The Student Room Group

What are you putting in your room?

I really don't know what to leave behind. I have a lot of stuff, especially electrics, all of which is to me pretty indispensible, as I use them all the time. I plan to take them all, so, if anything impractical or unneccesary? This is what I have so far:

21" TV
PS2
Laptop
Small Stereo Hi-Fi
2.1 Speaker System for Laptop and TV (ie one sub and two sat spkrs)
140 CDs and 30 or so DVDs and PS2 Games.

On top of that, there's

Posters
My shoeboxes (one for documents, one for misc stuff so I don't lose it)
Lava Lamp
Desk Lamp
A few books
My clothes
Everything that I need off Loftx's list (which is excellent!)

I think thats all for now, will add if I've forgotten anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
carldaman
I really don't know what to leave behind. I have a lot of stuff, especially electrics, all of which is to me pretty indispensible, as I use them all the time. I plan to take them all, so, if anything impractical or unneccesary? This is what I have so far:

21" TV
PS2
Laptop
Small Stereo Hi-Fi
2.1 Speaker System for Laptop and TV (ie one sub and two sat spkrs)
140 CDs and 30 or so DVDs and PS2 Games.

On top of that, there's

Posters
My shoeboxes (one for documents, one for misc stuff so I don't lose it)
Lava Lamp
Desk Lamp
A few books
My clothes
Everything that I need off Loftx's list (which is excellent!)

I think thats all for now, will add if I've forgotten anything.

If you don't have enough space to take everything, I'd leave the speaker system behind first. OR if you can play CDs on your laptop, take the speakers and leave the HiFi at home. You don't really need both.

You could probably save space by changing the way your store your CDs - you can get quite a few in a good sized shoe box that can go under your bed/desk rather than take up space on a shelf.

Posters really don't take up much room :wink:

All the halls at Nottingham came with a desk lamp so you might not need one - check on your uni web page or accommodation info.

PM me if you want any more advice :smile:
Reply 2
.NK
I'd leave the speaker system behind first.

Where I go, my surround sound goes!!! :wink:
Reply 3
Thanks-I think I'm gonna take it all, and send back whatever doesn't fit with my dad. I'm suprised tho, I thought people might tell me a 21" TV was too large. Never mind tho, I don't think I could live with a smaller one.
Reply 4
I started shopping yesterday! I bought a throw-over, 3cushions, bed linen, a potted artificial plant, a wooden vase and artificial flowers, 2photo frames a small jewellary box and a nail-brush!!! How practical am I? NOT!

I wanted to get the "accessories" done first as they're the fun part! Plus I want my room to look really homely and lovely - I'll go mad living in a scanky shoe-box for 4years!!! Will start on the more mundane stuff soon - Honest!!!
I had a 28" Sony Widescreen, a big surround side hi-fi, a projector, my full tower PC, TFT screen and various other electronics (gamecube etc).... :redface:
Reply 6
I have to take with me(as in main things):

TV
DVD
Hi-Fi
Mini Fridge
Guitar and Amp
And my lava lamp and blacklight for jsut generally looking cool.

Gotta buy a few new posters and stuff..
Reply 7
I think my toiletries alone will fill up my room lol. Not really, but I have quite a lot! I've got my towels and bedding but still need some posters and new clothes. The only big items I'm taking are my TV, DVD player and laptop...my laptop and DVD player play music :smile: I'm worried about fitting all my stuff in the car though.
Reply 8
Don't know why you're all taking TVs, you really don't need them...
Reply 9
go to the gadget shop, sum kool stuff there!
Reply 10
I'm sure i'd rather take my tv and not watch it rather than not take it and wanting to watch it, if you get me...
Reply 11
Ste2k4
I'm sure i'd rather take my tv and not watch it rather than not take it and wanting to watch it, if you get me...

Yeah, I'm taking mine. I might as well, it would just be sitting in my empty room gathering dust otherwise. It's only small though, so it won't take much space. And my dvd player sits nicely underneath it :smile: My biggest expense will probably be new GHD hair straighteners (my sister won't let me take them with me so I have to get a new pair!)
Reply 12
I saw a list yesterday of the things that would be recommended to take to uni. I have been looking around and can't find it. Could someone post a link to the information. Thanks.
Definitely need lots of new posters, found some really excellent websites which do some pretty cool ones if not a little expensive, but so worth it! :smile:

House of the rising sun Good for oldie style posters and are pretty unique. Already earmarked one off ebay for myself, worth a look.

Not sure whether to take a TV, but i'll definitely need my hifi, my brother probably won't want to part with his ps2 which is a shame, but then again will i have time to play it?? probably not hopefully.
Reply 14
~Sam~
Yeah, I'm taking mine. I might as well, it would just be sitting in my empty room gathering dust otherwise. It's only small though, so it won't take much space. And my dvd player sits nicely underneath it :smile: My biggest expense will probably be new GHD hair straighteners (my sister won't let me take them with me so I have to get a new pair!)

Not necessarily, if you take a TV (Or any other device that can display televison programmes) you need to pay for a TV license.
Hyvry1
I saw a list yesterday of the things that would be recommended to take to uni. I have been looking around and can't find it. Could someone post a link to the information. Thanks.

This is what you're looking for i think:
Studential site
No one has mentioned their mobile phone but stated other obvious stuff such as clothes :biggrin:
Reply 17
Hoofbeat
I started shopping yesterday! I bought a throw-over, 3cushions, bed linen, a potted artificial plant, a wooden vase and artificial flowers, 2photo frames a small jewellary box and a nail-brush!!! How practical am I? NOT!

I wanted to get the "accessories" done first as they're the fun part! Plus I want my room to look really homely and lovely - I'll go mad living in a scanky shoe-box for 4years!!! Will start on the more mundane stuff soon - Honest!!!

those are the important things. don't forget fairy lights. & stay within a coherent colour theme. :biggrin:

only then you have such a pretty & atmospheric room you have to though people out when you want to actually sleep! :tongue:
Reply 18
Elles
those are the important things. don't forget fairy lights. & stay within a coherent colour theme. :biggrin:

only then you have such a pretty & atmospheric room you have to though people out when you want to actually sleep! :tongue:

I'm not allowed fairy lights at my college - not even a mini fridge (yet we don't get kitchens as fully catered for, so I can't even keep drinks cold!)

I've already chosen my colour scheme - it's neutral, sort of light browns, minky browns and cream - thought they're safe colours depending on what manky carpet i get! hehe
Reply 19
Laptop
Mobile Phone
Minidisc
'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu
Homer Simpson type statue to hang my watch on and bracelet
Erm, I think that's it.

Latest

Trending

Trending