The Student Room Group

Where did I go wrong? (exponents)

This question involved finding one side length of a rectangle given that the diagonal length = 12cm and the perimeter = 28cm. I got the correct answer in the end using a different equation (the equation for diagonal length) but the first thing I tried to do was to be "clever" with exponents and I got a nonsense answer. I'm just interested to see what lovely stupid mistake I made :s WP_20170429_004.jpg
Original post by Sonechka
This question involved finding one side length of a rectangle given that the diagonal length = 12cm and the perimeter = 28cm. I got the correct answer in the end using a different equation (the equation for diagonal length) but the first thing I tried to do was to be "clever" with exponents and I got a nonsense answer. I'm just interested to see what lovely stupid mistake I made :s WP_20170429_004.jpg

It's nonsense because a2b2≢ab\sqrt{a^2 - b^2} \not\equiv a-b.
Original post by _gcx
It's nonsense because a2b2≢ab\sqrt{a^2 - b^2} \not\equiv a-b.

Yeah, I was suspecting that was what I'd done (that's why I crossed it out the first time) but then what is 2(12^2 - x^2)^1/2 equal to? Is that its simplest form? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Sonechka
Yeah, I was suspecting that was what I'd done (that's why I crossed it out the first time) but then what is 2(12^2 - x^2)^1/2 equal to? Is that its simplest form? Thanks :smile:

You can't expand any expressions in the form (a±b)n(a \pm b)^n, with non-integer exponents, as far as you know. (even then, expansions are only valid under certain circumstances) You should, when attempting to solve an equation, "remove" the square root by squaring, rather than attempt to expand it :smile:

Are you trying to solve 2x+2144x2=282x + 2\sqrt{144-x^2} = 28? Start by dividing both sides by two, and then see what you can do from there, noting the above.
Original post by _gcx
You can't expand any expressions in the form (a±b)n(a \pm b)^n, with non-integer exponents, as far as you know. (even then, expansions are only valid under certain circumstances) You should, when attempting to solve an equation, "remove" the square root by squaring, rather than attempt to expand it :smile:

Are you trying to solve 2x+2144x2=282x + 2\sqrt{144-x^2} = 28? Start by dividing both sides by two, and then see what you can do from there, noting the above.

Oh ok, I was unsure as to whether such expressions could be expanded in some way. It's fine, I know how to do that and I answered the question correctly in the end, I was just wondering whether there was any way the expansion approach could work/why it didn't in that case. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest