The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Accommodation

how do I go about picking what college to choose?

I just don't understand what the differences are with all of them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
according to some people, the colleges are all essentially the same (they all have the same properties and utilities). it’s just on the matter of location and accom type. for example, bowland and county are right in the middle so they’re near mostly everything (shops, bus stop, etc) but it also basically means on night outs, it might get very loud. grizeldale, pendle, furness and fylde college are also quite near but there’s a bit more walking (5 minutes i would say). but lonsdale college is the furthest, i think. it’s on the other side of the campus so i’d assume it’d be quite a long walk. county and bowland also have the basic en-suites (which are the cheapest of around £153, if that’s also a deciding factor).

i’m also not a student there yet (also applying for accom) but i’ve looked at the map, and deduced the location myself. hope this helps! :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Callum2574

Daughters at Lancaster uni and there really is no difference. You are making friends with lots of people at lots of different colleges it does not matter. They do college sports/bar competitions with your rival college so it counts when it comes to that, but there is no stereotypical college. Its like they say Grizedale/County is party college but thats just down to the fact they have townhouses which are sociable. They do other types of accommodations at thost colleges, not just townhouses. They say Fylde is sporty and thats down to the have a bar that plays sport on TV. lots of colleges have people that go to the gym or play sports.

If you are going to choose somewhere to live, think about proximity to your department or even the library since you will be spending your time in there. Do you want to roll out of bed and go to your dept? Or somewhere a home away from work and keeping it very separate? or maybe somewhere inbetween? Daughters college was 5-7 mins walk from her department.
Secondly think about what type of accommodation you need. Like if you had a pendle standard or grizedale standard, I know from vlogs and visits that they are in 8's and share 2 bathrooms. Furness is 4-6 students. Townhouses is 6 bathrooms between 12 and a toilet on first floor too.
Thirdly think about price of what you can afford.
This should hopefully narrow things down a bit for you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ghostlady
Daughters at Lancaster uni and there really is no difference. You are making friends with lots of people at lots of different colleges it does not matter. They do college sports/bar competitions with your rival college so it counts when it comes to that, but there is no stereotypical college. Its like they say Grizedale/County is party college but thats just down to the fact they have townhouses which are sociable. They do other types of accommodations at thost colleges, not just townhouses. They say Fylde is sporty and thats down to the have a bar that plays sport on TV. lots of colleges have people that go to the gym or play sports.

If you are going to choose somewhere to live, think about proximity to your department or even the library since you will be spending your time in there. Do you want to roll out of bed and go to your dept? Or somewhere a home away from work and keeping it very separate? or maybe somewhere inbetween? Daughters college was 5-7 mins walk from her department.
Secondly think about what type of accommodation you need. Like if you had a pendle standard or grizedale standard, I know from vlogs and visits that they are in 8's and share 2 bathrooms. Furness is 4-6 students. Townhouses is 6 bathrooms between 12 and a toilet on first floor too.
Thirdly think about price of what you can afford.
This should hopefully narrow things down a bit for you :smile:

Thank you so much for helping me on this!
Reply 4

Have you chosen yours yet? I’m also going to Lancaster and I’ve just put in my preferences this morning
Reply 5
Original post by Sharks04
Have you chosen yours yet? I’m also going to Lancaster and I’ve just put in my preferences this morning

No not yet, still trying to decide.
what did you put as your preferences and why did you choose them?
Reply 6
When I was picking out what college to go to, I looked at the ones which were closest to where my lectures are as well as the distance from central campus. Furness, Fylde, and Bowland are like 5
minutes away whilst Pendle, County and Griezdale are around 10. Lonsdale and Cartmel are the furthest. Also it also depends on the vibe yu have as a person. Im more of a quiet one so I stayed away from party colleges such as griezdale.
Reply 7
No not yet, still trying to decide.
what did you put as your preferences and why did you choose them?

