The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse 2017 biology unit 3 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Exponential-1.5
What do you think the grade boundaries will be for triple?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think possibly 43-45 for an A*, 38 for an A and 30 for a B
For the coeliac disease question I also put that the capillaries were further away from the cells on the surface of the small intestine so the diffusion distance was increased?Idk
b3 and b2 was so easy it felt like a breeze
the lining from the villi and the capillaries was larger so there was less absorption of the nutrients and food
What was the answer for question 4 b ii) (i think thats the right question number)
how was transpiration affected in the clear box
Original post by Tanvirul5
no this girl is dumb, most of the answers did not come up in the exam.

Her answers seemed very logical to me
Original post by help.2017
how did everyone find the exam? And predicted grade boundaries based on the level of difficulty?
Last year was 41 A*

Paper was relatively easy, I'm hoping for somewhere around the 50 mark, considering the triple grade boundaries are usually lower, I feel this paper was slightly easier than last year's paper so I'm guessing around 45 for an A*
Original post by anna2811
I thought that the cell would shrink, because the solution was more concentrated on outside of the cell so water would move out by osmosis?

The blood cell would burst, as it's optimum concentration was 280 arbitrary units and the drink was 492 I think, osmosis has nothing to do with that question
Original post by Idontlikeexams
Paper was relatively easy, I'm hoping for somewhere around the 50 mark, considering the triple grade boundaries are usually lower, I feel this paper was slightly easier than last year's paper so I'm guessing around 45 for an A*

last years exams was easier! but you could be right
I swear its just me who found the biology papers really hard this year, thats a D for me!
Reply 190
The blood cell would burst, as it's optimum concentration was 280 arbitrary units and the drink was 492 I think, osmosis has nothing to do with that question

Actually, it does. Since the solution outside the cell is more concentrated (of glucose), there is a net movement of water particles from high to low (cell to outside) through osmosis. I did struggle to decide which one to use, but in numerous past papers and the "potato chip experiment", the substance that is considered to be moving is water, not sugar/glucose. Hence, the cell turns flaccid. I could be wrong, but this is a possible answer.

Think the question was all about osmosis. Water moves from dilute to concentrated solutions so water moves from cell to the drink, the cell has less water and is dehydrated
For the question about how the man kept warm could you write about how the hairs on his skin stud up for insulation??
Reply 193
Original post by number0
i thought due to the solution around the cell being more concentrated, the water moves from the cell into the solution due to osmosis down concentration gradient. Cause like dehydration in the cell

this is correct!!!!!!!
Reply 194
Original post by daniel conway
for the question about how the man kept warm could you write about how the hairs on his skin stud up for insulation??

yes definitely just had to explain in detail
Reply 195
Original post by Tahmid12
What was the answer for question 4 b ii) (i think thats the right question number)

i said that the box ment that when the water evaporated it stayed in the air instead of being able to spread out. this means the concentration of water in the air was increases so evaporation happened at a slower rate meaning less water was lost so the mass of the apparatus was higher
Original post by etothepiiplusone
I am 90% certain the revision guide lists the two waste products in the body as urea and CO2. I therefore think for 5-6 marks you had to talk about both of these.

Guess I did it wrong then😂 I just went into detail about the kidney and what they filter like water, ions, urea and glucose which re-absorbs
Original post by Tahmid12

Wasn't it a dark box, i put that the stomata closes when its dark therefore transpiration doesn't occur so there is less water loss and will weigh more then the other ones (because it asked you to compare with the other experiment)
I think it was an easy paper overall, but it was easy to make mistakes by talking about something else in that topic
there was a question about coeliac disease? on the higher aqa b3 paper??? where? i just had questions about deforestation and trees at the beginning i?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending