The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

whats investment banking like?
Original post by Noble.
People read those?

I definitely don't lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Etch7409
Yeah that makes a fair bit of sense! A large proportion of deals in IBD are made so they are in a clients options when it comes to deals that will actually make the bank a good return. Trading in banks consistently makes profit.

Well, not really no. There's just far more volume flowing through the S&T side.. Some desks deal with billions of dollars worth of transactions a day. Whereas an M&A/Financing deal would take months to pitch, negotiate, structure and finally close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigBackner
whats investment banking like?

like a stressed induced coma, but we don't quit because no other job offers free dinners past 8
Original post by Princepieman
Well, not really no. There's just far more volume flowing through the S&T side.. Some desks deal with billions of dollars worth of transactions a day. Whereas an M&A/Financing deal would take months to pitch, negotiate, structure and finally close.

Yeah! i guess GS made 85% profit just from S&T last year.
Original post by gr8wizard10
like a stressed induced coma, but we don't quit because no other job offers free dinners past 8

and free uber rides back home after 8
Any international students here?
Hey guys! I have offers from UCL for the course 'BSc in info management for business' and Bocconi for 'Bachelor in international economics and finance' Which course would you guys prefer for getting in the likes of McKinsey/Bain/Boston/and top bank etc. in London?

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
Original post by indian007
Hey guys! I have offers from UCL for the course 'BSc in info management for business' and Bocconi for 'Bachelor in international economics and finance' Which course would you guys prefer for getting in the likes of McKinsey/Bain/Boston/and top bank etc. in London?

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

From your username I could suggest you to attend UCL because banks target (mostly) the Italian native speakers from bocconi and UCL due to its location and of course a target uni will help you to an extent to get in.

Consulting recruitment is mainly focused on Oxbridge students and they take fair amount of people from LSE,UCL,Bristol,Durham,Warwick and other reputed unis. Just do some LinkedIn stalking and then take a decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Akhil1999.gs

Yeah! i guess GS made 85% profit just from S&T last year.

As a proportion of total revenues, GS makes way more from M&A than other banks. 10-years ago GS were leading in S&T, but they've been having a rough time for the last few years.
Original post by Noble.
As a proportion of total revenues, GS makes way more from M&A than other banks. 10-years ago GS were leading in S&T, but they've been having a rough time for the last few years.

Pre Crisis was the time to be in the IBs!
Reply 51
Pre Crisis was the time to be in the IBs!

Prop firms are the place to be now :wink:
Original post by Noble.
Prop firms are the place to be now :wink:

I know right :wink:
Guys I got a doubt. Can i apply for this spring intake if my course is like 4 years inc a placement year? Will my app be rejected
Guys I got a doubt. Can i apply for this spring intake if my course is like 4 years inc a placement year? Will my app be rejected

Apply for spring weeks this year. Eligibility for a placement year might be based on first year grades and you might even change ur mind. If I was u I'd just change my graduation date to 2020. And if, one year from now, you're still set on doing a placement apply again for spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Legend15
Apply for spring weeks this year. Eligibility for a placement year might be based on first year grades and you might even change ur mind. If I was u I'd just change my graduation date to 2020. And if, one year from now, you're still set on doing a placement apply again for spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I can apply for both spring weeks and summer internship on the second year
Reply 56
Can someone explain what this whole threas is about?
Original post by arya290
Can someone explain what this whole threas is about?

The title says it all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
The title says it all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean what is Spring Week?
Original post by arya290
I mean what is Spring Week?

An insight program during the spring break.

Latest

Trending

Trending