The Student Room Group

religion and mental health

i was just wondering if there were any muslims or any religious people really, who have had experience with mental health?

when i tried opening up to my mum, she told me i wasnt religious enough even though i do pray etc. ... just wanted to know?
Original post by Anonymous
i was just wondering if there were any muslims or any religious people really, who have had experience with mental health?

when i tried opening up to my mum, she told me i wasnt religious enough even though i do pray etc. ... just wanted to know?

There is no link between religion and mental health. Some religious people have mental health issues, some don’t. Religion is neither a cure to mental health issues nor a cause.
Reply 2
There is no link between religion and mental health. Some religious people have mental health issues, some don’t. Religion is neither a cure to mental health issues nor a cause.

Religion can have a positive impact on people's mental health :smile:. However, there is a caveat because there is also an element of how the congregation deals with mental health and their attitudes towards on how believers can be affected by mental health.
Original post by CAB18022
Religion can have a positive impact on people's mental health :smile:. However, there is a caveat because there is also an element of how the congregation deals with mental health and their attitudes towards on how believers can be affected by mental health.

And there are also scenarios where religion can make mental health issues worse. I would therefore highly recommend seeking help from trained professionals for mental health issues, rather than trying to rely on religion.
Reply 4
And there are also scenarios where religion can make mental health issues worse. I would therefore highly recommend seeking help from trained professionals for mental health issues, rather than trying to rely on religion.

Yes, I would also agree, I do acknowledge that, I'm just pointing out that religion can be good for mental health too!

What a bland, black-and-white, close-minded take...

Tbh God is all you ever need, He's better than some educated humans in the field, but at the same time it can feel overwhelmingly hard
Original post by MartinTheSaiyan
Tbh God is all you ever need.......

I could not disagree more. Religion can have both positive and negative impacts on mental health depending on the the individual, on the specific situation, and on the nature of the mental health issue. If you have a mental health issue you should therefore seek help from a trained professional in that field. Suggesting otherwise is dangerous and wrong.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I could not disagree more. Religion can have both positive and negative impacts on mental health depending on the the individual, on the specific situation, and on the nature of the mental health issue. If you have a mental health issue you should therefore seek help from a trained professional in that field. Suggesting otherwise is dangerous and wrong.

You could disagree to the infinite power with all the exponents blah blah blah maths talk idk for all I care doesn't change anything.

Saying any view outside of your own is wrong and dangerous is crazy, delusional and close minded as hell😂

Note that I never ignored nor disregarded the fact that it can be very hard, neither did I straight up say "Don't seek any medical help, just pray to God and the depression will go away". No I did not. God is not some magic wand that instantly makes everything fine and dandy. Even the Bible says "faith without works is dead".

Seeking medical help would be ideal and recommended in this situation. I was just speaking on the over reliance on mere humans in the face of the Almighty who knows you through and through, more than you know yourself, more than any other human could know you.

Quick Reply

Latest