The Student Room Group

In An Inspector Calls, to what extent is Edna the maid culpable for the death of Eva

Edna, the maid, is from a working class background therefore she should be able to associate with Eva Smith. The fact that she shows absolutely no sympathy manifests her malicious nature. Furthermore, people from poorer backgrounds are more likely to be malicious...
Original post by pastiche73
Edna, the maid, is from a working class background therefore she should be able to associate with Eva Smith. The fact that she shows absolutely no sympathy manifests her malicious nature. Furthermore, people from poorer backgrounds are more likely to be malicious...

Edna's the maid isn't she? How has she got to do with the murder? I don't think she really has anything to associate with the death but could represent the working class.
Original post by Hannahk999
Edna's the maid isn't she? How has she got to do with the murder? I don't think she really has anything to associate with the death but could represent the working class.

I really believe Pastiche has something here

Not many people would comment on this and putting in your exam would boost your grade.
Reply 3
There is pretty much no extent you can relate Edna the maid to the murder of Eva Smith. Edna is a working class maid who represents the working class, much like Eva, but Edna doesn't play a role in the murder of Eva.
Reply 4
Original post by Hannahk999

Arguably, Priestley uses Edna as means to ironically convey the lack of power the working class possess, I common Marxist interpretation. However Edna's role in the play is far more significant. For example, Edna's name begins with and E and ends with an A which closely resembles Eva. There is however, a darker side so Edna as she is the only one to not express remorse - even less than Eva who is REALLY POOR.
Original post by pastiche73
Arguably, Priestley uses Edna as means to ironically convey the lack of power the working class possess, I common Marxist interpretation. However Edna's role in the play is far more significant. For example, Edna's name begins with and E and ends with an A which closely resembles Eva. There is however, a darker side so Edna as she is the only one to not express remorse - even less than Eva who is REALLY POOR.

what do you mean a darker side?

Quick Reply

Latest