The Student Room Group

One hour into my maths exam and I spill my drink on the paper.

In my maths exam today, I spilled my drink (vimto cherry flavour) all over the paper. I am worried that the exam won't scan properly. Also, I didn't realise that it had spilled until after most of my paper was rendered incomprehensible. When the examiners collected it in, they needed a separate tray so I'm guessing they will scan it separately. Is this something to worry about?

Scroll to see replies

lolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololollolololol

honestly I have no idea

but if it's incomprehensible

I'd advise you assume the worst

maaaaybe you can be pardoned and allowed to resit?
maybe....
(edited 6 years ago)
That's why you always keep your bottle on the floor. In my english exam I left my bottle on my desk and invigilator swiped it off desk and put it on the floor.
You will be ok. Mortifying though.
This is actually one of the reasons why I think it's best to take water and nothing else! As long as you see your writing and the barcode thing at the bottom, I think it'll be okay. Although that kind of raises my anxiety because I coloured in one of my barcodes by mistake lol
Although your papers are important to them (which is surprising) and they'll probs deffo try to mark it. They can't just say, "hmm, not scanning. Let's bin this paper".
Original post by pastiche73
most of my paper was rendered incomprehensible

You get 0 for any questions not readable.
In my maths exam today, I spilled my drink (vimto cherry flavour) all over the paper. I am worried that the exam won't scan properly. Also, I didn't realise that it had spilled until after most of my paper was rendered incomprehensible. When the examiners collected it in, they needed a separate tray so I'm guessing they will scan it separately. Is this something to worry about?

Normally schools don't allow anything other than water for this very reason, and I recommend only taking a small bottle of water into future exams! You should ask your Exams Office about what might happen, but the most likely outcome is that the questions that can be read will be marked; the ones that can't be read, won't, and you'll receive zero marks for that question. However, there may be a protocol for this kind of situation so definitely enquire about it with your school/Exams Office.
You're allowed to drink vimto in exams?
Original post by DarthRoar
You get 0 for any questions not readable.

No you don't. The examiners don't want us to fail you know. They won't just bin the paper just cos they can't read it. Worst case scenario they will have to mark it on the paper itself.
Original post by Parsia
No you don't. The examiners don't want us to fail you know. They won't just bin the paper just cos they can't read it. Worst case scenario they will have to mark it on the paper itself.

I'm assuming that by 'unreadable' OP means that it's unreadable to both people and scanners. Sure, if it were possible for a person to mark it, then it'd be fine. But if the writing is so smudged that its completely unreadable, then you get 0 marks for those questions.
Lies, can only drink water in exams, next troll please
when someone says their own writing is incomprehensible

you KNOW it is incomprehensible

if by some miracle someone can read it, then sure she'd get the marks

but how the hell are you going to mark purple stain, blurred cosine, wavy line, smudge, purple stain

I get wanting to be optimistic and everything but the OP's only hope is honestly just retaking

even IF they can read 80% and the OP gets a B, I'd personally retake it...

Original post by glad-he-ate-her

as for bringing a vimto into an exam hall, it could've been in a bottle?
otherwise it's a disappoint troll xD
Original post by glad-he-ate-her

ah, now thats where you're wrong.
i bet you can take vodka as long as its been transferred to a plastic botle :P
... and you want to fail ur exams
(vodkas clear too right?)

I didn't even know that you could take other drinks into the exam besides water. I really feel sorry for you, they'll have to mark it seperately and any questions where they cannot read the answer will be given 0. Perhaps you should take water and put the bottle on the floor.
Reply 15
I'm surprised you were allowed to drink that in the exam.
Is this CCEA's T1-4 papers you sat today?

That's why most schools only allow water in sports top bottles ...
Original post by Muttley79
That's why most schools only allow water in sports top bottles ...

Bottles have to be clear, with a clear liquid (almost definitely water) and have no labels on them or anything similar.
You're supposed to only drink water - that way there won't be weirdly-coloured stains.

I'm pretty sure they'll mark it. If it doesn't scan, they will mark the hard copy.

Quick Reply

Latest