I put pendle as my first because I’ve gone for the show rooms! My biggest fear is living with very messy people so being a show room kinda forces people to be tidy plus it’s nice and cheap! Then I put furness as my second because it’s in a good location for me and the rooms looked nice. Are any of your friends going to Lancaster btw? I literally know no one going
Reply 8
(Original post by Sharks04)I put pendle as my first because I’ve gone for the show rooms! My biggest fear is living with very messy people so being a show room kinda forces people to be tidy plus it’s nice and cheap! Then I put furness as my second because it’s in a good location for me and the rooms looked nice. Are any of your friends going to Lancaster btw? I literally know no one going

No, I'm the only person from my school who applied there.
What are you going to study?
Reply 9
(Original post by Sharks04)I put pendle as my first because I’ve gone for the show rooms! My biggest fear is living with very messy people so being a show room kinda forces people to be tidy plus it’s nice and cheap! Then I put furness as my second because it’s in a good location for me and the rooms looked nice. Are any of your friends going to Lancaster btw? I literally know no one going

No, I'm the only person from my school who applied there.
What are you going to study?

Zoology hbu
Reply 10
Zoology hbu

I'm doing law with a year abroad
Reply 11
I'm doing law with a year abroad

Can I add you on like snap or instagram? I think it would be useful to know someone else going
Reply 12
I put pendle as my first because I’ve gone for the show rooms! My biggest fear is living with very messy people so being a show room kinda forces people to be tidy plus it’s nice and cheap! Then I put furness as my second because it’s in a good location for me and the rooms looked nice. Are any of your friends going to Lancaster btw? I literally know no one going

My eldest shes just finished 3rd year, and studies particle physics and cosmology. She was in Grizedale townhouse in 2020 and chose it whilst lockdowns were happening and thought it would be much better living with as many people as possible. Turned out it was one of the great things she did as they had a themed night each week and movie nights, gaming nights on a big projector that they all clubbed into together to buy. Come second year she moved in with 7 of them and during 2nd year they all go their own friendship groups since restrictions had listed, and she found her little group which she pub quizzes with once a week and also goes to their houses for movie nights. She also has her friends from her subject group which she made via FB fresher group page and there still is a page there now where you can introduce yourself and they will add you to snapchat/insta etc.
As shes a 3rd year now, she decided not to live with her Grizedale first year lot, and lives in private halls in the city which she loves. She plans to live with her friends once her degree is done, she loves Lancaster very much. Eldest drinks (not alcohol) with friends at Pendle bar, its quite a sociable space.

Youngest is also doing Zoology and had Lancaster in her top 5 on UCAS, but its got a higher grade entry. Shes not confident in Geography so shes got Reading first and Chester second. Zoology at Lancaster is at the LEC.
Reply 13
Can I add you on like snap or instagram? I think it would be useful to know someone else going

Yes of course!
My Snapchat is Callummoss11
Reply 14
Yes of course!
My Snapchat is Callummoss11

Thanks I’ll add you now!
Reply 15

i’m thinking of putting furness as my 2nd option too!
Reply 16

I just don't understand what the differences are with all of them

i’m not a student (yet) so can’t be 100% sure but i dont think there really is that much of a major difference really. they all have their own bars/common rooms and probably offer the same events and support, so the main ways i chose were:

1) accommodation choose what room type you want and then see which colleges offer it

2) location on campus most are in the ‘central’ part of campus but there are 3 that are slightly further out (i can’t remember which though sorry)

3) size i think most are the same size but personally i’m hoping to get into furness partly because it’s the smallest one which i prefer, but you may want a bigger one so there’s more of a variety of people etc.

i’m not bothered about sports but if you are i imagine it’s worth looking at the college teams for the sport(s) you’re interested in as well :smile:

hope that helps!
Reply 17
Original post by iixjessa
i’m thinking of putting furness as my 2nd option too!

What are you putting as your first?
Reply 18
What are you putting as your first?

bowland! but i’ve heard it’s really popular because it’s central to the campus so i don’t think i’ll get my first choice
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by iixjessa
bowland! but i’ve heard it’s really popular because it’s central to the campus so i don’t think i’ll get my first choice

Do you think they give out accommodation on a first come first served basis? I mean you’ve put in your application pretty fast in that case so you’ve got a good chance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending