The Student Room Group

Need physics help!

I'm doing P1 revision at the minute for GCSE and I had a few questions.
Can someone explain parallax to me?
I was reading on the movement of continents, what's the difference between continents and tectonic plates? They both move and I'm really confused. May seem like a really stupid question but I can't grasp it🤔
Parallax is where there is a difference in the position of the object due to differing lines of sight. So for example, if you were using a ruler to measure the length of a piece of paper, the length would differ depending on where your eyes were looking at the ruler from.
the tectonic plate is a layer of rock above floating above the mantle. Continents are areas of these tectonic plates. As the tectonic plates move the continents move as well, this causes earthquakes and tsunamis, because the plates are all broken up, when they collide with each other they make energy which ends up as an earthquake.
Original post by Schoolgirl_8926
I'm doing P1 revision at the minute for GCSE and I had a few questions.
Can someone explain parallax to me?
I was reading on the movement of continents, what's the difference between continents and tectonic plates? They both move and I'm really confused. May seem like a really stupid question but I can't grasp it🤔

if ur doing p1 gcse ocr then you need to know parallax is the apparent movement of stars 6 months apart, when earth is at opposite sides of its orbit. tectonic plates is to do with earthquakes, mountain building and volcanoes while continents is to do with like the proof of continental drift - geometric fit of continents. sorry idk if ive explained clearly

Quick Reply

Latest