The Student Room Group

Occupational Health Screening - midwifery uni degree

I'm looking to apply for midwifery next year. Many of the courses state I'll have to complete an occupational health screening prior to the beginning of the course.

The issue I have is that I'm a daily weed smoker. I use it to help me sleep, but I don't have a medical prescription. I'd like to continue smoking as I know midwives work random hours and this will help ensure I can sleep when I need to.

Will the occupation health screening test for drugs too? I'll quit if I have to, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.
Reply 1
Original post by hereforthefood
I'm looking to apply for midwifery next year. Many of the courses state I'll have to complete an occupational health screening prior to the beginning of the course.

The issue I have is that I'm a daily weed smoker. I use it to help me sleep, but I don't have a medical prescription. I'd like to continue smoking as I know midwives work random hours and this will help ensure I can sleep when I need to.

Will the occupation health screening test for drugs too? I'll quit if I have to, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

It’s unlikely however not off the cards. Your biggest issue is you would be breaking the code of conduct as a practising midwife who is consuming controlled drugs (whatever your personal beliefs are weed is illegal) so that could be an issue.
Another issue is if you need weed to sleep and for some reason get called into work, you will be unable to practise as you will be still under the influence of controlled drugs.
Section 20 https://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/code/read-the-code-online/

Quick Reply

Latest