The Student Room Group

OCR MEI S2 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Think it went pretty well, hoping for 90UMS but not too sure with those weird worded questions.
What was the answer to the coefficient question?
Original post by supergeek5
What was the answer to the coefficient question?

I didn't really know what it wanted specifically but I put something to the effect of " For every metre in ship length the operational ship speed increases by 0.05 knots."
Reply 83
Original post by NickC98
Think it went pretty well, hoping for 90UMS but not too sure with those weird worded questions.

Literally the same as you, never know how they will mark the worded questions :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by hatedigi
I didn't really know what it wanted specifically but I put something to the effect of " For every metre in ship length the operational ship speed increases by 0.05 knots."

how many marks was that one? i just threw a guess at it in the end and said that because the coefficient is positive there is a positive correlation between ship length and ship speed? doubt thats what they were asking for though lol
Reply 85
Original post by jcm420
how many marks was that one? i just threw a guess at it in the end and said that because the coefficient is positive there is a positive correlation between ship length and ship speed? doubt thats what they were asking for though lol

I said the same thing, not sure how many marks it would be worth though
Reply 86
Anyone got a copy of the paper?
what was the independent/ dependant variable?
Original post by jcm420

2 marks but I have no idea how.
Original post by dudleyville
what was the independent/ dependant variable?

I think independent was length of the ship because you could decide that and the speed was dependent because it varied according to ship length. For the poisson-> normal approximation did you guys round to 49.5 to 50.5, I did 50.5 but I think this was a mistake... If so how many marks do you think I'll lose, will there be follow on??
Original post by liv220715
I think independent was length of the ship because you could decide that and the speed was dependent because it varied according to ship length. For the poisson-> normal approximation did you guys round to 49.5 to 50.5, I did 50.5 but I think this was a mistake... If so how many marks do you think I'll lose, will there be follow on??

I think it was 49.5 since it was more than or equal to.

Pretty sure an incorrect continuity correction is only 1 mark.
Original post by hatedigi
I think it was 49.5 since it was more than or equal to.

Pretty sure an incorrect continuity correction is only 1 mark.

Okay thats not too bad then I wasn't sure if it'd mess up the rest, thank you!
Reply 92
For the coefficient question it is the extra speed that the ship has due to the length of the ship eg if long length=higher speed, believe that's all you have to say,
Also for regression line got like 0.001 off everyone else for +c , does this matter because I'm sure theres normally a range
Reply 93
Original post by liv220715

independent was definitely length because it was on the x-axis aswell
Original post by Lolort
For the coefficient question it is the extra speed that the ship has due to the length of the ship eg if long length=higher speed, believe that's all you have to say,
Also for regression line got like 0.001 off everyone else for +c , does this matter because I'm sure theres normally a range

Pretty sure they would accept that.
Original post by JamieHarris1998
Anyone got any idea on predicted grade boundaries?

Think I did well apart from the questions where you had to comment

I hope the grade boundaries are low since it was a difficult paper but generally the grade boundaries for S2 tends to be higher for an A. I'm thinking it'll be around 53/54 for an A
Original post by 847361542520
I hope the grade boundaries are low since it was a difficult paper but generally the grade boundaries for S2 tends to be higher for an A. I'm thinking it'll be around 53/54 for an A

Last year it was 60 for an A though and I think this year was way easier than that paper, might have just felt like that because I'd revised for this one though
Original post by 847361542520

It's never been that low to get an A for S2.
It would be a dream to get boundaries like that
Probably 58-62 for an A I guess, it had more worded answers I felt and there was quite a lot of places where you could make silly errors that they wanted you to make like them giving you the variance instead of standard deviation etc
Reply 99
For the 3 marker in the regression question for which answer was more suitable. Could you say as there are more samples, reliability increases

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending