concordant with your world view. It's pretty irrational to state that a newspaper is "far better" simply because it matches your opinion.

No it's not. Most people believe that their opinions are rooted in objective reality so actually it's very rational to believe that something is better because it matches your opinion. If I were a Bible literalist, it would make perfect sense for me to believe that the Bible is inherently superior to the Bhagavad Gita even if in reality Bible literalism is an incorrect worldview.
No it's not. Most people believe that their opinions are rooted in objective reality so actually it's very rational to believe that something is better because it matches your opinion. If I were a Bible literalist, it would make perfect sense for me to believe that the Bible is inherently superior to the Bhagavad Gita even if in reality Bible literalism is an incorrect worldview.

Well that's exactly what I just said isn't it? You don't give a toss about the quality of journalism, as long as it matches your political opinion you'd accept it. The DM is better because you agree with it.

Just because people believe their opinions to be more rational, doesn't mean that is the case...
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Are you trying to be a moron on purpose?

Please elaborate for us all how the doctor "framed himself as a Jesus-like martyr"..

Did he ask to be removed from the plane? Did he record himself being taken off? Did he report it himself to the media?

Stop trying so hard to be an edgy Alt-right goon.

There is a difference between being legally within your rights to press charges against individuals and sue the airline and one incident meaning that United deserves to lose 500m of its share value in a single day. I do not begrudge people dumping their shares or seeking alternative flight companies as is their personal right but I equally see nothing wrong with United attempting to change the record as means of damage limitation on their part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending