The Student Room Group

Chemistry A level Question

Question about why the weakest reducing agent is Cl2, not 2HOCL.

I would expect it to be Cl2 as this would be the most likely to oxidise

The Equation is as follows 2HOCl + 2H+ + 2e- ---> Cl2 + 2H20 (+1.64)

Another question is for the electrochemical cell representation, why is it Pt|H2|H+||Fe2+|Fe when Fe 2+ + 2e- ---> Fe is -ve. I thought it would be the oxidation on the left hand side and reduction on the right hand side.

Many thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by KimJongIan
Question about why the weakest reducing agent is Cl2, not 2HOCL.

I would expect it to be Cl2 as this would be the most likely to oxidise

The Equation is as follows 2HOCl + 2H+ + 2e- ---> Cl2 + 2H20 (+1.64)

Another question is for the electrochemical cell representation, why is it Pt|H2|H+||Fe2+|Fe when Fe 2+ + 2e- ---> Fe is -ve. I thought it would be the oxidation on the left hand side and reduction on the right hand side.

Many thanks in advance

When you're looking at an electrochemical series, they are all written as reduction equations. On the right-hand side, you will find the reducing agents (strongest at the top, weakest on the bottom). On the left-hand side, you will find the oxidising agents (strongest at the bottom, weakest at the top). This is assuming that the electrochemical series has the more negative E values at the top and starts to increase as you go down.

For your second question, the standard hydrogen electrode is always displayed on the left, regardless what's in the other half-cell.

Quick Reply

Latest