The Student Room Group

Using A level Further Maths in Maths

I'm doing the MEI further maths A level this year with FP2, FP3 and M2. Are we allowed to use methods taught in further maths in normal maths? Eg C4?
The FP3 vectors equations are a lot quicker than the C4 methods For vectors so can we use them and still get all of the marks?
Original post by HarkerJoe
I'm doing the MEI further maths A level this year with FP2, FP3 and M2. Are we allowed to use methods taught in further maths in normal maths? Eg C4?
The FP3 vectors equations are a lot quicker than the C4 methods For vectors so can we use them and still get all of the marks?

Yes - though check with your teacher as this could vary with exam board.

But be extra clear to show your working and state explicitly your chain of thought.
Reply 2
Original post by Implication
Yes - though check with your teacher as this could vary with exam board.

But be extra clear to show your working and state explicitly your chain of thought.

Our further maths teacher has said we can but our maths teacher has said we can't, cheers though
Original post by HarkerJoe
Our further maths teacher has said we can but our maths teacher has said we can't, cheers though

In theory you should be able to use any valid method that you like. However,

a) the examiner marking your maths teacher may not understand an unconventional method

b) the question may be implying that you should use a specific method, and you may miss that. For example, in another thread someone has asked whether they can use differentiation to answer a gradient question at GCSE. The answer is probably 'yes', but if they've asked you to estimate the gradient, they're probably expecting you to draw a triangle - and if you don't, you probably won't get the marks.

I would err on the side of caution and use the method you're 'supposed' to where possible!

Quick Reply

Latest