The Student Room Group

shapes and repulsion forces

i am little bit confused with shapes of molecules
let me explain
for example trigonal planar has 3 bonded pair and has angle 120 between bonds because electrons in bond repel from each other
if it has 1 lone pair and two bonded pair repulsion increases pair of electrons move as far as possible and it has angle 118.5 so IF THEY MOVE FURTHER A PART WHY ANGLE DECREASES?????
Original post by Qer
i am little bit confused with shapes of molecules
let me explain
for example trigonal planar has 3 bonded pair and has angle 120 between bonds because electrons in bond repel from each other
if it has 1 lone pair and two bonded pair repulsion increases pair of electrons move as far as possible and it has angle 118.5 so IF THEY MOVE FURTHER A PART WHY ANGLE DECREASES?????

Because the bond angles decrease, as lone pair repulsion is greater than bond repulsion. So therefore the lone pairs exert a force on the bond pairs, forcing the bonds to become closer; hence the bond angles decreasing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by royalsheepy
because the bond angles decrease, as lone pair repulsion is greater than bond repulsion. So therefore the lone pairs exert a force on the bond pairs, forcing the bonds to become closer; hence the bond angles decreasing.

got it
thanks
Original post by Qer
got it
thanks

No problems! If you want to ask anything else, don't hesitate to ask! :h:
Reply 4
Original post by royalsheepy
no problems! If you want to ask anything else, don't hesitate to ask! :h

ok i will
thats very sweet of you

Spoiler